Author Topic: Phone protector case advice  (Read 1248 times)

LMac27

Phone protector case advice
« on: 15:49:18, 11/12/18 »
Can anyone recommend a tough waterproof mobile phone case for a Samsung which will allow access to the touchscreen for using Viewranger?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Phone protector case advice
« Reply #1 on: 15:51:12, 11/12/18 »
Not quite sure what you mean by tough but I use the ones from AquaPac

https://aquapac.net/store/
Where there's a will ...

LMac27

« Reply #2 on: 15:56:21, 11/12/18 »
Tough, so as to protect the device if it where to be dropped onto a hard surface and to stand up to cold and wet conditions

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:09:15, 11/12/18 »
I got mine on Amazon, here seemed to be two types, an all around cover with a lid across the screen, an all around cover but no lid across the screen and the one I bought for a fiver! Made by Nillkin, no idea who they are, but the case is wearing very well! Mine has a lid that covers my screen and it opens from the side, plus the screen is magnatised so when I flip open the lid the home page is instantly displayed. Some covers have their 'hinge' on the bottom of the phone, but these I think snap to the outer casing with a press stud. Not to my liking at all but some people prefer them. In the end its all a matter of personal choice. Some types are minimum shock absorbing (like mine) whilst others are built like tanks!

I also bought a cheap see through waterproof case for when I'm hiking, £6.99, again from Amazon. Works a treat and I can work my phone even when its in the case, which in a downpour is really useful.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:51:34, 11/12/18 »
My new I phone i bought in May, resides in a lime green I Blason protective hard shell, and when i venture out in questionable weather, it sits inside its Aquapac case.
I Blason make a similar case for all the popular smart phones.
The I Blason case is one of the highest quality armour casing made for the I phone range, and even though its not waterproof, its showerproof, and  gives maximum protection on all surfaces.
The Otterbox is its closest competitor, but the protective touch sensitive screen protector, is a specially developed resin, that is impressively thick, and gives maximum protection to that expensive screen on your phone.

No phone case is fully waterproof, so an Auapac comes in handy, but the I Blason case is the one to get if you want to protect your phone.
« Last Edit: 18:58:46, 11/12/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:58:30, 11/12/18 »
I have a hard case that I keep my Samsung in.  It is a Samsung accessory as far as I know.  It clips on to the phone after you have taken the back off.  It is good enough for normal hiking but if I need a waterproof cover as opposed to a pocket in my jacket, I also use an Aquapak.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:20:24, 11/12/18 »
As far as I know Iphone cases aren't compatible with Samsung phones DA.

My setup's the same as ninthace.  Normal Samsung case and waterproof-ise it with an aquapac.  My dedicated (non-Samsung) phone just goes in an aquapac case.  It's survived being dropped several times.  I have a pen "dibber" attached to the aquapack for using it (viewranger) with gloves on  :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:24:49, 12/12/18 »
I Blason have a case for just about every popular model, including the Samsung.
The Otterbox is too heavy and cumbersome, and does not offer any more protection than the I Blason.
How many of us have accidentally dropped our phone ?, well having a hard shell cover is one excellent way of protecting it.

Ralph

« Reply #8 on: 11:43:50, 12/12/18 »
+1 for Aquapac, used for a few years now and no problems.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:28:34, 12/12/18 »
I Blason have a case for just about every popular model, including the Samsung.

After googling, indeed they do.  Apologies for the assumption that because the name starts with an "I" it's only "iphone" compatible.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:21:51, 13/12/18 »
You get generic smartphone cases for cycling that are designed to fit a clip on the handlebars so they can be used as a GPS/satnav.

Like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D6SJ7XL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5COeCbPFAZ9YM

May be worth a look.
« Last Edit: 22:23:46, 13/12/18 by NeilC »

LMac27

« Reply #11 on: 21:01:46, 13/12/18 »
Thanks for all your replies....food for thought  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy