Author Topic: What hat to wear under a hood?  (Read 2524 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
What hat to wear under a hood?
« on: 13:58:16, 26/09/20 »
I lost my waterproof Lowe Alpine peaked cap recently (no idea when or where) and I want to replace it. But before doing so I wondered if anyone has found a better altenative?

I also like to wear such a hat design under the hood of my waterproof jacket when its raining. I've tried beanie types but I'm not that keen on them, I just prefer peaked hats.

So any suggestions please? It needs to be waterproof, not overpoweringly hot when worn (the disadvantage of the Lowe Alpine hat in my view) and it also needs to cover my ears as well.

Thank you.

I've seen the Rohan version at a good price, does anyone own one of these?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: What hat to wear under a hood?
« Reply #1 on: 22:22:23, 26/09/20 »
I have to pose the question. Why do you wear the hat?

Mine is solely for warmth hence I wear the ubiquitous beanie, if I wear one at all.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:00:07, 27/09/20 »
Hair?  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:15:46, 27/09/20 »
When its cold, wet and/or windy I wear my winter hat because it just helps me to feel comfortable and warm. The ear flaps are great when it's windy and if its cold at the same time. I'm just not keen on ear ache which I often get if I am exposed to such weather for too long. I am also bald and that clammy synthetic material feeling on the the top of my head is just not to my liking, the hat between my skin and the hood material offers me that 'double glazing' feeling. On wet days I also like the benefit of the peak that pokes out from under the hood. The only time when I might take off the hat is in really bad wet weather when wind and rain is pounding into my face and I need to get a secure and waterproof seal around my face.

The downside of the Lowe Alpine hat can be due to the inner soft material, it uses a Thinsulate type material and if my head starts to get hot the lining can get damp with perspiration. Once taken off however it does dry very quickly.

If the weather is fine, reasonable and comfortable my hat just hangs on the side of my rucksack.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:05:11, 27/09/20 »
Tilley hat pretty much year round.  Keeps the sun, rain and snow off.  Surprisingly wind resistant when worn with a chin stay and less restrictive and claustrophobic than a hood.  If the weather is that bad my ears are going to get frozen, I find something else to do or somewhere more sheltered to walk.  Failing that, I could always borrow ny daughter's white fluffy ear muffs (I've  done it before in -25C plus wind chill - I was prepared to sacrifce dignity in preference to frostbite)
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:17:46, 27/09/20 »
Have you thought of a buff. Can pull over the top covering ears and pate. Or pull down to keep just ears warm, pull up front for temporary face mask. They can be extremely versatile, and the ones I buy dry extremely quickly when washed. I also carry a sheemagh which can do all the above plus act as a towel and a modesty changing skirt thing when necesary as my tent is too small for me to change in. (as an aside, my poncho is best as a modesty shield, but I don't always carry it.)
Too little, too late, too bad......

Viclikestowalk

« Reply #6 on: 17:12:35, 27/09/20 »
I like a peaked cap to keep the rain off my glasses, being in the UK, I like to set off with the assumption that at some point it’s going to rain!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:35:56, 27/09/20 »
Thanks, I could consider a Tilley hat but it seems a lot of money to pay out just for the colder months and I've had a buff, very good but not the sort of thing I'm looking for this time. The Lowe Alpine style is what I'm looking for, I've now idetified a few models, just need to look more closely at what they are made from. I've decided against the Paramo one, for me the peak is just too wide. The hat I want also has to cover my ears.

I've looked at the waterproof version of my sunhat, the Sunday Afternoon Ultra Adventure model, but although I've loved using my summer version this year, the waterproof version presents the same problem as the Paramo hat, the peak is just too wide and of course I wouldn't need to protect my neck from winter sun and its not designed to cover my ears either.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:37:04, 27/09/20 »
Much of the year, I wear a baseball cap , either to keep the sun off my head or the rain off my glasses. It really aids the peak on a hood. I have a variety, from a folding one that slips in a pocket, to one designed for sailing that has a rather handy cord that clips to a collar to catch it when it blows off.
When it gets colder, I switch to the same type I guess your Lowe Alipne was. SealSkinz does a range for cold or extreme cold (the latter I got for my partner).

Thinking about this has reminded me of the feeling the first time I took off my Buffalo hood in three days. It had grown to be a part of me!
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:25:41, 27/09/20 »
Thanks for the suggestion, I've had a look but a bit too elaborate and over the top for what I'm looking for I'm afraid.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:53:26, 27/09/20 »
I've decided against the Paramo one, for me the peak is just too wide. The hat I want also has to cover my ears.
I have a paramo waterproof hat which can cover my ears when folded down and the peak isn't as wide as my sun hat. Perhaps the style has changed.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Eyelet

« Reply #12 on: 22:03:28, 27/09/20 »
I use a Berghaus Goretex mountain cap. It is more breathable, less sweaty and less warm than a Lowe Mountain Cap. O0

https://www.berghaus.com/pro-mountain-peak-ii/434350.html

I use a Lowe cap in the winter or a custom fleece lined knitted wool beanie made by Mrs E.

Eyelet

« Reply #13 on: 22:09:10, 27/09/20 »
I only put my hood up if it is blowing a hoolie or raining.
« Last Edit: 22:12:14, 27/09/20 by Eyelet »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:31:58, 28/09/20 »
I have my list to choose from, the Lowe Alpine, one from Sealskin, one from Extremities, one from Montane and one from Highlander. They all look very similar.

I am also considering one called the Raidlight MP which looks a bit different.

Decisions, decision????

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy