Author Topic: Pennine Way or Coast to Coast  (Read 19353 times)

C2C10

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way or Coast to Coast
« Reply #15 on: 00:32:47, 30/07/13 »
I liked the idea of cycling the Pennine Cycleway, but don't fancy the hassle of getting the bike on train. So, maybe looking like the coast to coast instead. Anyone fancy joining me for a 12 day trip, camping. O0

Martin von Prague

« Reply #16 on: 17:01:24, 15/12/13 »
Hi again, has anyone of you done the Coast to Coast Walk in April? What's the weather like this time of year? Especially in the mountains of Lake District.

(the same question applies for the Pennine Way, but I suppose the answer will be quite similar :) )
« Last Edit: 17:14:48, 15/12/13 by Martin von Prague »

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:49:05, 15/12/13 »
Hi again, has anyone of you done the Coast to Coast Walk in April? What's the weather like this time of year? Especially in the mountains of Lake District.

(the same question applies for the Pennine Way, but I suppose the answer will be quite similar :) )

I did it East to West in April 2011, it was 'Hot'. have a look at my blog, it will give you an idea, however of course, it could also be cold and wet, but often we do have a good week in April. to be honest when i did it it was too hot.
http://c2c-slogger.blogspot.co.uk/

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 08:38:01, 16/12/13 »

As yourself the question what is the weather like in April in Northern England in April - Answer anything from a foot of snow to 27C and a drought. If the weather turns bad the C2C will be a slightly better bet.

In April both will be quiet.  I think I would favour the C2C at that time of year - although I have done both and enjoyed them equally.

Stottie

« Reply #19 on: 13:04:35, 16/12/13 »
In April I've done the PW(2013) and the C2C(2008 - I think!) and the weather was entirely different in terms of temperature, wind direction, wind strength and rain.
The climate in the UK is fickle, in that there is no season or month that is guaranteed to be wild, or settled, or wet, or dry. In April one should be prepared for some snow on high ground.

Martin von Prague

« Reply #20 on: 19:40:09, 17/12/13 »
Thanks guys. So the weather will be unpredictable. That sounds like fun  :P

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:40:07, 16/02/14 »
Tesco or Sainsburys, probably no. However, the major towns on the Coast to Coast are Kirkby Stephen and Richmond, offer the likes of Co-op and the odd independent grocery shop such as Spar, Nisa and Martin McColls. Other small towns/villages on the Coast to Coast are Cleator, Grasmere, Patterdale, Shap, Orton, Reeth, Swainby (off route) Glaisdale, Grosmont and Robin Hoods Bay. These offer the odd grocery shop, butchers and post office, who will sell you basic provisions like eggs, milk, bread and some offer a good range of groceries and other goodies. So, really there is no worry about getting your food or drink. The only thing, you need to know, is the section between Ingleby Cross and Grosmont does have no shop on that section (apart from Swainby, a little off-route at Huthwaite Green) But saying that, hopefully the Lord Stones Cafe will reopen in August and there is of cause the Lion Inn, which does offers excellent meals and beers.

Thanks for this info C2C10. This was one of the questions I registered here to ask - specifically about shops between Ingleby Cross and Robin Hood's Bay.

I've got the new edition of Stedman's book on order from amazon - comes out mid-March - but I'm eager to get on with my planning.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:00:28, 17/02/14 »
Having done both both ways I personally would choose the Pennine Way, North to South.

bilzebub

« Reply #23 on: 20:52:22, 08/09/18 »
Hi, hope I can revive this tthread as we are looking to do the Pennine Way in July 2019!
May I ask why North to South is better? We are looking at booking through Contours as we are coming from Canada and have used them before (though we booked the C2C ourselves & used Sherpa Van for the bags, they don't do the whole PW route, apparently)

Also, Contours offers various itineraries from 13-21 days. I know that the PW is more of a challenge than the C2C, but how many days might you guesstimate for people who have done the C2C in 11 days (carrying only daypacks and using a luggage transfer service)? We like to cover 30-35k a day generally (2 years ago we did the GR65 from Geneva to lePuy averaging 33k), and are not "racing" it so much as we like to walk for about 8 hours and find that accommodations don't want you anyhow before 3-4 pm.

Bill

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:17:38, 08/09/18 »
I've done it twice south to north.  Next year I'm planning a C2C in 12 days, and took just over 14 days on my last PW. Could have done 14 but decided to overnight in the Cheviots rather than arrive late evening on my 14th day, so I suspect 14 or 15 days would suit you.

Can't advise whether north to south is better as haven't done it that way, yet!
Where there's a will ...

mow1701

« Reply #25 on: 17:53:56, 10/09/18 »
Just seen on page 1 someone quoting me- I’ve never been quoted before! :)  Anyway this summer(August 2018) I’ve just done Pennine Way end to end over 18 days, South to North and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely more sociable in evenings as I ended up being on a timetable similar to others which made pub banter in the evening great. So I’ve now done the pennine way twice fully and in 2 halves once. I live near Blackstone Edge and paints the  White Hill Trig point on Pennine Way so you can tell which one I prefer. Whenever I meet someone doing the walk I’m always envious and start thinking maybe just one more time. It never really enters in my thoughts doing the Coast to Coast again. I’ve done lots of the National Trails and for me the Pennine Way is the original and best O0  Only advice don’t rush it the more time you can allocate the more you’ll enjoy the scenery. I did Middleton in Teesdale to Dufton in one day but wished I’d split it like I did before
« Last Edit: 18:00:51, 10/09/18 by mow1701 »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:26:16, 10/09/18 »
Middleton To Dufton, the last time I did it it was brilliant sunshine, a great section of the PW.

forest view

« Reply #27 on: 16:35:59, 31/10/18 »
Hi, hope I can revive this tthread as we are looking to do the Pennine Way in July 2019!
May I ask why North to South is better? We are looking at booking through Contours as we are coming from Canada and have used them before (though we booked the C2C ourselves & used Sherpa Van for the bags, they don't do the whole PW route, apparently)

Also, Contours offers various itineraries from 13-21 days. I know that the PW is more of a challenge than the C2C, but how many days might you guesstimate for people who have done the C2C in 11 days (carrying only daypacks and using a luggage transfer service)? We like to cover 30-35k a day generally (2 years ago we did the GR65 from Geneva to lePuy averaging 33k), and are not "racing" it so much as we like to walk for about 8 hours and find that accommodations don't want you anyhow before 3-4 pm.

Bill
Update Sherpa now does bags all the way. Joyce
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:11:00, 31/10/18 »
Update Sherpa now does bags all the way. Joyce

My eyes lit up at the thought of them taking a bag all of the PW, then I saw the prices. Not very cost effective for a solo hiker, especially compared to the C2C prices  :o

Minimum 2 bags per move across the route unless otherwise stated
Edale to Malham: £17.50 per bag per move
Malham to Alston: £9.50 per bag per move
Alston to Greenhead: £28.00 for 1 – 4 bags per move
Greenhead to Byrness: £9.50 per bag per move
Byrenss to Kirk Yetholm: £19.00 per bag per move
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

forest view

« Reply #29 on: 21:37:52, 31/10/18 »
Thats one of the downsides of choosing a trail that is very hilly or mountainous the baggage handlers can`t just drive over the mountains they have to go around which takes much longer and uses a lot more deisel which is 30% more expensive than it was 8 months ago.Byrness to KY is over 60 mile round trip along mostly single track roads and takes over 2 hours and uses a fair bit of fuel.  It is there as an option, different people have different priorities.
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy