Author Topic: Gears for long distance walk  (Read 3853 times)

JimJim

Gears for long distance walk
« on: 00:06:27, 06/01/07 »
Hello people, I am planing a long distance walk for next summer and I got problem with gears.

My shoes are the biggest problem. At the moment I have running shoes (Nike Pegasus) and hicking boots (Peter storm skiddaw) but I do feel that both of those are not correct shoes walking on terrain which is mostly sand roads and wide paths maybe also some wlaking on the side of motor roads. Am I correct ? What kinds of shoes would you recommend ?

I also have not managed to find a correct packback yet. I am looking for 45-55 liters packback where would be something on top/side where I can tie up my tent and sleeping mat. The clousest what I have found is berghaus' freeflow 35+8 (price is also alright with it). Is there anything else you could recommend ?

I am looking for both of the products in price 40-60 pounds.

Thank you for all your help!

chrism

Re: Gears for long distance walk
« Reply #1 on: 16:46:23, 09/01/07 »
if you have found a Berghaus sac that you like - go with it.

As an advert for Berghaus. . .

I bought a  25l daysac in the mid-1980's and I am still using it.  It has been used for walking and also on every other holiday where I am travelling via public transport - plane, train etc - as I then use it as handluggage - leaving arms free to handle skis, general luggage holdall, etc. 

In that time it has not worn away at all.  It has been cleaned a couple of times  (washiing up liquid in bowl and scrubbed with a hand-nail brush) and treated with an aerosol spray once dry but that is all. 

I am only now considering whether to buy another just so as to get one that would be a bit further away from my back when it is worn, but I am undecided whether to or not - especially as there is nothing wrong with the existing one. 

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:56:57, 26/03/07 »
For your pack try on as many as you can, make sure they have weight inside them and try and find the most comfortable one for your back shape, ( snow & rock, have a vgood MacPac reduced from £160 to £65 at the moment, just thought i would let you know)

Your shoes..? What walk are you doing?

Do you really need leather or fabric

Also depending on your experiance could you wear aproach shoes, as you say mostly on sand and road?
walkingforlife.piczo.com

Any help i can give, is yours

Cheers and the best of luck
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:00:46, 13/04/07 »
Like summitzero say's try on as many as you can have a good walk a round the shop with it on.  As this is what i did and don't think your taking up there time as you need to get this right for you and at the end of the day your paying for that service so don't feel rushed take your time and get it right .

As for shoe treat this much the same or what you can do ask if you can try on your shoe's with a pack of your choice both together  ;D

peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:35:19, 13/04/07 »
JimJim

how are you getting on? good advice from WG Uk about trying both on at the same time :)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy