Author Topic: How much of my gear is based on plastic?  (Read 3960 times)

Ronin83

Re: How much of my gear is based on plastic?
« Reply #45 on: 16:13:45, 04/08/20 »
Here's the article and a snippet from it...

I want to propose a new word “Synthetic Stress”. It is related to heat stress, but it is the specific way the body struggles for homeostasis when it is in the confines of synthetic fabric. One measureable result is a huge rise in heart rate, as shown on this chart.

https://www.woolsleepingbag.com/natural-fiber-outdoor-clothing-system/

andybr

« Reply #46 on: 17:12:29, 04/08/20 »
I am a great fan of "Bamboo" fabrics for socks, baselayers etc. but nobody should be under the illusion that this material is anything other than a synthetic fibre. Many may remember when Rayon was a popular material and Bamboo viscose is exactly the same thing. It is promoted by some manufacturers as environmentally friendly but there are some serious issues associated with both the manufacturing process and the agricultural practices involved in it's production.

Ronin83

« Reply #47 on: 17:31:20, 04/08/20 »
I am a great fan of "Bamboo" fabrics for socks, baselayers etc. but nobody should be under the illusion that this material is anything other than a synthetic fibre. Many may remember when Rayon was a popular material and Bamboo viscose is exactly the same thing. It is promoted by some manufacturers as environmentally friendly but there are some serious issues associated with both the manufacturing process and the agricultural practices involved in it's production.

I understand this can be the case. Firstly, yes it's viscose, but it's viscose from bamboo. Bamboo grows incredibly quick. Overall though, I don't think we can ever escape some sort of waste and damage as humans.
I'm more concerned about the comfort, function and durability though. The sustainability is good if its better, even if its never perfect.

This Brand seem to be making quite an effort. They do mix with other materials though...
https://bambooclothing.co.uk/from-jungle-to-jumper/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 17:58:28, 04/08/20 »
Here's the article and a snippet from it...

I want to propose a new word “Synthetic Stress”. It is related to heat stress, but it is the specific way the body struggles for homeostasis when it is in the confines of synthetic fabric. One measureable result is a huge rise in heart rate, as shown on this chart.

https://www.woolsleepingbag.com/natural-fiber-outdoor-clothing-system/
The science element of the article counts as Class A fruit loopery!
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 19:23:22, 04/08/20 »
I learned a lot from that article. Wearing synthetic layers has made me a more positive person  :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 20:22:10, 04/08/20 »
I learned a lot from that article. Wearing synthetic layers has made me a more positive person  :D
Provided you are not down to earth!  :D
Solvitur Ambulando

GoneWest

« Reply #51 on: 20:39:20, 04/08/20 »
Provided you are not down to earth!  :D

Or remaining static for too long.
« Last Edit: 06:50:46, 05/08/20 by GoneWest »

Ronin83

« Reply #52 on: 11:03:05, 05/08/20 »

Maybe, but you'd be surprised.
Like I said, a large body of water wimply being near you has a physically positive affect, measurable by science.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 12:23:42, 05/08/20 »

Maybe, but you'd be surprised.
Like I said, a large body of water wimply being near you has a physically positive affect, measurable by science.
Do you mean physically positive or psychologically positive?  I enjoy being near water but I am not conscious of a physical effect - curious to know what it is and in which reputable journal(s) it has been reported?
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 12:40:04, 05/08/20 »
Do you mean physically positive or psychologically positive?  I enjoy being near water but I am not conscious of a physical effect - curious to know what it is and in which reputable journal(s) it has been reported?
In the absence of any evidence of a direct physical effect, I suspect there may well be a psychological benefit to being in the great outdoors (including being next to water). This may lead to physical benefits, such as a reduction in stress. However, this is very far away from the clam that synthetic substances rob our bodies of electrons and thereby cause us harm.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 00:32:00, 08/08/20 »
Is having gear made out of plastic, really that bad? Just because something isn't made of plastic, doesn't automatically mean it is better for the environment as a whole.

My everyday rucksack is over 20 years old and is made in part of plastic derived material. If I get rid of it to "go green" to the environment. Whilst I could come on here or anywhere else and spout my "green" credentials I would still have likely confined my old one to landfill. (even if I gave it to a charity shop it is in all honesty unlikely to sell)

Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 08:45:50, 08/08/20 »
And of course, some will object (rightly I think) to the use of animal-derived products such as wool and leather for ethical reasons.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Ronin83

« Reply #57 on: 12:41:30, 12/08/20 »
Just a heads up to those who are using or looking to use bamboo clothing. Same goes for wool. Be very careful around Velcro. I just pulled my brand new bamboo socks out of the washing machine and they were stuck to the Velcro on my board shorts. Removing them damaged them. I've had this before with wool. F@£&#*g Velcro!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 20:04:04, 12/08/20 »
I dislike velcro and what you have described has happened to me as well.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 08:43:45, 13/08/20 »

What science element? All I see is American sales speak.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy