Author Topic: Best place to stay?  (Read 9716 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Best place to stay?
« on: 02:16:41, 16/04/06 »
Thinking of spending a few days in Snowdonia. What is the best town/village to stay as a centre for a family walking holiday. Preferably with some alternative activities for when it rains or the kids get bored of walking.

Are the any easy high level routes?

Robbo

Re: Best place to stay?
« Reply #1 on: 17:54:06, 27/06/06 »
 :D

I would stay in Capel Curig if I was you. Its a few miles from Ogwen and about 15min to Snowden. For other activities you could go for Llanberis (scenic railway, museum and a bit of shopping), there are lots of places to stay and also plenty of pubs/cafes to eat and drink in.

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 02:40:03, 03/07/06 »
Thanks Robbo.

Do you know of any routes around there that would give kids a taste of mountain scenery without too much difficulty?

climbnine

« Reply #3 on: 22:54:01, 07/07/06 »
Chris,
A very easy introduction would be to walk up to Llyn Idwal from Ogwen Cottage. You can spend a while watching the climbers on the Idwal Slabs and then go up to the Devil's Kitchen. You could then head for the Glyders or go up to Y Garn. All depends on how enthusiastic your kids are!

Nick
http://www.climbnine.com [nofollow]

Crag Rat

« Reply #4 on: 13:18:04, 01/08/06 »
Thinking of spending a few days in Snowdonia. What is the best town/village to stay as a centre for a family walking holiday. Preferably with some alternative activities for when it rains or the kids get bored of walking.

Are the any easy high level routes?

Chris,

Last time we went to Snowdonia we stayed in Beddgelert.  It's a tiny village - very pretty and only about 5-10 minutes from Snowdon.  However, this is not a great base for the evening time - there are only a couple of pubs and limited shopping facilities.
On the drive back home we passed through Betws-y-Coed, this looked like a much better place to stay (and there's loads of gear shops  :)).  Robbo's suggestion of Capel Curig is also a good one.
....because it's there....

marmot

« Reply #5 on: 06:21:17, 02/08/06 »
I've stayed in Bangor on my three visits, I was there a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the Eryl Mor Hotel, which was pretty good for the money.
I think it's about 8 miles from say Tryfan.

http://www.lakelandphotographs.co.uk/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy