Author Topic: Semi-solo hiking - what is it?  (Read 1512 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Semi-solo hiking - what is it?
« on: 16:27:15, 11/01/21 »
I read this article and thought is this a serious bit of journalism, or what?

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021/jan/11/semi-solo-hiking-brings-me-the-gift-of-time-alone-and-the-joy-of-reuniting

Maybe I'm missing the point?

Warbler

Re: Semi-solo hiking - what is it?
« Reply #1 on: 16:46:56, 11/01/21 »
Nah, I don't think you're missing anything on this one GWM.

That's just two people going on a solo walk and meeting up at the end. The media feel a need to feed us with outdoorsy stuff because of the situation we are all in. It seems they are struggling for ideas now, so they come out with this type of stuff.

Semi-solo hiking!.......utter codswallop!

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:43:52, 12/01/21 »
I don't get it why people are always so afraid to do things on their own.

But, regarding to semi-solo hiking. On long distance trails like the PCT, couples often hike separate so each can hike at their own pace. Especially when there is a lot of climbing/ decending involved, because that can be very tiring if you cannot hike at your own pace. Then they meet at water sources, mountain pass or other points where they have agreed to meet. Of course when things get technical/ dangerous then they would stick together.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:28:29, 12/01/21 »
I totally agree Birdman, walking with others can be very tiring.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:44:46, 12/01/21 »
Perhaps an article aimed at those who begin every sentence with the word 'So...'?

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:06:33, 12/01/21 »
Perhaps an article aimed at those who begin every sentence with the word 'So...'?
So Semi So Low?
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:08:33, 12/01/21 »
I'd have guessed, before reading the comments, that semi-solo meant one person doing it but supported and true solo was unsupported. Like the difference between swimming the channel with a boat keeping pace with you able to give you drinks etc and swimming it with no-one else between the shores.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

MarkT

« Reply #7 on: 12:23:55, 13/01/21 »
Isn't this the same as when people say "Semi Retired"? whatever that means. Either you have retired from work and no longer work, which in my opinion is retired, or you still work, even if part time or just a few hours a week.....you are still working so haven't retired.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:26:55, 13/01/21 »
Isn't this the same as when people say "Semi Retired"? whatever that means. Either you have retired from work and no longer work, which in my opinion is retired, or you still work, even if part time or just a few hours a week.....you are still working so haven't retired.
;D ;D When I was working full time I knew quite a few "semi retired" folks. Their bodies were at work but their minds and focus most definitely weren't.

Too little, too late, too bad......

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:09:50, 13/01/21 »
Do they mean they've retired from their main job, are drawing the pension from it, and are now doing casual work?

GrumpyPhart

« Reply #10 on: 20:50:38, 13/01/21 »

Semi-solo hiking!.......utter codswallop!

.... words out of my mouth. I think some of these people get some weird notion of doing something "unusual" and wasting god knows how much time and effort wondering what they can call it.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:20:59, 14/01/21 »
Well, if people are too scared to do something on their own and this helps them to overcome that fear, there is nothing wrong with it.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:58:37, 14/01/21 »
Well, if people are too scared to do something on their own and this helps them to overcome that fear, there is nothing wrong with it.
. Exactly!
 The use of words to convey ideas or situations us as old as language itself.

What name is used to define those who agree to meet their mate in the pub later for a drink? None possibly. But language being language I bet there is either a word already in existence or if needed then someone will invent it. It's called communication. Savvy?
Too little, too late, too bad......

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:00:12, 14/01/21 »
Actually reading the article it seems a sensible idea.  I think some of us (myself included) don't quite understand how others less immersed in our hobby feel out of their depth and unsafe when they are in the outdoors - particularly alone.

It is also often swept under the carpet that female walkers have a different experience when hiking solo than male hikers, and even if we all say 'hikers aren't like that' (which is probably true) - talk to some female hikers and you'll find most either go out as a pair with someone else or they plan their routes/camping carefully to have the greatest chance of solitude.

Now we can debate until we are blue in the face as to how much of a 'true risk' this is versus perception, but if semi-solo hiking allows for people to get things done they would otherwise be worried/limited from doing then this seems overall a good thing. 

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:14:56, 14/01/21 »
Looks like a bit of column inch packing. Shame really if a professional writer had thought harder about her choice of words for her type of walking, such terms as 'Parallax Walking' might have cropped up, perhaps just as technically inaccurate but with more creative possibilities. Carried out with less stereotype destinations, with more terrain variation, chain walking and the creation of chain routes might allow a publication that is critical of the countryside we are allowed to walk in to get more involved with their core interest.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy