Author Topic: Gear Help Please  (Read 3374 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Gear Help Please
« Reply #15 on: 10:09:31, 02/03/19 »
I too would caution against a detachable hood, a few years ago I climbed Skiddaw with a friend on an extremely windy day. Near the summit the wind was so stong it just ripped the hood from his jacket and was never seen again.

Although I have a hood on my Marmot Precip and on my Poncho, these days I prefer to rely more my Lowe ear covering hat, secured under my chin with elastic cord. If necessary I just pull my hood over my Lowe.

Nuluvius

« Reply #16 on: 19:39:49, 02/03/19 »
Ok so no detachable hood. What about one that folds into the collar?

Would you have specific recommendations?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:53:04, 02/03/19 »
Ok so no detachable hood. What about one that folds into the collar?

Would you have specific recommendations?

Hoods that fold into the collar are fine. I had one on my old Berghaus Mera Peak jacket and 5his worked well. This also had the advantage of huge pockets and a loose fit (good for lots of layers and for those of larger frame). The hood was much better than the one on my Jack Wolfskin jacket that does not fold into the collar. Unfortunately, the current version of the Mera Peak doesn’t get the same pockets and is Alpine fit.  >:(

Nuluvius

« Reply #18 on: 22:09:53, 02/03/19 »
What about the Long Cornise Jacket? And what is with all the version numbers of that thing?

Maggot

« Reply #19 on: 00:35:45, 08/03/19 »
Thanks for the advice. So far I think it makes sense for me to pick up some Kiwi Pros, use bottled water and a smaller pack at least initially (that can fit some bottles and my waterproof, any advice on model?).

Otherwise I've been trying to find a decent waterproof but near enough every jacket I have looked at has come with a host of bad reviews, seemingly pointing at recent quality issues. I think it makes sense to go for something with a detachable/stowable hood and pit zippers. All my local shops don't really stock much and what they do stock is either old and outdated stock or a truly horrid colour.

Which jackets? 

And where do you live?  If all your local shops are really that bad why not simply buy something on line? 

Why do you want bottled water?  Obviously carrying it loose is a bit of a pain, but get yourself a nice water bottle and do your bit to save the planet, then just refill it when it's empty.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:04:15, 08/03/19 »
The only problem I've had with a hood that rolls into the collar is with my Marmot Precip. My hood now leaks because I believe that as I rolled it the surface scratched against the small patch of velcro which is used to secure the collar to the jacket.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:29:09, 08/03/19 »

I like Alpkit's Gourdon back packs as they are waterproof. I would go for the 25L or 30+L as I find the 20L a bit small on a dry/warm day when my waterproofs and fleece need to be carried rather than worn.

Footwear is important but I wore comfy trainers for years - feet got wet but it doesn't really matter on a day walk. Good socks are really very important - my preference is for Bridgedales.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ralph

« Reply #22 on: 13:04:28, 08/03/19 »
+1 for the Alpkit Gourdon bags, no frills, just great quality waterproof bags.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #23 on: 19:15:32, 10/03/19 »

I have quite taken to Aldi's 'Workzone' Cargo trousers (£9.99).
Similar to the Craghoppers with reinforced Knees & Bum and an assortment of pockets (including one zipped one - ideal for the car keys and a bit of cash)

Various colours and sizes :

Example : https://www.aldi.co.uk/men%27s-slate-31%22-workwear-trousers/p/087639266699802
I've used quite a bit of Aldi's cycling kit for commuting - went in to buy four pints of milk and came out with four pints of milk and a reasonable softshell and change for £8.  It got "promoted" directly to gardening duties as well as commuting, as I don't care too much about it.  I haven't bought any Aldi walking kit, as I'm happy with what I have; yesterday, as there were wintry showers all day, I was in my paramo waterproof trousers that I bought in 1992 - rubbish cut but otherwise ideal for those conditions, and vastly improved with the addition of a pair of braces (cheapest pair that Next sold). 

Very easy to spend lots of money ... often not needed. I would say that if you're not sure what to get then (other than boots) not to concentrate on getting the best quality (expensive) but rather getting something at a sensible (cheap) price.
<snip>

Agree entirely. 

I'd prioritise it as follows

Footwear (and I'd recommend boots for starting off - maybe fell shoes after getting experience)then waterproofsrucsacbase layer (not cotton - there's plenty of cheapish stuff around including running kit, expensive ones might be worth it if you find you're doing a lot of walking)
I wear glasses, and find a mountain cap very useful
mid layer - expensive ones are *nicer* but not vital
Also I'd get a map (and mapcase if the map isn't waterproof) and compass and get familiar with using them - I find it makes the walking far more enjoyable to know where I am, even if someone else is navigating.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #24 on: 19:36:54, 10/03/19 »
I agree, spend your money on boots and on keeping dry. The other staff can be purchased as you learn more about what you really need. When I think of the mistakes I've purchased I could have flown around the world with the same money. I think the rule of thump is don't wear cotton items, well I don't anyway, soaks up water, takes ages to dry and when wet just makes you cold.
And chafes.  Not nice.  I'm sure that's why cowboys always walk like that in the films.  One hour of rain three years ago...
Plenty of decent trousers that are cheap -  you can always have something like running tights (ronhill tracksters) under polycotton trousers, for windproof, reasonably warm, even when wet, and fairly fast drying.  It's only because my brother gave me a voucher for my birthday that I upgraded.   

+1 for the Alpkit Gourdon bags, no frills, just great quality waterproof bags.
I have three - one 30ltr one from 2011, with no side pockets that is stuffed with random firelighting stuff etc for scouts.  One 20ltr one also from 2011 that has side pockets and a shockcord daisy chain on the outside.  That's still my favourite lightweight rucsac and still is waterproof (they're drybags, and that 20ltr one had my kindle when canoing).  I have a fluro-yellow 30ltr one from about 2015 that I use for cycle commuting. 

One tip.  They don't have internal pockets, so I tend to sort my stuff into carrier bags so everything's not in a mess at the bottom of my pack.  I also put my wallet/spare torch/spare phone powerbank into a separate small drybag so the small stuff is together and easily found. 

Thanks for the advice. So far I think it makes sense for me to pick up some Kiwi Pros, use bottled water and a smaller pack at least initially (that can fit some bottles and my waterproof, any advice on model?).

Otherwise I've been trying to find a decent waterproof but near enough every jacket I have looked at has come with a host of bad reviews, seemingly pointing at recent quality issues. I think it makes sense to go for something with a detachable/stowable hood and pit zippers. All my local shops don't really stock much and what they do stock is either old and outdated stock or a truly horrid colour.
If you're in East Anglia and anywhere near Cambridge, then I know that has a couple of decent chain shops (Cotswold and Ellis Bringham - and apparently a Decathlon) and a good independent outdoor shop (Open Air)  - I ended up looking to buy my daughter some boots as a present when visiting her there, and we ended up buying them in Open Air. 

Litehiker

« Reply #25 on: 06:08:47, 11/03/19 »
I dunno about across the pond but here in the states it's axiomatic that, unless you are in the desert, you need synthetic or wool clothing. Both dry relatively fast and synthetic pants and shirts are fairly light weight.

Merino wool is the preferred kind but personally I like it only in my socks for 3 season hiking or in sweaters, gloves and knit hats cold weather clothing.
In winter our saying is "cotton kills".

Eric B.
« Last Edit: 19:36:56, 11/03/19 by Litehiker »

Jim Parkin

« Reply #26 on: 19:35:12, 11/03/19 »
I dunno about across the pond but here in the states it's axiomatic that, unless you are in the desert, you need synthetic or wool clothing. Both dry relatively fast and synthetic pants and shirts are fairly light weight.

Merino wool is the preferred kind but personally I like it only in my socks for 3 season hiking or in sweaters, gloves and knit hats cold weather clothing.
In winter our saying is "cotton kills".  

Eric B.
Yup - and remember a lot of our winters are within a handful of degrees of freezing, so often are wet as well.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy