Author Topic: TR Derwent Shore, Great Wood and Castlerigg from Keswick Sun 13 Sep 20  (Read 2726 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We had been going to go up Meal Fell and Great Cockup but the wind was so strong as we drove by Caldbeck we sacked that and drove to Keswick. From Briar Bank we let Squeaky have a run about in Fitz Park then we headed to the shore path. We thought we would walk around it depending on what the wind was like. It was much less strong in Keswick and it hardly bothered us as we walked along the shore.

Obligatory shot of Catbells and Casuey Pike from Keswick Boat Landings

What was tiresome were the amount of people here all doing what we were doing, a walk to escape the wind. When we reached the road at Ashness we left the shore path to find a less populated walk to do.

Ascending from the Watendlath/Ashness Bridge Road

We would walk below Falcon Crag and Walla Crag into Great Wood and see if we could find somewhere nice to sit for lunch.

Maiden Moor, Catbells and Causey Pike from Great Wood

There were far fewer people up here. It had been like walking in a city centre next to the shore  :D We stopped for some lunch in a clearing in Great Wood with a view of Bass Lake. It was lovely listening to the birds singing as we ate. During lunch I planned where we would go next, up to Rakefoot and up to Castlerigg Stone Circle.

Blencathra from Castlerigg Farm

High Rigg and Clough Head

No pictures of the Stone Circle, of course there were quite a few people about there  :D We walked toward Keswick down the quiet lane called Eleventrees then joined the small bit of the Keswick Railway Path that has recently reopened off the Penrith Road.

Looking back on the Railway Path

The tarmac felt very hard under foot and it jarred my joints walking on it. We wondered why on earth so many of the trees had been cleared away, lots of tree stumps left. We couldn't see any reason for removing them at all. What a shame, there had been hundreds of birds along here living in those trees  :( Not a huge fan of the tarmac I have to say. It will be good to see this path open in full with the new bridges but we would rather not have tarmac.

Route map

Our route was Briar Bank - Fitz Park - Keswick Shore Path - Ashness - Great Wood - Rakefoot - Castlerigg Farm - Stone Circle - Eleventrees - Keswick Railway Path - Briar Bank. 8.3 miles with 299m ascent.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics Ape  O0
Fancy a wc this weekend  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
Fancy a wc this weekend  ;D

Aye, let's go Scotland again  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics.
No obligatory 'Blencathra and stone circle' shot it must have been busy.

April

• Veteran Member
No obligatory 'Blencathra and stone circle' shot it must have been busy.

The stones were barely visible there were so many people about. The shot would have been captioned

"Blencathra beyond a lot of people"
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Nice pictures, April

We did a walk to escape from the wind too, in our case Far Sawrey to Claife Heights and back along the shore of Windermere. Met a few people up in the woods, but there were hordes on the track that runs parallel to the shore, especially near the ferry - mobbed.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
We did a walk to escape from the wind too, in our case Far Sawrey to Claife Heights and back along the shore of Windermere. Met a few people up in the woods, but there were hordes on the track that runs parallel to the shore, especially near the ferry - mobbed.

It has been a lot busier this year, I'm sure.
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics April O0
A repaired path is better than no path but why tarnac ? >:(

I really got the weather wrong on Sunday got soaked over in Longsleddale :(

April

• Veteran Member
I really got the weather wrong on Sunday got soaked over in Longsleddale :(

It was dry further north, if my tired brain is remembering correctly. Was it the forecast that was wrong or have you started forecasting the weather yourself?  :D
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member

The stones were barely visible there were so many people about. The shot would have been captioned

"Blencathra beyond a lot of people"
You should have unleashed the pig on them  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
You should have unleashed the pig on them  ;D

He was asleep. He'd overeaten  ;D
Hate will never win

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
Excellent photos April.
Was that section of Tarmac part of the upgrade for cyclists?

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member

<The tarmac felt very hard under foot and it jarred my joints walking on it. We wondered why on earth so many of the trees had been cleared away, lots of tree stumps left. We couldn't see any reason for removing them at all. What a shame, there had been hundreds of birds along here living in those trees     Not a huge fan of the tarmac I have to say. It will be good to see this path open in full with the new bridges but we would rather not have tarmac>  

I agree 100% April. The previous surface was relatively smooth, porous to allow rainwater drainage, and fine for bikes, buggies etc. I have no idea why the surface had to be changed.

Such a shame about the trees - but I try to console myself with the thought that they will grow back in coppiced form. 

April

• Veteran Member
Was that section of Tarmac part of the upgrade for cyclists?

They have replaced the whole of the path with tarmac I believe. Cyclists already used the route before so I'm not sure why they had to use tarmac. I have quoted Sarah below, she is spot on.

The previous surface was relatively smooth, porous to allow rainwater drainage, and fine for bikes, buggies etc. I have no idea why the surface had to be changed.

Such a shame about the trees - but I try to console myself with the thought that they will grow back in coppiced form. 

The tree stumps left are 2 or 3 inches high maybe? I hope there is still life left in them  :(
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
Nice photos April, good walk for a cloudy day O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy