Author Topic: Helvellyn without Striding Edge  (Read 8932 times)

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: Helvellyn without Striding Edge
« Reply #15 on: 07:37:14, 22/09/17 »
Sticks Pass is a couple of miles due north of Helvellyn - between Raise and Stybarrow Dodd.

Oldtramp

« Reply #16 on: 08:36:46, 22/09/17 »
Exactly.

From Glenridding you go up to the old lead mine (1.5 miles up a back road), where the route splits.  Then either (1) go right and up to Sticks Pass reaching the ridge, as Percy says, between Raise and Stybarrow Dodd about 2 miles N of Helvellyn or (2) go left following the Glenridding Beck up.  After a short mile, at c 1700' you'll find a rising path off to the right. This leads up the Keppel Cover zig zags --- to reach the ridge between Raise and White Side, saving the trouble of going over Raise and putting you  within a mile of Helvellyn's summit. It's a long while since I went up that way, but it's perfectly easy, including for your four-legged friend, being an old pony route from the Victorian era.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:43:54, 26/09/17 »
I've been looking on the map for sticks pass but can't seem to find it.

The pass runs more or less east-west between Raise and Stybarrow Dodd.

The summit is at NY 340 181 and is named on both 1:50K and 1:25K OS maps.

EDIT: Apologies, I didn't spot the replies from Oldtramp and Percy before I hit send  :-[
« Last Edit: 08:56:06, 26/09/17 by Skip »
Skip

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #18 on: 06:59:48, 27/09/17 »
Thanks Skip & thanks again to everyone else who has helped  :)

JimD

« Reply #19 on: 13:32:48, 28/09/17 »
Does anyone have any experience of the two ridge routes that (allegedly!) go up the Grisedale-facing sides of Dollwaggon Pike and Nethermost Pike?  They would obviously add to the combinations, though perhaps not be suitable in this context.  Wainwright mentions them.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:47:30, 28/09/17 »
Does anyone have any experience of the two ridge routes that (allegedly!) go up the Grisedale-facing sides of Dollwaggon Pike and Nethermost Pike?  They would obviously add to the combinations, though perhaps not be suitable in this context.  Wainwright mentions them.
On the forum meet last April we went down the Tongue from Dollywaggon Pike. Quite steep and mainly grassy so a bit slippery in places but ok. Hands required on the odd bit. Can't see any real problems either ascending or descending.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:54:13, 28/09/17 »
I agree with Percy.

Steve18566

« Reply #22 on: 14:30:16, 28/09/17 »
See Trail magazine October issue for an Dollywaggon Pike ridge description

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy