Author Topic: Crib Goch yesterday  (Read 13148 times)

marmot

Crib Goch yesterday
« on: 10:02:12, 23/10/07 »
A great day on Crib Goch yesterday, very windy though - not really what you want on that ridge!
Larger image here:  http://www.lakelandphotographs.co.uk/crib_goch.htm

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Re: Crib Goch yesterday
« Reply #1 on: 10:40:00, 23/10/07 »
Yeah Crib Goch pretty cool did this earlier this year.  what day did you do on as I was in Wales over the weekend and the weather was  fantastic. Good picture btw.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

irongrip

« Reply #2 on: 17:31:25, 23/10/07 »
I'd love to be able to do this, but I have got to get rid of my vertigo first!

Maybe next year.

David
Everything you need to know about hand strength
http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/ [nofollow]

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:43:23, 23/10/07 »
Your well on your way to over coming your Vertigo judgeing from the mountains youve just walked/climbed up anyway.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

irongrip

« Reply #4 on: 18:08:22, 23/10/07 »
Well that would be nice.

marmot

« Reply #5 on: 09:25:20, 24/10/07 »
I did it on Monday, the weather was fairly good - a bit grey and very windy, still a great day though.
You do need a bit of a head for heights, especially if it's windy or wet, but it isn't technically difficult.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:55:39, 24/10/07 »

Maybe next year.

David
I  stuffer really badly from vertigo and I did the Crib earlier this year, best not to have it  when I was sat at the top looking down at the view of the lake a guy said"people have been killed up here"  I could of easily of pushed him off as I felt my vertigo coming back and quite fast.  I rethought what he said and thought balls to you mate>vertigo< and some how over come it I was quite amazed that I over come it.  still cool   

peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:02:30, 24/10/07 »
 :) Looks like you had lovely weather,and great pics too.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

irongrip

« Reply #8 on: 14:40:01, 24/10/07 »
Yes great pics.

David

peter60

« Reply #9 on: 13:17:53, 25/10/07 »

Do you really suffer from vertigo, Irongrip? Or do you just have a natural fear of falling?

I don't think there is such a thing as a fear of heights, only a fear of falling! Vertigo is a medical condition in the inner ear which causes sensations of dizziness and possibly nausea resulting in a false sensation of movement.

Frankly, any sensible person is afraid of falling (or would say, "afraid of heights"). Anyone who denies that they are afraid of heights is either an adrenalin junkie or self-deluded. The adrenalin junkie's brain is "wired" differently and evaluates risk in a different way to most "normal" people.

I have done Crib Goch twice and was absolutely terrified the first time! For any normal person it's a case of evaluating the risk. If the ridge were two feet above the deck, anybody would scramble over it without a second thought of ever falling. Take into consideration the weather (whether the rock is slippery and wet or not), wind and visibility and you can take an informed decision as to whether or not it's "safe".

The best advice I could give to anyone doing Crib Goch is: "keep going, don't look down". (Like Shrek to the donkey when crossing the rope bridge over a boiling lake of lava!) It worked for me!

irongrip

« Reply #10 on: 14:21:23, 25/10/07 »
Peter,
My vertigo/fear of falling off is something that has come about in maybe the last 15 years. Prior to that and as a kid I would climb high trees, and basically seem to have no fear.

But I certainly have gained some kind of fear/phobia, and have struggled to go up ladders. Wether I have made this worse for myself I'm not sure, but I certainly feel that the climbing may be helping as I don't get the sick feeling from just thinking of climbing a ladder.

Many thanks for your advice,
David

peter60

« Reply #11 on: 14:34:41, 25/10/07 »
Climbing grade 1 scrambles can certainly help to build confidence if you have a phobia for heights. I think one of the easiest (with very limited exposure) is Moel Siabod. Try this route: http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walks/walk_b/1151/. It involves an extended rock climb on a ridge, but wide enough to prevent any feelings of sheer terror!

If your "vertigo" is a phobia and not a medical condition of the inner ear, then the best way to deal with it is to face up to it!

irongrip

« Reply #12 on: 16:46:51, 25/10/07 »
Peter,
Great idea. My wife had actually mentioned Moel Siabod as a future climb.

David

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:43:54, 25/10/07 »
Hi there Irongrip  and Peter60

When I did snowdon for the first time I was fully enjoying a stroll.  As soon as I was exposed I mean no fence wall etc I suddenly found my self spinning round believe me the mountain had moved about 90 degrees in the other direction I felt dizzy,my ears started to ring and lost all sensation of were I was  and really wanted to vomit (sorry to much information there I know).  But it true.  I personnel think that if there would have been a wall fence or something there I would of been fine although.  the ridge was thinner than Crib Goch only for a short section I had to stop for nearly an hour as I couldn't move.  I never had this before I got it for a couple of times later one mean thing is not to eat to much cheese as this can help with the problem.  Or the other solution is to gear up to things like CG and do other ridges first.  Which I did I was so proud of my self when I reached the top of snowdon again as I never seen it before, one word of advice is Crib Goch is always going to be there your not one false move up there try other thing and build up to it.

Irongrip

As a kid I would climb high trees, and basically seem to have no fear.  True  With all kids they stand no fear and would do mostly anything unless they know how dangerous it is children minds work in a strange way than that to adults.....If that make any sense they see things differently

clean it bin it

irongrip

« Reply #14 on: 22:05:33, 25/10/07 »
I shall definitely build up to it.

Thanks all,
David

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy