Author Topic: TR 2 dayer in the Northern Fells Sat 22 to Sun 23 Sep 18  (Read 2794 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Day 1

We started from Uldale on Saturday, we planned to do Longlands Fell, Brae Fell, Great Sca Fell and then we wanted to pitch below Little Calva. The forecast wasn't bad but it was overcast to begin with.

The view from the start of the footpath near Stanthwaite

On the footpath to Longlands from Uldale

We had been along here before but I couldn't remember the footpath at all. We had walked about a km along the footpath and were approaching a stile. We heard a huge roar to our left and I saw some cows rushing toward us. They were coming at us very fast and one of the cows was still roaring away and it was a very alarming sound. We didn't wait to see if making ourselves big would stop them and we quickly got over the stile with a second to spare before the cows reached us. They had come down a hill and the ground was soft and boggy and they skidded before stopping. We reckoned they would have hit us if we hadn't moved because they had found it difficult to come to a stop. We think they were bullocks, and one of them continued to roar at us over the fence.

The cattle with the fence between us

These cattle/bullocks were very aggressive and threatening. They were not just being curious, or hoping we had food for them, they were dangerous and we were lucky not to have been hurt. In 40+ years of walking scary encounters with cattle like this have been rare, there's been 6 or 7 bad experiences and this is up there as one of the most frightening ones. I've been looking on the internet at how many cow attacks have been fatal and the number of serious injuries there have been. These are well documented, I wonder how many incidents like the one we had go unreported?  I have an email address for Cumbria Highways, I will send an email to them, I think that is who I should report it to  :-\

Back to the walk, slightly shaken we got to the road at Longlands and we spotted a young deer in one of the gardens. The photo I took was too blurred to post on here.

A look back to Overwater from the path to Longlands Fell

It started raining here so it was on with full waterproofs. We were pleased of the extra layer because it was quite cold.

Longlands Fell ahead

Beefy on Longlands Fell summit

It was windy up at height and even colder. Although it had stopped raining we kept our waterproofs on.

Little Sca Fell, Great Sca Fell and Knott from Lowthwaite Fell

Our lunch stop view at Charleton Gill

Beefy on Brae Fell summit

Beefy on Little Sca Fell

Great Sca Fell with High Pike and Carrock Fell behind

Blencathra and Great Calva from near Frozen Fell

We took a pathless route between Frozen Fell and Knott (we didn't go on either summit) before joining the path leading from Knott that goes toward Little Calva. We followed a few trods here and there on our way to White Hause where we hoped to pitch.

We picked up some water from Whitehause Gill en route. We'd had to descend a bit to get the water which was a surprise after all the rain we have had. We found a pitch, got the water on to filter while we pitched the tent.

The MSR near White Hause

The MSR with Dead Crags and Bakestall behind

The wind was still a bit brisk so we'd pitched away from the summit which was exposed. We got our stuff set up and at outside for a while.

A cloud show from White Hause

Blue sky started to appear and the wind died down a little. We had a brew and we had our tea inside the tent, it was too cold to sit outside for long.

Bright sunshine from inside the tent

We had hopes of a sunset view although it was a bit cloudy. We had some wine and put some layers on.

Skiddaw and Bakestall from White Hause

Beefy on White Hause as the sun starts to set

We went up onto the summit for the sunset, we couldn't see it from the tent.

The sun disappears into cloud

We thought that might be it but we got a lovely colour show that lasted for over half an hour after the sun set.

Sale Fell, Bass Lake, Brock Crags and Binsey

The red colour increased

The last sunset shot

What a great sunset. We got back in the tent and into our bags to warm up and finished our wine. We'd had a great day except for the fright from the bullocks. Day 1 was Uldale - Longlands - Longlands Fell - Lowthwaite - Brae Fell - Little and Great Sca Fells - Frozen Fell - Little Nettle Hause - White Hause 13.2km with 766m ascent, 490m descent. We still had our waterproof trousers on, we kept them on in our bags the skies had cleared and we were in for a cold night.

Day 2

It had got cold overnight and there was bit of a frost. We had some breakfast and a brew and planned on going over Lonscale Fell and back to Keswick it was looking like another grand day.

Early morning mist over Bass Lake

We'd packed our gear away and were away by 8.30.

On the way up to Little Calva

The mist disappearing from Bass Lake

Unfortunately as the mist disappeared from the valleys it appeared on the fell tops

Beefy in the mist on Little Calva

Going over Great Calva and Lonscale Fell was sacked, they were in the clag, we would descend to the Skiddaw House supply road and Peter House Farm instead

The path follows the fence down to the road

The fence takes a left turn down to the road and is steep for a while. Not good for aging knees.

Binsey from the Skiddaw House supply road

The weather got better but the higher tops were still covered by cloud

We stopped for some food and a brew with a view of the falls.

Burn Tod, White Hause and Little Calva

Brockle Crags, Burn Tod and White Hause

Binsey from the route to Peter House Farm

We walked to Bass Village and sat for a while next to the beck behind the pub as we had 50 minutes to wait for our bus. Day 2 was White Hause - Little Calva - Whitewater Dash - Peter House Farm - Melbecks- Burthwaite - Bass Village - A591 bus stop. 11.2km with 221m ascent and 599m descent. We still had our waterproof trousers on from the day before when we got on the bus, it hadn't really got that warm but it had a grand couple of days.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 2 dayer in the Northern Fells Sat 22 to Sun 23 Sep 18
« Reply #1 on: 22:59:07, 25/09/18 »
Excellent pics and write up Ape O0
Especially like the sunset shots 8)

Was a great weekend

This weekend animals, bracken, wind, and rain are on the banned list  ;D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:01:18, 25/09/18 »
Too many lovely photos to pick a favorite. Great area, did you see many people?

Sorry to hear about your experience with the cows, sounds quite scary.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:06:35, 25/09/18 »
Great pics as usual A O0
Bullocks are scary when they stampede like that you did well to get out of the way :o
It was cold on the tops over the weekend I think we can officially declare Autumn open ;)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:11:37, 25/09/18 »
Great area, did you see many people?

Not many, about 5 in total on Saturday, double that on Sunday we hit the rush hour on the Skiddaw House supply road  ;)

I think we can officially declare Autumn open ;)

More like bleddy Winter  ;)

Karl I hope you are going to post a TR from your epic (or bonkers  ;)) exploits this weekend  O0
Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:34:06, 26/09/18 »
Great trip report and pictures, April - what a lovely morning to wake up to on the second day.  :) O0

The experience with the cattle sounds terrifying. I've been trying to convince myself that I'm too cautious about walking through fields with cows in but actually I think I'll stick with trying to avoid them.  :(

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:51:21, 26/09/18 »
Glad you got away safely from the cattle but it must have been very frightening.  I usually find cattle are just curious but the trouble is they're unpredictable.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #7 on: 14:43:25, 26/09/18 »
@April.  That encounter with those bullocks must have been a terrifying experience.   Pleased to hear that you both escaped unharmed.   

As well as reporting it to the Cumbria County Council Rights of Way Officer, it may be worthwhile reporting it to the Lake District National Park Authority ([email protected]).   I'm meeting up with one of the Rangers this week, so I will mention it to her then. 

Which path was it?  Was it the one that leads from Chapel House Farm towards the road at the bottom of Longlands?

Also, I know that you wild camp sensitively, but you may not be aware that local bye-laws exist on the Cadlbeck and Uldale Commons which state:

No person shall on the land without lawful authority camp or erect a tent or use any vehicle including a caravan as sleeping accommodation or occupy such a vehicle overnight.

The Commoners themselves usually report anyone they spot camping, either in a tent or in a caravan/campervan, to the LDNPA.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:56:02, 26/09/18 »
I've been trying to convince myself that I'm too cautious about walking through fields with cows in but actually I think I'll stick with trying to avoid them.  :(

Thanks adalard  :) Most of the time cows are no trouble at all. I've been through fields with bulls and calves in many times without incident. It is just the odd horrible experience like this that makes going into fields with cows in more nerve racking.

I usually find cattle are just curious but the trouble is they're unpredictable.

Yes they normally are either not interested in you at all or just a bit curious, thank goodness :)

@ Lakeland Lorry

It was on the other path that starts from the road corner north of Stanthwaite. The cattle were in one of the fields near Haining Wood/Swansey Bank, I cant remember exactly which one.

Thanks LL, I will report this to the LDNP too, I haven't had time yet to send the email to Highways as yet.

Thanks for the info about the Caldbeck and Uldale Commons. I didn't know that. I can't find anywhere that gives a map of the area it covers? We pitched where we wouldn't have been seen by any houses or farms and we were above 450m. I hope nobody saw us! 

Edited to add:
I've found a copy of byelaws from 1980 about access land, it seems it isn't just Caldbeck and Uldale Commons that have these byelaws.

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/aboutus/publicationsandplans/byelaws
« Last Edit: 19:16:10, 26/09/18 by April »
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:57:55, 26/09/18 »
Lovely photos April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #10 on: 08:47:48, 27/09/18 »
@April.

Is the path the one the arrow is pointing to on this map link?:  http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=325287&Y=536716&A=Y&Z=120

It's more than likely to be Chapel Farm's grazing land.   I'll let the Ranger know when we meet up tomorrow.   Hopefully she'll have a word with the farmer.

I doubt that you would have been seen camping where you did.   As you know, wild camping is generally tolerated in the Lakes, but the Commons is different.   It is heavily monitored by the LDNPA and it's one of the few areas where wild campers are asked to move on if they are seen.  Most of the problems with wild campers and camper vans/caravans, occur in the Mosedale Valley and also on the flat area near Carrock Fell.  There's a very high probability that you will spotted by one of the Commoners if you camp anywhere near there.

You'll be able to get a copy of the Caldbeck and Uldale Commons from page - it's the Mineral Collecting map link: 
http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/learning/geology/caldbeckminerals

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:23:13, 27/09/18 »
So beefy can't control his bullocks?  ;D
I must be lucky, they dont seem to bother me. Nice pics of sunset especially.  :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:21:19, 27/09/18 »
Thanks sunnydale  O0

@ Lakeland Lorry

It is the path indicated by the arrow. I'm going to try send the emails now, I've been struggling with time this week. I am sure the farmer is totally unaware of any problems with the cattle.

Thanks for the link to the commons info. I have seen signs before about no camping on that area near Carrock Fell so I did know about that bit, I never thought it would apply to land above 450m.
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:22:28, 27/09/18 »
I must be lucky, they dont seem to bother me.

I have a nice walk you can do if you want to put this theory to the test  ;)
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #14 on: 13:04:20, 27/09/18 »
@April.

Maybe you should make a report about it on this website:   https://killercows.co.uk/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy