Author Topic: The Pennine Journey. Has anybody walked it?  (Read 2064 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
The Pennine Journey. Has anybody walked it?
« on: 13:38:35, 09/07/19 »
I walked most of the Pennine Journey a couple of years ago but I can't remember if anyone else has done it? If you are looking for a route do please consider it, in my opinion, it's very good, only a few miles shorter than the Pennine Way. I parked my car in Settle on this occasion, walked to Horton, stayed the night and then set off proper.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: The Pennine Journey. Has anybody walked it?
« Reply #1 on: 14:55:31, 09/07/19 »
Well A. W. himself didn't - he got rained off.  I remember, when I read his book about the walk, being surprised by his apparent misogyny and, dare I say it, rudeness by modern standards.  Being a bit curmudgeonly myself, I may have enjoyed sharing a pint with him but I'm not sure I would have liked to have had him as a house guest.
Solvitur Ambulando

Stube

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:15:44, 09/07/19 »
I walked a chunk of it  last year as an adjunct to the Pennine Bridleway. It offers a much safer route from Kirkby Stephen to the start of the PBW.

I've also read AW's account - two things stand out - being able to tun up in a village and  ask around for a bed for the night, and he mainly walked the roads - you would want to that that these days!

Florence Lamb

« Reply #3 on: 18:44:25, 10/07/19 »
I've done it a couple of times camping the whole way.  It's 250 miles and does take in a chunk of the PW, but it is a circular route and so good for transport as it starts in Settle.  I enjoyed it, and would recommend it.  There is a Pennine Journey Society also.  I also believe the route is now fully waymarked - it wasn't when I last did it.  I might even do it again in reverse.  I think its popularity might be hampered by it's name as it doesn't sound like a walk, more someone's account of a journey.  As I say, if anyone is looking for a long distance route, it's worthy of a look......

FL O0

Newtoyorks

« Reply #4 on: 20:33:47, 21/07/19 »
Planning to walk it this year.

Florence Lamb - we'll be camping too. Were you using campsites, or wild camping? Any tips you could offer?

Thanks in advance  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:21:45, 21/07/19 »
When I walked it, I wild camped some of it, stayed on sites as well.

The sites I remember are at -

Horton in Ribblesdale, run by a rather jolly eccentric gentleman, I enjoyed every second of my stay there and the nearby pub. I'd stayed there before on my first Pennine Way hike. Its where I learned to ensure to erect my tent BEFORE going out drinking! I wonder he's still there?

Buckden - Nice site here, the pub across the road was closed down but I visited a very nice one, good food as well. You pass by it before you get to the camp site.

Hexham Race Course - When I was there it was windy, damp and bleak but it did the job.

Kirkby Stephen - On the way to the railway station. Very nice.

One F

« Reply #6 on: 22:53:29, 21/07/19 »

The sites I remember are at -

Horton in Ribblesdale, run by a rather jolly eccentric gentleman, I enjoyed every second of my stay there and the nearby pub. I'd stayed there before on my first Pennine Way hike. Its where I learned to ensure to erect my tent BEFORE going out drinking! I wonder he's still there?

Yes, your rather jolly eccentric gentleman is still there - I think he may be called, in the nicest way, a character  :)

Florence Lamb

« Reply #7 on: 07:26:42, 22/07/19 »
Hello Newtoyorks,  So yes I've done this twice and actually was strangely doing it a  third time but only got as far as Middleton on the third occasion due to a knee injury which forced me to abandon...anyway yes, we used a mixture of campsites and wild camping on each occasion.  It does take in some of PW and I guess camping will depend on how far you want to walk each day.  We found we had to divert slightly on occasions but we got train to Settle then walked directly to Horton to the campsite there, and yes Chris is eccentric - have known him for many years and he doesn't change, but beware this campsite can be very noisy and busy if you hit it at the wrong time.  Sometimes music is played fairly late........and if you land when three peakers are doing charity walks then its busy but that said it can be fun.  However, little alternative.
Next to Buckden - there is a great little campsite here at Heber Farm, a couple of tea shops but the pub was closed last time.  Stiff climb out of Buckeden.
 Gunnerside coming out of Askrigg - there is a campsite at Askrigg, and at Gunnerside you can camp in the farmer's field here and there is a pub and a cafe but I bypassed this and diverted to Usher Gap nr Muker - great campsite at Usher Gap, Farmers Arms in Muker also a great pub.  You can then pick the track up again out of Muker
The route takes you to Bowes I went here once then next time bypassed as facilities limited and went directly to Middleton.  I think the campsite may have closed now.  Pub on and off, and no supplies.
To Middleton - there are two/three campsites in Middleton and various pubs, etc. so you can stock up on supplies.  The main campsite has a small backpacking area, the site is busy with caravans though and a club on site.
Then to Westgate......first time I wildcamped on the moor about a mile out of Westgate - but there is a good little campsite at Westgate, and a shop.  I used this next time.
On to Blanchland - no campsite in Blanchland but if you come out of Blanchland there is a campsite near LadyCross Quarry which has limited spaces so may need to consider booking (nice campsite though) or carry on to Hexham.  Good stock up facilities at Hexham and you can camp on the racecourse if no meeting - however I camped at Fallowfields Dene which I loved.
Then to Hadrians Wall - Greencarts is where I camped one time (there is a campsite and bunkhouse here), and the next time I used Winshields Farm but I guess it depends on how far you want to walk each day - either way both are good and you can get a breakfast at the campsite at Winshields which has a good drying room and also a bunkhouse.
At Greenhead there is a hostel but we camped on the lawn at the bunkhouse in Greenhead.
 Alston - although there are facilities here, camping is limited - there is a campsite in Alston at the rear of the scrap yard, but I wouldn't camp here again!.  You can push on to Garrigill where you can camp at rear of village hall - there was a small shop here, and a pub which is on and off.
 Milburn - nice little village but no facilities so we have wild camped near Greggs Hut and used the Dufton campsite.
Appleby to Kirby Stephen - one time we wild camped on route just before hitting Kirkby Stephen, and the second time we went to the campsite on the other end of town en route.
 Garsdale Head - there is a small campsite at the farm at the rear of The Moorcock Inn which is great - basic, right on the river - we camped here on both occasions. 
From here to Sedbergh - facilities here but limited camping and we ended up a couple of miles off route at Cross Hall Farm at Cautley which was set up by a young couple at a farm - nice site if you are prepared to go slightly off route.
Then it is to Ingleton - we camped at Dent - great place but can be busy, and after this we headed back to Settle wild camping at Ribblehead on the way.....and then back to Settle.
Hope this is helpful.
FL :)

Stube

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:09:37, 22/07/19 »
The campsite behind the Moorcock Inn is/was the Yore House Farm. Last year it was closed because the farmer found it more profitable to rent the field out to raise cattle. The inn suggested wild camping beneath the viaduct which I did.

The beginning and end of a Pennine Journey co-inside with the Pennine Bridleway. The National Trail website lists campsites for both the PBW and the Pennine way which may be useful.

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennine-bridleway/plan

One site that is not identified is the Pennine View to between Kirkby Stephen and its rail station.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:21:47, 23/07/19 »
I certainly agree about the campsite in Alston, it really needs a tidy up and a facelift! For me, one of the worst I've stayed at.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:56:58, 23/07/19 »
I certainly agree about the campsite in Alston, it really needs a tidy up and a facelift! For me, one of the worst I've stayed at.
Its always been on the rough side but I think it is run by travellers and mainly used as a transit site.I found them friendly enough but its not really a place I would want to stay at again.

Newtoyorks

« Reply #11 on: 18:13:52, 23/07/19 »
Wow FL, that's great. Thank you to you, and others who have commented, for all the info.

Looking forward to September now!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy