Author Topic: Viewranger on Huawei  (Read 1861 times)

AFANASIEW

Viewranger on Huawei
« on: 14:29:12, 17/03/19 »
Anyone else had problems with getting Viewranger to keep plotting your route on a Huawei phone? I've Googled it and changed all the settings as advised, but not been able to find the appropriate android update.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

MarkT

Re: Viewranger on Huawei
« Reply #1 on: 16:28:44, 17/03/19 »
Back in September I had an Huawei phone and never had any problems with Viewranger. I managed to track about 10 routes, including some in The Lakes I had walked and had no problems with it. Until I dropped the phone into Scale Force waterfall and was lost forever (human error rather than a technology fail!).

So don't know if you mean a recent problem or just a general issue with their app.

Ronin83

« Reply #2 on: 17:39:53, 17/03/19 »
I had a problem once. I can't remember the solution, but I remember getting it from viewrangers customer service because I couldnt find it online. They're normally quite helpful

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:55:42, 17/03/19 »
I know someone who cant run VR on his Huawei. I dont know if he's sorted it yet.

Pitboot

« Reply #4 on: 18:21:16, 17/03/19 »
No problem on mine.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:28:21, 17/03/19 »
Give their help desk an email.  They are very helpful  and must be patient if they can deal with the likes of me to my utmost satisfaction
Too little, too late, too bad......

AFANASIEW

« Reply #6 on: 21:57:13, 17/03/19 »
Give their help desk an email.  They are very helpful  and must be patient if they can deal with the likes of me to my utmost satisfaction
Might try that. Although I'm passing the phone to my wife and getting another Samsung instead.

wobblyknees

« Reply #7 on: 22:29:14, 17/03/19 »
By sheer coincidence, I think I solved this problem on my new Huawei only this afternoon (if it is the same problem).
I got separated from my group and finished ahead of them.
To pass the time while waiting for them I persevered with this problem on Wikiloc. I know its a different app but I think the same fix applies to Viewranger. The problem lies with Huawei's phone settings, not the app.
Here's how I fixed it on Wikiloc:
Click profile
click settings
click advanced settings
click "Troubleshoot recording problems"
click Battery optimisation (I'm not sure of the exact route into this as my phone now has the problem fixed and may be throwing up a slightly different menu)
Scroll down to Wikiloc and change to "Not allowed" i.e. don't allow battery optimisation for Wikiloc as it curtails how often the location finder searches for a signal.

While there I also disallowed battery optimisation on Viewranger.

Caveat. I don't know yet if this solves the problem. Have to wait until I bring the dog for a walk tomorrow.

Might try that. Although I'm passing the phone to my wife and getting another Samsung instead.

I lost my Samsung  a few weeks ago and felt exactly as you do. Now I'm not so sure. The Huawei is slooowley growing on me.

wobblyknees

« Reply #8 on: 22:57:13, 05/04/19 »
Forgot to mention in my last post:

You also need to do the following on both apps (Viewranger and Wickiloc):

On phone go to Settings >Battery>App launch>Viewranger (or Wikiloc)>Manage manually>Run in background. (Enable)

When finished recording, to save battery, don't forget to access same again and disable run in background.

I now find my Huawei P Smart 2019 a far superior phone to my ancient Samsung Galaxy S4.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #9 on: 07:53:26, 06/04/19 »
Thanks, but am now running Viewranger quite happily on my Samsung Galaxy. Fortunately the wife is pleadef with the Huawei too. Win win.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:06:41, 06/04/19 »

Thanks, but am now running Viewranger quite happily on my Samsung Galaxy. Fortunately the wife is pleadef with the Huawei too. Win win.

Do you toss her a bone after your meal too?  :)

AFANASIEW

« Reply #11 on: 12:43:42, 06/04/19 »
Do you toss her a bone after your meal too?  :)
We have an arrangement. I get her cast-off undies.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:26:23, 06/04/19 »
We have an arrangement. I get her cast-off undies.

:o I've heard that there are men like that!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy