Author Topic: West Highland Way  (Read 4454 times)

MartinN

West Highland Way
« on: 12:49:26, 06/09/06 »
Firstly, Hi All

Thinking of doing the WHW next Jan/Feb or is this a stupid idea. No idea of what the weather could be like. Would be 2 of us, both fit and with decent gear. Looking for something testing. Ideally would wild camp. Alternatives would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

titaniumdude

Re: West Highland Way
« Reply #1 on: 01:40:44, 07/09/06 »
Hi Martin and welcome. :)

The West Highland Way is one I've got my eye on as well.  Was up in that neck of the woods for the first time recently and its absolutely gorgeous.  One hundred miles of great scenery and you get to celebrate in the Grog and Gruel at Fort William with a few pints of real ale and a decent hot meal.  As for doing it in jan/feb you've probably picked one of the best times so long as your kit is up to the potentially harsh weather.  Going at this time will seriously cut down the random traffic and provide an even better sense of 'being in the wild'.  Sorry I cant give any first hand advice on this trail, but I am interested in your proposed route plan and your slant on tackling it at this time of year.  Keep us posted.  You've probably seen this, but it looks like a useful starting point for info
                     http://www.west-highland-way.co.uk/mainFrame.htm

regards TD.
« Last Edit: 01:42:26, 07/09/06 by titaniumdude »
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

titaniumdude

« Reply #2 on: 18:22:42, 12/04/07 »
Resurecting an ancient thread here, but just got back from hiking the WHW.  It was Mrs TDs first LDP and her first experience of wild camping.  She loved it and actually faired very well.  We originally planned an itinerary lasting 6 days, but ended up expanding this to 9 days due to Mrs TD developing acute achiles tendonitis on about the third day.  The latest supplement in country walking mag has the WHW marked as challenging and this was rated by someone using bunkhouses and only carrying a day pack.  In the end I think the itinerary we walked could be achieved by any moderately fit backpacker and I was actually glad to extend the trip as I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I'll post some more details and a few picks in a bit.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:57:10, 12/04/07 »
Hi TD, hope Mrs TD is o.k great to see you enjoyed your walk ;D

Some pics on here if anyone wants to view ;)

walkingforlife.piczo.com

Cheers
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy