Author Topic: Newbie looking for advice from Hikers / Trekkers  (Read 1782 times)

alstras

Hi all,
I'm a (complete!) newbie in hiking and trekking in general - I am starting off by doing the 3 peaks in about a week or so, although I have done other treks / walks (South Downs etc.).
Obviously the 3 peaks is a good start but the trails in the UK are rather limited - I would love to hear about people's favourite european hikes and trails!
If anyone has any advice on doing the 3 peaks, it is also greatly appreciated!
On a side note, as a fun side project - Ive started creating a backpack which is intended as a day pack with a number of uses, of which one is hiking. It is mid-development, i.e I have a prototype in hand - yet will perfect this to reach a final pre-launch product.
It is equipped with a detachable & portable solar panel & charger capable of 12 full phone charges with a few extra features.

I was wondering if any expert hikers (I know there are quite a few on here) would be interested in working with me to perfect the bag and its features for day-hiking!

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 17:16:45, 05/08/18 by alstras »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Newbie looking for advice from Hikers / Trekkers
« Reply #1 on: 17:33:01, 05/08/18 »
Wow that is some weight you are planning on carrying. If you have a bank with solar charging why do you actually need 12 charge capability?
To me the most important thing about a bag is the amount it can carry comfortably, that it weighs as little as possible, is fully ventilated and is intrinsically strong. Then there is the support system (shoulder straps, waistband) the ease with which to access water, phones, snack, fruit pastilles, etc..
They must be absolutely utilitarian and not fashion inspired items.
« Last Edit: 18:05:24, 05/08/18 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Murphy

« Reply #2 on: 17:42:34, 05/08/18 »
I'd be interested to know why you feel the trails in UK are limited if you are a "complete' newbie to hiking. Limited in what way?

alstras

« Reply #3 on: 20:15:14, 05/08/18 »
Thanks for your reply & feedback Jimbob!
The pack is designed for more than just hiking, essentially a day bag you can use for hiking, commuting, downhill biking, cycling, running, city travel or even down at the beach - so the extras (solar panel and portable charger pack) can be removed on demand. Ref weight the charger itself weighs no more than 250 grams, so not too much imo, what do you think?

Its also worth mentioning the panel and pack could be attached to a larger bag if the plan was to go on a longer duration hike (during which the solar panel may come in handy more often as will the large capacity).

With regards to further reasoning for the high capacity charger, weather in the UK and winter in Europe (save this summer hah) is not always the best - so if you are in shortage of sun then it helps to have a large capacity charger so you can charge whatever the weather.
The "pack" itself is designed compartmentally so the solar panel is separate from the portable charger - and the bag so each can be brought on their own or together.

With regards to the bag's support system, it currently has shoulder strap clips and supportive back and a bevelled back made out of breathable material to prevent getting too sweaty - any specific things you would like / love to see on a bag for day-hiking with regards to sport?
Would you usually look for a waistband on day hikes as well?

I am totally going for utility (as no one wants a useless backpack right?) whilst making it not look like a complete monstrosity.

Thanks again for the reply!

alstras

« Reply #4 on: 20:18:00, 05/08/18 »
Thanks for your reply Murphy,
I guess I am not really qualified to judge the whole of the UK but most of the terrain I have covered has been more of the same. I guess the 3 peaks will give me a different perspective, but I do like to travel and any EU suggestions are very welcome!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:34:50, 05/08/18 »
Would you usually look for a waistband on day hikes as well?

Yes!

It really hacks me off that most packs under 20 litres assume a waistband isn't needed.  A waisband with some sort of accessible pocket is really useful no matter what the distance of the walk or amount of kelt you're carrying.  I currently clip a pouch (think something like a sporran) to my trousers belt for carrying my camera to improvise the lack of waistband on my day pack.  On my bigger pack I clip my "sporran" to the waistband of the pack.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:16:12, 06/08/18 »
Thanks for your reply Murphy,
I guess I am not really qualified to judge the whole of the UK but most of the terrain I have covered has been more of the same. I guess the 3 peaks will give me a different perspective, but I do like to travel and any EU suggestions are very welcome!

The Three Peaks will give you a distorted view of what the British hills have to offer; for one thing you will be on well used paths alongside hordes of other walkers.

If you want more challenging terrain, then try the Crib Goch ridge when you do the Three Peaks - that is just a taster - the main course of Torridon, Glencoe, Cuillin awaits!

If you want wilderness, just head up into the Scottish Highlands and devise a multi day route of your own through the far North West. No need to follow the crowds on a waymarked trail.

PS - welcome to the forum!  :)
« Last Edit: 12:11:59, 06/08/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:31:55, 06/08/18 »
On a side note, as a fun side project - Ive started creating a backpack which is intended as a day pack with a number of uses, of which one is hiking. It is mid-development, i.e I have a prototype in hand - yet will perfect this to reach a final pre-launch product.
It is equipped with a detachable & portable solar panel & charger capable of 12 full phone charges with a few extra features.

Good luck with your pack project.

I don't understand why you would need 12 full phone charges if you are developing a day pack. Or indeed a solar panel at all.

Important factors in selecting a day pack for me are:

Comfort - well padded and well fitting shoulder straps and waist belt. I would never buy without trying.
Capacity - 30 litres say for an all season day pack.
Durability - it's got to be able to take the knocks.
Drawstring type closure of the main compartment, covered by the usual flap with straps. - useful for stuffing a jacket under.
Small pocket on top and a map pocket on the back.
Ice axe loop and attachment point for crampon straps.
Mesh pockets on the side for water bottles.
Back ventilation - although I find that I'll sweat whatever!
Weight (low down on the list for me - might be more important on a backpacking pack).

You'll notice that solar panels are not on the list. Neither are hydration bladders etc.
« Last Edit: 12:12:29, 06/08/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

KimE

« Reply #8 on: 10:49:03, 18/08/18 »
"Would you usually look for a waistband on day hikes as well?"
Yes

Iam with the rest you dont need a big powerpack and solarpanel on a day hike. I`ll manage with just my mobile phone for about 6 days.

Rajboy

« Reply #9 on: 23:18:52, 18/08/18 »
Save your energy and buy one from Zpacks, MLD or Hyperlite.... O0 ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy