Author Topic: Parking and farmers  (Read 7632 times)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Parking and farmers
« Reply #1 on: 18:12:07, 16/11/17 »
How would you like it, if half the country decided to pay a visit to your neighbourhood, and needlessly blocked access to your farm or fields for several hours.
I agree that the damage to this 4x4 looks pretty malicious, but if the owner of the vehicle had parked more carefully and respectfully, the farmer would not have had to cause the damage to the car.

Farmers are busy people, and cannot wait several hours for careless owners of vehicles to return to  badly parked vehicles.

Its the owners fault, park more respectfully next time.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:31:34, 16/11/17 »
Yes but it was Remembrance Day. Compassion should have prevailed, in spite of some poor parking.
The farmer must be aware that this happens once a year, he could let them get on with it while he did something else that day.
« Last Edit: 18:40:29, 16/11/17 by fernman »

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:34:51, 16/11/17 »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:50:55, 16/11/17 »
There's a second thread on this. Seathwaite

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35559.msg507263;topicseen#msg507263
I didn’t see that one so I’ll defer to that thread as it started first, for what it’s worth, I have sympathies with the farmer, but no need for that level of damage especially on Remembrance Day as fernman said.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #5 on: 22:39:40, 16/11/17 »
If your going to use Remembrance day as an excuse, why weren't the owners of these vehicles in Church or a remembrance parade somewhere instead of getting in the way of someone who has to work more hours than anyone else ?
 Sure the damage is excessive but justified once the level of frequency and frustration is taken into account.. Farmers don't get a salary, they are self employed. If someone prevented you from working and effected your income when you have to work 12- 14 hour days, you would snap eventually..

The perspective here is, this is so shocking because it has happened once or twice over many years and bad parking happens in spite of the consequences.. The worry when you leave your car is more weather your car will be broken into, stolen or damaged by another motorist NOT by a tractor driving stressed Nutter.. The lesson here is, don't stress the driver of a much larger vehicle.. If we all think about how we would like to be treated and act accordingly with consideration there would be more love to go around.. Spread the Love people..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:22:21, 16/11/17 »
I stand by exactly what I said and I did say I have sympathies with the farmer. Let’s assume it’s “justified” for the reasons you state, what if we all go over the top and take matters into our own hands because a few people have been inconsiderate and selfish to us, get my drift?

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:15:26, 17/11/17 »
As tenmilesplus believes that the damage to the cars was justified I presume that he would accept that the car drivers would be justified in damaging the equipment of the farmer (if known).

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:30:02, 17/11/17 »
It is pretty frustrating when visitors to the countryside interrupt the flow of agricultural work, especially during corn harvest. Back in the dim and distant past when I was a farm manager, I was preparing the way to move two combine harvesters from one farm to another and this meant bringing them through narrow roads in the village. To ensure the swift movement of a convoy that included tractors and trailers, I went ahead to prepare the way and open gates. The field with the most direct approach to the corn at the best stage for combining was down a short lane about 50yds to the gate, off the road. When I got there I found a car parked half way down it, I went to the gate and saw a couple lying under a tree about 150 yds away, I did not have time too run up the field and tell them to move else the convoy would have to stop in the village, but I did notice that they were in a very advance state of coitus (short strokes). Pushing the gate open noisily, I dashed back to see if I could halt the procession of farm machinery at a more convenient place.
I could see the entrance of the field from the grain store at the farm, as I was about to stop the leading combine harevester, I saw the offending car disappear up the road driving away, so they entered the field unhindered.

Soon the barley was being trailered back from that field, having weighed the first trailer, it was tipped into a 6  inch auger that shifted about 20 tons per hour and blew the grain into a 10 ft high stack. I saw a flash of colour through the stream of grain from the top of the auger, fearing a contaminant I banged the emergency switch just as a pair of knickers hit the slope of the grain and slowly descended the pile to my feet.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:25:59, 17/11/17 »
I was amazed and surprised to see an interview on television some months ago, where children were asked had they ever seen a sheep or cow.

According to the last UK census, only a tiny 17% of the Uks 65million population live in the rural countryside, the rest live near or in the major cities, so possibly millions of uk residents have never seen a beach, mountain or running stream from a lofty mountain peak.

I cannot remember what part of the country this school group were from, but their eyes were on stalks when they were shown a video of a beautiful pastoral country scene, full of these mysterious creatures.

The majority of them had only seen pictures of the animals, and they had simply no idea where our daily pinta came from, or the wool of their school jumpers.

There are a huge number of adults who share a similar perspective on our countryside, many of them have never seen a mountain, and when they see them for the first time, they do not know how to behave when their amongst their splendour.

The dropping of litter, allowing their dogs to run wild amongst sheep, parking in the most inappropriate places.

Is it any wonder, that adults behave in a certain disrespectful manner when visiting the countryside, most of them have no comprehension of a farmers hectic and busy schedule.

They see the stunning scenery, and park their car in the most opportune location.

When they return to see their car badly damaged, they rightfully get extremely angry.

What right has anyone got to destroy my property.

The farmer responsible, is just another member of the public, and few of the visitors can understand his way of life.
« Last Edit: 11:42:31, 17/11/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:29:43, 17/11/17 »
There is no way you would have got a fire engine down the road so all the drivers of those cars were that parked illegally should be charged with obstruction.They can claim for any damages on their insurance.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:45:15, 17/11/17 »
If your going to use Remembrance day as an excuse, why weren't the owners of these vehicles in Church or a remembrance parade somewhere

There's a service held on Great Gable, as per the link in the first post.

I have a lot of sympathy for the farmer, the drivers were inconsiderate, but by doing this he's made himself the villain.
« Last Edit: 16:49:35, 17/11/17 by Strider »
Not all those who wander are lost

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:35:23, 18/11/17 »
Sure the damage is excessive but justified once the level of frequency and frustration is taken into account.
Sorry, run that past us again. If someone is 'frustrated' on more than one occasion they are justified in criminal damage? So much for the rule of law.

Of course visitors should park considerately on public highways. But failure to do so does not confer on other road users the right to trash cars.

... the drivers were inconsiderate, but by doing this he's made himself the villain.
Exactly.
Skip

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:47:59, 18/11/17 »
I am sure you would think differently, if somebody blocked the driveway to your home for several hours, just to go shopping.
Its happened several times over the years, to my friends, who live on Anglesea, and all you get from the owners on their return, is sorry, we did not realise we were blocking your access, when it was blatantly obvious they were in the wrong.

They simply do not care, and because parking is at a premium during the busy summer months, they park where they want, regardless of the inconvenience to residents.

No farmer would cause such wilful damage to several vehicles unless the situation of poor parking was such an issue to his lively hood.

The damage to the rear of the Touring BMW, is substantial, obviously caused by someone in great anger, not by a casual farmer failing to stop, because his vehicle is bigger than yours, and its best you give him right of way.

Farmers regularly have to drive large vehicles up narrow roads, to gain access to their properties,  Remembrance day or not, the cars were parked needlessly blocking his access .

Or do we expect him to wait quietly and patiently for several hours, for the motorists to return to their vehicles.

I have no sympathy for them at all, serves them right for blocking a narrow road, they will learn by their costly mistake.
« Last Edit: 12:10:56, 18/11/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:54:03, 18/11/17 »
DA - no one is contesting that the drivers were in the wrong by parking in an inconsiderate manner. I like most people on this forum I suspect are sympathetic towards farmers, but dress it up how you like, the damage caused cannot be justified.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy