Author Topic: TR Gowbarrow Fell Sun 24 Nov 19  (Read 2224 times)

April

• Veteran Member
TR Gowbarrow Fell Sun 24 Nov 19
« on: 19:25:06, 26/11/19 »
My knee hadn't seized up after the 4 miles on Saturday so we did a smaller fell to test it a bit more. We parked at Dockray to do Gowbarrow Fell. The forecast wasn't bad, sunny spells and light winds were forecast. On the way we could see Gowbarrow Fell was clear of cloud but by the time we got to Dockray the clag has started to cover the fells. No sunny spells then  ::)

Clag on Gowbarrow Fell summit

No views on the summit  :D

On the way to Green Hill

It was very wet underfoot, muddy and boggy on the downs and ups to get to Green Hill. The clag lifted a little now and again so we got a few glimpses of where we were going. I'd brought the right map today but realised I'd left my compass at home (and not for the first time)  :-[  We had viewranger to keep us out of trouble but we didn't need it.

No views from Green Hill and we dropped down toward Aira Force. We stopped for some lunch near Bernard Pike.

The cloud starting to lift from Place Fell

The cloud lifting from Ullswater

The cloud lifted a little more as we ate our lunch.   

Place fell and Arnison Crag above Ullswater

Autumnal colours

We didn't visit Aira Force although the path descending Gowbarrow Fell finishes at the top of it. There were a lot of people about milling around near it, we turned right up to High Force.   

High Force 

We'd walked over the newish footbridge to take a photo of it from the left hand side of the beck.

Near Dockray

A tree near Dockray

Our route was Dockray - Gowbarrow Fell - Green Hill - Bernard Pike - Aira Force - High Force - Dockray. 4.25 miles with 400m ascent. My knee feels ok a couple of days later so I think it is on the mend. It is still stiff and I still can't kneel on it properly, this problem I've had for months but at least it isn't hurting all the time like it has for the past week and a half. The forecast looks ok for the weekend coming up, we will be out wild camping, fingers crossed it stays good  :)     
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Gowbarrow Fell Sun 24 Nov 19
« Reply #1 on: 19:35:37, 26/11/19 »
Great pics Ape  O0
Was a nice walk despite the clag
You will soon hurt your knee again carrying a heavy wild camping pack
This weekend  :D
I suppose we could leave the wine at home and I can carry some of your gear instead  ;D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:05:48, 27/11/19 »
Nice pictures April. The cloud above the tops before and after you are there but not when you are on the summit, typical.

I suppose we could leave the wine at home...
Sounds unlikely.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:11:44, 27/11/19 »
Nice pics April - hopefully your knee is on the mend - do anti-inflamatories help? I use ice and then Voltarol gel on my achilles after every proper walk, and it seems to do the trick.

I suppose we could leave the wine at home and I can carry the compass instead  ;D

Fixed that for you Beefy  ;D

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:24:52, 27/11/19 »
Nice pictures April. The cloud above the tops before and after you are there but not when you are on the summit, typical.

Sounds unlikely.
:D

Nice pics April - hopefully your knee is on the mend - do anti-inflamatories help? I use ice and then Voltarol gel on my achilles after every proper walk, and it seems to do the trick.

;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:51:54, 27/11/19 »
Lovely jubbly, even in the clag  :)

I'm so not jealous at all  :(

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:14:41, 27/11/19 »
Some nice photos there April, despite the clag.

We were walking on the coast south of Ulverston (Bardsea and Baycliff) - cloud down to sea level !
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:19:00, 27/11/19 »
Glad your knee is getting better, April

Love the photo of High Force    :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:27:08, 27/11/19 »
I suppose we could leave the wine at home and I can carry some of your gear instead  ;D

:o  :o

I can carry my gear, thank you  :)

Sounds unlikely.

Defo a non starter  ;D Thanks Ridge

Nice pics April - hopefully your knee is on the mend - do anti-inflamatories help?

Thanks pdstsp  :) I take ibuprofen already for my dodgy spine/arthritic joints. I've never used the Voltarol gel before but I have had the tablet form of the drug prescribed by the doc a few years ago. The gel might help, I will get some! I started using Turmeric and black pepper tablets earlier this year and they do help, I have had much less pain in my hands and wrists.

I will be carrying the compass!

Thanks Mel, Richard and Dovegirl  O0

Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:43:33, 28/11/19 »
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:56:56, 28/11/19 »
Thanks pleb, I'd not heard of Devil's Claw. I've just googled it, it is available in tablet form too. I will try the gel, I will get some the next time in Holland & Barrett :)
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:53:44, 29/11/19 »
The plus IMO is with gel its not going through your stomach, meaning it wont mix there with any medication or irritate your stomach.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:49:15, 29/11/19 »
The plus IMO is with gel its not going through your stomach, meaning it wont mix there with any medication or irritate your stomach.

Thanks pleb, you read my mind. Us coffin dodgers are rattling with other medication we take orally so it is wise to try things externally first :-[ 

Shoot Me Now  ;D
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:35:57, 30/11/19 »
I'm no better and I'm younger!  :-[

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:39:02, 03/12/19 »