Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292402 times)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #405 on: 13:54:38, 29/05/18 »

YUK!  I would never ever buy second hand shoes because the person who had them before might have had Athletes Foot!  Once you get that it is really hard to get rid of it, especially if it gets under your toenails, and it can lead to other fungal related diseases like trench foot. Hope this wont happen to you, but it might...

Meindl used to make/sell a product called Cleaner In and Out specifically to clean both the inside and outside of boots. Think they may have stopped selling it due to lack of sales and because of the change in Post Office regulations on posting pressurised containers. Other manufacturers or Grangers may still sell similar products. https://www.hillanddaleoutdoors.co.uk/productDetail.php?productId=838&brand=9

Filling your boots with luke warm water which has been dosed with Nikwax Tech Wash or liquid soap and soaking for a few hours before giving the insides a gentle scrub in the difficult to reach areas with an old toothbrush before thoroughly rinsing them out will shift most things.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #406 on: 14:49:55, 29/05/18 »
A new pair of lightweight walking socks. Most of my pairs are bit on the heavy side for this weather.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #407 on: 18:02:39, 29/05/18 »

..... Athletes Foot!  Once you get that it is really hard to get rid of it, especially if it gets under your toenails, and it can lead to other fungal related diseases like trench foot. Hope this wont happen to you, but it might...

Not entirely true.  Trenchfoot can cause Athlete's Foot but not the other way round.  You can give yourself Athlete's Foot and subsequent nail infections by simply not looking after your feet if they are subject to prolonged moist conditions (eg. sweating inside a pair of boots).

But, regardless, giving the inside of the boots a gentle wash/dry as kinkyboots says and giving the insides an occasional spray with proprietary fungal spray will keep your boots infection free.  That, combined with good foot care and you should be okay.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #408 on: 18:53:07, 29/05/18 »
I bought an Exped synmat HL
Looks the bees knees .
Very comfy . 
Quoted 350 grams on spec , when I checked It was 365 grams In reality ,so no big deal .
But the thing I did not like was all the Fffffffffaffing about with the Dry bag called the Snozzle for pumping it up , as blowing with your mouth will deteriorate the Sim with moisture and affect the warranty . It'[censored] or miss if It take's me 2 goes or 5 goes  :-[
I almost sent the  thing back  >:(  but decided on persevering  :-\  as I trying to get my Rucksack weight down

Troggy

« Reply #409 on: 14:24:02, 31/05/18 »
I ahd a fungal infection which was a sod to get rid of, so I'm careful with what |I wear. And although I'm not well up in the health side of feet, the chiropodist is. She advised using dettol and rubbing the inners of shoes/ boots with it after each days use. She also recommended taking care of my feet regularly with anti fungal treatment which I do. My guess is that if I've replaced the insoles (which I have) rinsed the inners out with dettol and continue that regularly, change my socks after each use then I'm much more prone to getting a fungal infection by not taking care of my feet.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #410 on: 16:15:05, 31/05/18 »
Actually I bought some new laces, I always felt that my previous ones were too long. Much better now.

We have just had a new Decathlon shop open near to us. Its like an Aladdins Cave, just the sort of shop I like to wander around in. I wonder how its going to affect Snow and Rock and Millets who are nearby?

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #411 on: 08:50:00, 01/06/18 »

Don't worry, maybe I could make some for you instead?   ;)

That would be brilliant!
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #412 on: 10:50:27, 01/06/18 »

Got a bargain at Aldi yesterday.
'Climbing Trousers' reduced from £14.99 to £7.

Nice lightweight and supposed to be 'water resistant' size L = waist 36-38

Got them home and tried them on - how strange - fasten the 'wrong way' and the zip operates with your left hand.

Looked at the packaging "LADIES"

Felt OK, looked almost 'smart', (much smarter than my baggy 'cargo pants') had sufficient room for all the 'bits' & SWMBO said "they look OK, go and see if they have any more", so will be keeping them.

Gave the leg a 'squirt' of water and it beaded off (maybe just the 'newness' tho)

Features

Waistband with elastic tape at back/ sides
  • Internal contrast waistband binding
  • Belt loops
  • Shell loop at front belt
  • 4-hole plastic button at front closure
  • Zip fly with YKK Nylon No. 5 zip, with zip under placket
  • Knee part with dividing seams
  • Knee and back area lined with double layer fabric
  • 2 hand-in side pockets with additional concealed zipper side pockets
  • Patched leg pocket: shell flap closure with hook and loop fastener
  • Inner leg pocket with additional mobile phone pocket with elastic tape at pocket entry
  • Bionic finish
  • Soil repellent
  • Water repellent
  • UPF 50+
  • UV protection
  • Comfortable to wear
  • Built for all weather
  • « Last Edit: 10:58:46, 01/06/18 by alan de enfield »

marmottungsten

« Reply #413 on: 10:58:30, 01/06/18 »

That would be brilliant!

There are lots of well made but inexpensive military Molle webbing pouches in various sizes and colours online, (usually in black, desert sand (coyote), olive or woodland camo) but they are usually made of a very thick, strong Cordura material, which makes them quite heavy...For instance, a 2.7 litre capacity medical Molle pouch weighs 360g.  I am trying to save weight where possible so I have looked around for lighter pouch options.  Zpacks in the States make an ultralight 3.2 litre capacity DCM pack/pouch that can be mounted or carried in various ways, such as over your chest via four adjustable webbing straps, or you can wear it hanging via one shoulder strap, or even as a belt pouch...It only weighs 82g!  It costs $49 (£36.85), which is very cheap for such a lightweight pouch.  I have ordered one and I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #414 on: 11:06:07, 01/06/18 »

There are lots of well made but inexpensive military Molle webbing pouches in various sizes and colours online, (usually in black, desert sand (coyote), olive or woodland camo) but they are usually made of a very thick, strong Cordura material, which makes them quite heavy...For instance, a 2.7 litre capacity medical Molle pouch weighs 360g.  I am trying to save weight where possible so I have looked around for lighter pouch options.  Zpacks in the States make an ultralight 3.2 litre capacity DCM pack/pouch that can be mounted or carried in various ways, such as over your chest via four adjustable webbing straps, or you can wear it hanging via one shoulder strap, or even as a belt pouch...It only weighs 82g!  It costs $49 (£36.85), which is very cheap for such a lightweight pouch.  I have ordered one and I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

Do you not find that after a certain point, weight reduction begins to seriously impact of the usefulness and suitability of a product for everyday 'knock-about' hiking and camping usage ?

Beth FF

« Reply #415 on: 11:46:48, 01/06/18 »
    Just waiting for a delivery of a pair of Craghoppers Kiwi zip-off trousers. Never had anything like them before but needed some multi-function clothes. Not sure other hikers are ready to see my glaringly white legs but I can always warn them to put sunglasses on whilst passing me I suppose  ;D Other than them my latest kit additions are Under Armour sports bras (so sick of bra straps slipping during hikes!) and Under Armour shorties.

Peter

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #416 on: 14:36:32, 01/06/18 »

Yes, I tried various Molle bits and pieces. They contributed to the fortune I've paid out.
    One successful (in part) item was a standard dry bag which I stitched onto a belt. Worked very well for putting gloves and hat into. Just not quite perfect.
    One of the concepts I was working towards was having items quickly to hand. I've found that too many trousers no longer have good cargo pockets. So I was trying to figure out a 'belt' that would replace trouser pockets. Needs to be waterproof. Something that can go over rain pants and coats.
    Peter
    sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
    Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

adalard

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #417 on: 15:36:26, 01/06/18 »
    One of those credit card-shaped tick removal tools after my partner picked up a tick in Wales on Monday.

The tool's now in my wallet, seems a handy little gizmo and worked well.

Beth FF

« Reply #418 on: 16:16:37, 01/06/18 »
    One of those credit card-shaped tick removal tools after my partner picked up a tick in Wales on Monday.
    I've got one of the crowbar shaped ones, called a Tom O'Twister or something, and it's brilliant. Not had to use it on myself yet but got a couple off the dog.

fernman

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #419 on: 20:06:35, 01/06/18 »
    I successfully used the larger of my two O'Tom tools two times in North Wales a couple of weeks ago. It is now my preference over the lasso tool.

But it was entirely my fault that I got the animals, for I had something new for me, a Pocket Smidge, which I applied to my arms, around my neck and shoulders and down the front of my chest where they might have got in my shirt. (I didn't do ankles and shins as I keep my trousers tucked into my socks.)

So why did I get the ticks? I had one on the back of a hand where I hadn't thought to apply the repellent, and a couple of days later one on the inside of my wrist because I packed up camp in a hurry (I was at 600m in cloud with a freezing east wind) and didn't bother to put any on me.

This tells me there were ticks around and the product was effective because I didn't get any where and when it was used.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy