Author Topic: Viewranger V Garmin  (Read 2322 times)

Davon

Viewranger V Garmin
« on: 22:21:36, 16/10/19 »
Hi
 I have a INreach sat phone on a safety plan and pay monthly for subs . Im considering moving to. freedom plan where it can be suspended /reactivated at will.
This may be better as I don't use it sometimes for 2 months at a time .
Is anyone on this type of plan ? There is a monthly cost but how is it calculated ( days active ?) Also an annual £25 charge .

Is Viewranger  BUDDY BEACON the same and FREE ??

Thanks

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Viewranger V Garmin
« Reply #1 on: 06:44:22, 17/10/19 »
VR depends on a mobile signal, rather than linking via satellites, but yes, buddy beacon is free.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:28:08, 17/10/19 »
To elaborate on that. The VR app is free and does not require a signal for the navigation function but the Buddy Beacon element needs a mobile signal to report your position to a third party.  If the signal is lost, it will catch up once the signal is regained. The reporting interval can be set by the user.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:20:07, 17/10/19 »
To elaborate on that. The VR app is free and does not require a signal for the navigation function but the Buddy Beacon element needs a mobile signal to report your position to a third party.  If the signal is lost, it will catch up once the signal is regained. The reporting interval can be set by the user.

Before my multiple-day walk in north Wales last month I installed an app (not the above) on my phone and gave my wife and sons the website url, my user name and password.

I was soon without a phone signal, and all my family saw on the map on the website was a track of me for about a mile after I set off, and a track of me returning to my starting point at the end of the third day.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:37:49, 17/10/19 »
Before my multiple-day walk in north Wales last month I installed an app (not the above) on my phone and gave my wife and sons the website url, my user name and password.

I was soon without a phone signal, and all my family saw on the map on the website was a track of me for about a mile after I set off, and a track of me returning to my starting point at the end of the third day.
  That is quite unusual, most high ground in Wales and England has a signal these days (I can't speak for Scotland).  It is for that reason that I usually text the time of leaving each peak to home base.  If there is an issue with the going such as low cloud or bad weather, I add that in to the message.
Valleys are more of an issue, for example, my phone was always without a signal virtually all the way from Glenridding to the A66.  If the app you were using pinged at regular but infrequent intervals, I suppose you could have been unlucky but it seems odd.  You weren't in the Carneddau were you?  They were always a signal less desert.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:45:20, 17/10/19 »
Nope, I was in the southern Arenigs, walking northwards from Rhydymain (a little village by the A494 north-east of Dolgellau) towards Dduallt and Cwm yr Allt-Lwyd.

My provider is BT, who I've found to be a darn sight better than O2 were for getting signals when I used to be with them, but I hadn't gone that far into the hills before I had no reception.

On the morning of day three I was on a minor summit, 480m, when checking my grid ref on my phone I noticed I had a very weak signal so I tried calling my wife, but it kept dropping the call. (No, she was NOT hanging up on me  :) .)

In the afternoon when I was descending the north-south forestry track, my phone suddenly bleeped with a couple of texts, but that signal was quickly lost and it wasn't until I reached the start of the tarmac lane that I was able to let her know I was alive and well.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:21:07, 17/10/19 »
Hi
 I have a INreach sat phone on a safety plan and pay monthly for subs . Im considering moving to. freedom plan where it can be suspended /reactivated at will.
This may be better as I don't use it sometimes for 2 months at a time .
Is anyone on this type of plan ? There is a monthly cost but how is it calculated ( days active ?) Also an annual £25 charge .

Is Viewranger  BUDDY BEACON the same and FREE ??

I have an inReach SE on the freedom plan, it cost me £14.99 per month when it's active, in use I pay 10p per plotting point I used 49 on my last trip (8 days). I have it set at the lowest number of points per hour. Weather reports are £1 each but they're very basic I used 2. I sent 12 texts which came to £1, (10 free then 50p each). When you reinstate it you pay per month, even if you don't use it till the end of the month.
I've not had any bother getting through but it can take a while for a message to be picked up, I think the longest I've had to wait was ten minutes. I've used mine in Scandinavia and Scotland where mobile coverage is poor or non-existant. Coverage is actually better in most of Scandinavia than it is in the Highlands. 

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: 20:44:41, 20/10/19 »
VR depends on a mobile signal, rather than linking via satellites, but yes, buddy beacon is free.

How do I obtain free beacon buddy. It appears to need a subscription the minimum of which is 4.99 a year.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:01:13, 20/10/19 »

How do I obtain free beacon buddy. It appears to need a subscription the minimum of which is 4.99 a year.
Buddy Beacon is part of the ViewRanger app which is free.  Download the app, register and then you can use VR and BB. If you want to follow someone, they must have activated BB on the app.  You can then track them via the VR website. You will need their username and PIN to see them. The 4.99 is a mapping subscription which is only necessary if you want to use OS maps in VR. ViewRanger’s own maps are free.
Solvitur Ambulando

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: 21:43:20, 21/10/19 »
Still can't activate Buddy beacon. I am logged in. Can see all the maps except OS. I go to settings and then beacon. Then my beacon pin. A pop up appears that says subscription feature. I click on upgrade and the cheapest I can find is £4.99 per year. Is there an option that I am missing?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:03:23, 21/10/19 »
What you describe is unfamiliar to me.  I was an early adopter and perhaps I have a different membership, I believe they exist. I have only seen subscriptions required for premium mapping.   I suggest you contact the VR support..  They are very good and reply quite quickly.

Edit:
Just had a dig on the website. It appears BB is a Premium service so yes a subscription is required.  Sorry, I got free Premium membership for being an early adopter so I wasn’t seeing the same messages.
« Last Edit: 22:09:29, 21/10/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:14:49, 21/10/19 »
You need to be a registered user, but I don't believe that means you have to buy maps.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:38:00, 21/10/19 »
If you Google ViewRanger Subscriptions or ViewRanger Premium you can see the services available for Premium membership. Buddybeacon is listed as one of the options.

As I said, I didn't realise it was a benefit as I got it for free. I wasn't using BB at the time as it ate the batteries of the phone I had at the time.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:41:29, 21/10/19 »
Yes, I see that but you don't have to take out a plan.  In the buddy beacon section it just says you must be registered. I've emailed them for their comments  O0
« Last Edit: 22:45:47, 21/10/19 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:15:56, 21/10/19 »
Quick response, they've confirmed you need a plan so ninthace is correct  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy