Author Topic: Using public transport to get to walks during the pandemic  (Read 2190 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Has anyone done this recently? What was your experience? Did you feel safe?

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Our rural bus services are back but there never seems to be anyone on them when they drive past our house.  If yours are the same, it should not be an issue.  Personally, I would use hand sanitiser after alighting and make a point of not touching anything while travelling.  A set of disposable gloves that you could bag and bin might be a good idea too.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Our rural bus services are back but there never seems to be anyone on them when they drive past our house.  If yours are the same, it should not be an issue.  Personally, I would use hand sanitiser after alighting and make a point of not touching anything while travelling.  A set of disposable gloves that you could bag and bin might be a good idea too.

Yes, I've noticed that the busses around here are empty. A small bottle of hand sanitiser now lives in my rucksack, and a doubled up buff will do for an impromptu face covering (I accept that it will not do much good, but if the bus or train is empty, then that isn't an issue).

Thedogsmother

I must admit I haven't used public transport during the recent pandemic, but I was a regular user of trains and buses beforehand. Given that the guidance here is only use it if the travel is essential I'd feel awkward about boarding a bus with my hiking backpack on. I had hoped to do a long distance walk this year but what I want to do is not feasible without public transport. Will just have to suck it up I suppose and hope to be able to do it next year sometime depending on how everything pans out. Buses here have been passing with very few if any passengers.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
I’ve used trains a few times in recent weeks.

I’ve felt much safer than shopping...they are running practically empty.
« Last Edit: 06:51:21, 17/07/20 by pauldawes »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Thank you for the replies. I too feel a bit uncomfortable about it, but if they are almost empty, then I seen no harm.

April

• Veteran Member
Beefy is using the train today to get from Manchester to Cumbria for the first time since lockdown. I will ask him how busy it was later.

The local bus service near my house, the 685, has more people on now in the mornings for people going to work but other buses I see during the day have very few people on them.
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
I recently used buses for the first time since lockdown to access a walk. There were very few people on them. I wore a face covering, took hand sanitiser with me and used a ticket bought in advance on a smartcard.

I found the experience to be much easier than going to the supermarket in the current situation.

April

• Veteran Member
I found the experience to be much easier than going to the supermarket in the current situation.

My local Tesco is operating now as if nothing is happening, no arrows, no waiting to get in, only asking people to stay 2m apart. People are not staying 2m apart so it seems like back to normal. Not that everyone followed the arrows or maintained 2m distance before mind! It will be interesting to see how many people comply and wear a face covering from next Friday.
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Our buses are limiting the number of people who are allowed on. I've seen signs in the front window saying 'bus full' when there are 5 or 6 people down stairs. This can be annoying for people who are trying to get on after a main stop as they are always full.

I know people who have used trains, including the sleeper, all of which were empty. Also my brother in law has flown to Scotland and said that he could be 2m away from any other passenger by not sitting in his allocated seat.

April

• Veteran Member
Beefy reports the train is almost empty  :)
Hate will never win

BrionyB

I haven't, not because of fears about my personal safety, but because some transport operators (e.g. the Settle/Carlisle railway) are still saying they should be used for essential travel only. So it's more fear of meeting with disapproval or being turned away. I also hear that areas such as the Lakes are (no doubt understandably) not keen to welcome visitors from other parts of the country at the moment.

I don't drive (did pass my test years ago, but never really got to grips with driving independently) so hillwalking has been off the cards for months, sadly. Starting to think maybe I should make another attempt at it...

harland

• Veteran Member
Starting to think maybe I should make another attempt at it...
Go for it millions of others do it so it can't be that hard! If concerned about breaking down then join one of the rescue services and take your phone.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
I haven't, not because of fears about my personal safety, but because some transport operators (e.g. the Settle/Carlisle railway) are still saying they should be used for essential travel only. So it's more fear of meeting with disapproval or being turned away. I also hear that areas such as the Lakes are (no doubt understandably) not keen to welcome visitors from other parts of the country at the moment.

I don't drive (did pass my test years ago, but never really got to grips with driving independently) so hillwalking has been off the cards for months, sadly. Starting to think maybe I should make another attempt at it...

Local trains and busses are virtually empty here in the lakes, Briony, so I wouldn't worry.

The roads are another matter - we drove back from Edinburgh to the South Lakes yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, M74 and M6 pretty quiet, but the A590 coming out of the South Lakes was tailed back for a mile or so with people waiting to join the M6 southbound at Junction 36 - luckily we were on the other side of the road!

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
I've not used public transport since the lockdown began. Many local buses have 'Bus Full' signs on their destination blinds and I wouldn't want to be stranded in a rural area with a limited service.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy