Author Topic: TR - Spring is springing  (Read 1336 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR - Spring is springing
« on: 18:04:44, 23/02/21 »
Having not done any significant walks this year, though lots of short ones, I actually dragged my self out properly today.

Despite appearances I wasn't at Ribbleshead

Fun fungus

One section of the woods was full of snowdrops, I assume that they had escaped from the nearby cottages.

It was a lovely warm day with a cooling breeze and it was great to get out and properly stretch my legs. It made a change from my only walking being to the sofa to log on to the forum. It was VERY muddy, not helped by there being a lot of 'Countryside Management' going on. There were ponds being dug and trees being planted. Obviously more trees is a good thing but it felt like someone had got a grant. All of these things seem to require diggers to wreck the path and destroy hedgerows.

This is part of a National Trail which would have been brought in to existence by an act of Parliament.

While I was out walking Mrs R was having her vaccine injection but we managed to rendezvous at a cafe near home to treat ourselves to take away coffee and cake.

Skip

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Spring is springing
« Reply #1 on: 18:34:56, 23/02/21 »
Very nice  :)
Where's the viaduct?
Skip

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:45:58, 23/02/21 »

ThanksThe viaduct carries the east coast line and is just to the north of the M25.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:15:33, 23/02/21 »
I think snowdrops are native to UK though there are lots of cultivars; snowdrops are very promiscuous
Got to love a snowdrop :smitten:
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:48:29, 23/02/21 »
I think snowdrops are native to UK though there are lots of cultivars; snowdrops are very promiscuous
Got to love a snowdrop :smitten:

Sorry to disappoint you Jac, but the experts believe snowdrops to be introduced. They are always found near habitation. 

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:03:23, 23/02/21 »
ThanksThe viaduct carries the east coast line and is just to the north of the M25.

TL 3060 0170, called Soper's Viaduct  8)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:47:48, 23/02/21 »
Nice pics Ridge  O0

Pleased Mrs R is getting her vaccine  O0

This is slightly bizarre but if I used just three words about my last walk (and the one I've done repeatedly for weeks) it would be mud, snowdrops and viaduct. Another word is ducks but you've not got any ducks in your TR so I won't mention it  ;)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:28:26, 23/02/21 »
I didn't notice any ducks but there was a very lazy heron just about managing to stay airborne.

ayjay

« Reply #8 on: 22:33:34, 23/02/21 »
The fun fungus is *Turkey Tail* fungus.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:49:44, 23/02/21 »
Thanks for the info, it was very photogenic.
I did think that I needed the fungus equivalent of Fernman to tell me what it was.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:53:00, 24/02/21 »
Nice pics Ridge - and good to be out and about.  I did something similar on Sunday and it lifted my spirits immeasurably.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:06:07, 24/02/21 »

Sorry to disappoint you Jac, but the experts believe snowdrops to be introduced. They are always found near habitation.
Every day's a school day ;)

I've noticed small clumps along the banks of the R Teign in Dunsford woods. Presumably the bulbs get washed down when the river floods. It would be nice if they get established. This year I've missed my annual visit to Snowdrop Valley on Exmoor  :(
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:21:22, 24/02/21 »
Every day's a school day ;)

I didn't know snowdrops were "introduced" either. The snowdrops I referred to near me, at Wetheral, are all in the woods, well away from houses and look totally natural as if they have always been there. And so many of them too  :)
Hate will never win

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:35:00, 24/02/21 »
Glad you’ve managed to get out for a bit of a longer walk Ridge. Your mud looks a bit like ours, hopefully it will start drying up now.
Mr RR has had his jab, I’m still waiting, although we’re in the same category. He got a text last Thursday at 4.30 to say they had vacancies that day, he made the appt and was all done and back home just over a hour later! Guessing they had vaccine left they needed to get rid of. Needless to say, my phone is not leaving my side and I keep checking it!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:00:36, 26/02/21 »
Well you sneaked this one in under my radar didn't you?!  Just spotted it.

Nice piccies - love the turkey tail fungi.

Hopefully after they've finished churning everything up during the maintenance the area will be much improved for it... in a season or two's time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy