Author Topic: Helvellyn without Striding Edge  (Read 8934 times)

Norfolk-Matt

Helvellyn without Striding Edge
« on: 20:14:09, 19/09/17 »
Evening all. From my research it seems like going up Helvellyn via striding edge is the most popular route.

We take our dog out on hill walks but wouldn't take him along the edge for obvious reasons, so we're looking for an alternative, dog friendly route to the top?

Any idvice would be great, thanks.

snoopdawg

Re: Helvellyn without Striding Edge
« Reply #1 on: 21:22:15, 19/09/17 »
From Thirlmere straight up to Lower Man and onto Helvellyn.

From Glenridding take the road up to the YH, either go up the Zig zag path or Sticks pass and follow the paths up onto Lower man and Helvellyn.

From Glenridding take the path over to Lantys tarn, walk up the valley up to Grisedale tarn and ascend onto the Helvellyn ridge.

All walking routes.

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #2 on: 21:44:16, 19/09/17 »
From Thirlmere straight up to Lower Man and onto Helvellyn.

From Glenridding take the road up to the YH, either go up the Zig zag path or Sticks pass and follow the paths up onto Lower man and Helvellyn.

From Glenridding take the path over to Lantys tarn, walk up the valley up to Grisedale tarn and ascend onto the Helvellyn ridge.

All walking routes.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into those routes and decide which seems best.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #4 on: 06:59:12, 20/09/17 »

Theo Frum

« Reply #5 on: 14:25:39, 20/09/17 »
Do the whole ridge, Dollywaggon Pike to Clough Head. Park at Stanah, then the bus will drop you off at the summit of Dunmail Raise, and the old coach road north of Clough Head will take you back down into St John's in the Vale

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:47:30, 21/09/17 »
 The easiest route is from Wythburn Church.

In 1983 I took my parents to the top from the church. My mum had asthma and my father had arthritis in his knees plus angina. He had a triple by pass the following year. It took the same amount of time to go up as come down as my mum struggled with the uphill due to asthma and my dad had problems with the descent due to painful knees. But we got there.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #7 on: 19:08:54, 21/09/17 »
Thank you both for the reply. We don't mind a hard walk/challenge, even the dog is fine on big hill/mountain walks, but Striding Edge and Swirral Edge doesn't look suitable for us.

We're not back in the lakes until May next year but always looking and planning new walks :)

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #8 on: 19:14:00, 21/09/17 »
The easiest route is from Wythburn Church.

In 1983 I took my parents to the top from the church. My mum had asthma and my father had arthritis in his knees plus angina. He had a triple by pass the following year. It took the same amount of time to go up as come down as my mum struggled with the uphill due to asthma and my dad had problems with the descent due to painful knees. But we got there.

Just looked at Wythburn Church route. I'm guessing you went straight up and down the same path if your mum and dad were struggling a bit. I noticed it could be made in to a circular route but not sure which way would be the nicest?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:40:13, 21/09/17 »

... I noticed it could be made in to a circular route but not sure which way would be the nicest?

You might find some of the replies in THIS topic useful  :)

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #10 on: 20:04:03, 21/09/17 »

You might find some of the replies in THIS [nofollow] topic useful  :)

Excellent, thanks. We're like you and would prefer to go the harder way up and an easy walk down. Did you go in the end?

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #11 on: 20:13:34, 21/09/17 »

You might find some of the replies in THIS [nofollow] topic useful  :)

Now not sure whether to do the Swirls round to Wyburn, a circular walk from Stanah Lane mentioned in your post, or the 18.5km route that someone linked above. I might have to map the other two out and see how long they are, then try and decide how we're feeling at the time :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:39:24, 21/09/17 »
I reckon you and your dog could enjoy a good few days scampering all over the Helvellyn massif from all sorts of different angles with all the routes suggested, particularly if you don't have a problem with distances.  

Sadly, I've not yet had chance to get up there myself but I've got that topic I created earmarked for future reference (hence why I could link to it so quickly  ;D  )

Oldtramp

« Reply #13 on: 23:59:40, 21/09/17 »
Agree with what many others have said that there are a lot of easy approaches to Helvellyn from the west, involving no scrambling.  And by combining different up and down routes, you can get an excellent linear ridge walk, returning to your start point by bus.

But it's also possible to go up from the the east side without scrambling, starting from Glenridding, which is a lot nicer to start from than Wythburn or Thirlspot.  For example go up via Sticks Pass, or (a shorter route) via the Keppel Cove zig-zags, then south along the main ridge, over Helvellyn and down to Grisedale Tarn, with a broad easy path back to Glenridding.  Feeling energetic you could take in Sheffield Pike and Gleridding Dodd on the way up.  Or, having reached Grisedale Tarn, could walk up to the gap between St Sunday Crag and Fairfield, then over St Sunday and down to Glenridding.

Norfolk-Matt

« Reply #14 on: 06:27:20, 22/09/17 »
Agree with what many others have said that there are a lot of easy approaches to Helvellyn from the west, involving no scrambling.  And by combining different up and down routes, you can get an excellent linear ridge walk, returning to your start point by bus.

But it's also possible to go up from the the east side without scrambling, starting from Glenridding, which is a lot nicer to start from than Wythburn or Thirlspot.  For example go up via Sticks Pass, or (a shorter route) via the Keppel Cove zig-zags, then south along the main ridge, over Helvellyn and down to Grisedale Tarn, with a broad easy path back to Glenridding.  Feeling energetic you could take in Sheffield Pike and Gleridding Dodd on the way up.  Or, having reached Grisedale Tarn, could walk up to the gap between St Sunday Crag and Fairfield, then over St Sunday and down to Glenridding.

Thank you for your reply.

I've been looking on the map for sticks pass but can't seem to find it.

Is that the route that Ninface shared above? Thanks.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy