Author Topic: Burrator Reservoir, Meavy & Sheepstor Village  (Read 4272 times)

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Burrator Reservoir, Meavy & Sheepstor Village
« on: 14:59:43, 08/05/15 »
About three weeks ago I fell off a ladder and injured my back so I have been unable to get out walking since.  However, yesterday it was feeling a little better so I decided to go for a short 4.5 mile walk together with my wife in order to start building up my fitness level again.
We started from Burrator Reservoir.

We took the path down below the dam through the trees.

Coming out of the trees we crossed a field full of ewes with their lambs.

Leaving the field we entered the village of Meavy with its ancient oak tree, said to be over 900 years old.

After passing through the village we turned left onto a footpath, heading in the direction of the small hamlet of Lovaton.

Beside the path we came across this lovely patch of Turkey Tail fungus growing on a log.

After passing through Lovaton we headed up the lane, whose hedges were awash with Pink Purslane.

At the top of the hill we turned left onto another footpath, again full of wild flowers.

Our route then took us to Marchant's Cross, probably erected in the 13th century.  Shame about the power lines and pole.

We then followed the two sheep along the lane, eventually arriving at the lovely old Yeo Farm.  The date above the door reads 1610.

From there we took a footpath leading into Burrator Wood, always full of bluebells at this time of year.

Leaving the wood we crossed a field with cows and their calves.  Fortunately their mothers were quite docile and took no notice of us.

Coming out of the fiels we had a good view of Sheepstor village with its namesake tor in the background.

We then followed the lane through the village, passing the church with its old cross.

From there it was a short walk along the road back to Burrator Reservoir.

Although this was only a short walk thre were plenty of quite high stiles and by the time we got back to the car my back was killing me, so I think it's going to be quite a while before I will be able to get back to more strenuous longer Dartmoor walks. :(    

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Burrator Reservoir, Meavy & Sheepstor Village
« Reply #1 on: 15:02:52, 08/05/15 »
Been a while since I'm been to Burrator.  Thanks for the great pics, brings back the memories.
Where there's a will ...

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:12:46, 08/05/15 »
Thanks sussamb, glad you enjoyed the pics.

CallMeSteven

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:14:47, 08/05/15 »
Lovely photos and background to your walk. Short easy walks and hopefully your back will gradually get back to normal. It's got to
better than sitting in a chair all day  O0

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:27:05, 08/05/15 »
Thanks Steven.  Yes, I hate sitting in a chair all day.  I start getting withdrawal symptoms if I go more than a couple of days without walking. ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:27:40, 08/05/15 »
Lovely, thank you - I'm filing this route away do myself.
Sorry your back is preventing you enjoying Dartmoor at the moment - not that there would be any views up there today - hope you are soon walking the tors again.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:31:01, 08/05/15 »
Very nice photos Dave.  The Pink Purslane looked to be a lovely show  O0  Hard to believe it's native to Siberia!

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:31:33, 08/05/15 »
Thanks Jac.  I am sure you would enjoy this walk.  This is the best time to do it, while the bluebells are still out.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:33:22, 08/05/15 »
Thanks sunnydale.  Yes, the Pink Purslane is beautiful when there is a lot of it in one place.  I didn't know it originated in Siberia.

thomasdevon

« Reply #9 on: 11:41:44, 09/05/15 »
Charming springtime pics, thank you. I hope to be up there myself soon.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:47:14, 09/05/15 »
Thanks Thomas.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:37:22, 09/05/15 »
Some lovely photos Dave and looked a delightful walk. Worth going for the bluebells.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the back  O0  When I fell off a ladder by the time I came out of hospital my wife had cut the ladder up for firewood to stop me using it again  :(

Regards Keith

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:10:28, 09/05/15 »
Thanks Keith.  Fortunately my injuries were not too serious, cuts and severe bruising including internal bruising, but thankfully no permanent damage.  My wife tells me I shouldn't be going up ladders at my age.  Just waiting to get back to serious walking again now O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy