Author Topic: TR Barf from Powter How Sat 7 Dec 19  (Read 2619 times)

April

• Veteran Member
TR Barf from Powter How Sat 7 Dec 19
« on: 18:59:39, 10/12/19 »
It was day walks for us at the weekend, the weather forecast was awful for overnight Saturday. We parked at Powter How to do a new AW for Squeaky, which was Barf.

Looking up at Barf and The Bishop

The lovely woodland path at Beckstones   

We weren't doing the direct route up by the Bishop, needless to say  :D This route is steep enough mind and we puffed and panted on our way up.                               

The very steep bit of the path

At a rock face the path becomes more than just steep. The rock steps had water running down them today so the first bit was a little tricky.

The rock face

Barf summit seen from the stile

The steep bit is over now and it is a more gentle climb up onto the top

Barf summit   

Low cloud spoiled the views. It was very cold up on the top, the gusty wind that we'd been sheltered from on the way up was more evident on the summit.         

Bass Lake from Barf 

Lord's Seat from Barf 

We quickly took a few shots then dropped down off the summit to get out of the wind. Back at the stile we saw the first people we'd seen on the walk. Quickly followed by a few more  ;D We stopped for a bite to eat sheltered in the forest before we took the longer route back to the car, winding down around Seat How to Comb Gill. 

Looking back at Barf from the forest   

View down to Powter How and the old Swan Hotel

The ascent for today isn't over

There is some ascent on the forest road around Seat How before it starts descending

On the forest road above Comb Beck

The freezing wind caught up with us at times so Squeaky had her new coat put on again. We'd all taken layers off on the ascent, we had been overheating on the steep climb up.

Barf and the Bishop seen again on the way to Beckstones

Not a bad walk, shame the tops were covered but at least we were dry. It started raining on the journey home so we'd timed the walk well! Our route was Powter How - Beckstones - Barf - Comb Gill - Beckstones - Powter How 5 miles with 430m ascent.

No pics from Sunday, we did 5 miles in total, 2 in Carlisle/Bitts Park where the wind and rain battered us. We did another 3 in Gelt Woods where we decided to escape to because it is much more sheltered there in the woods.     
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Barf from Powter How Sat 7 Dec 19
« Reply #1 on: 19:10:21, 10/12/19 »
Great pics Ape O0
Was a steep climb and tricky on those wet rocks,
And I was glad to get out of that wind Brr
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:17:02, 10/12/19 »
Great stuff  O0
Looks pretty chilly, Squeaky is getting her moneys worth out of her new coat.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:47:24, 10/12/19 »
Grand pics April O0
Glad you got a few minutes of dry weather...chucked it down all day in Langdale :(  ( iwas taking part in the Langdale 10K...well I was at the start line and 45 minutes later i was at the finish line. My eldest did the actual running bit, I was in the Sticklebarn having a gingerbread latte and a piece of cake  ;D )

Never been up to Barf that way  Only ever been from the Whinlatter side or once Seat How.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:53:44, 10/12/19 »
Another worthwhile day snatched from dismal weather O0 The Beckstones Gill path is damned steep, it would have been warm for that bit at least.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:58:12, 10/12/19 »
Nice pics and write up.  Glad you managed to get out despite the grim forecast  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:47:36, 11/12/19 »
Good to get out even if the weather is rubbish, April.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:50:27, 11/12/19 »
Grand pics April O0
Glad you got a few minutes of dry weather...chucked it down all day in Langdale :(  ( iwas taking part in the Langdale 10K...well I was at the start line and 45 minutes later i was at the finish line. My eldest did the actual running bit, I was in the Sticklebarn having a gingerbread latte and a piece of cake  ;D )

Never been up to Barf that way  Only ever been from the Whinlatter side or once Seat How.

What is that route like Karl? Forest routes can either be pretty beautiful (like the Dodd route up on a nice day) or a total slug fest through overgrown paths.  I'm intending to do the Whinlatter circuit over Xmas and quite like the idea of extending it and keeping off the steep route, just meandering through the forest then out on the tops - it's all open access land?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:57:12, 11/12/19 »
Thanks beefy  O0 I doubt we will get and Wainwright's done this weekend  :(

Squeaky is getting her moneys worth out of her new coat.

She will no doubt have it on this weekend too, the weather forecast is awful  ;)

( iwas taking part in the Langdale 10K...well I was at the start line and 45 minutes later i was at the finish line. My eldest did the actual running bit, I was in the Sticklebarn having a gingerbread latte and a piece of cake  ;D )

;D

The Beckstones Gill path is damned steep, it would have been warm for that bit at least.

It was, we were sweating buckets  :)

Nice pics and write up.  :)

Thanks Mel  :)

Good to get out even if the weather is rubbish, April.

It is Richard. We will be doing low level walks this weekend, I've just got to think of somewhere new to go!

Forest routes can either be pretty beautiful (like the Dodd route up on a nice day) or a total slug fest through overgrown paths.

Some of the forest has been felled and you do get great views now from some of the forest roads.

it's all open access land?

It is, except for the smallish areas around Darling How and Lakeland View properties. There are a few mountain bike routes that are off limits to walkers but these are well signed.

The colour coded routes from Whinlatter are quite nice to do even if you don't do the tops. The blue route is one of our favourites and we walked part of it on Saturday.
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:49:04, 11/12/19 »

What is that route like Karl? Forest routes can either be pretty beautiful (like the Dodd route up on a nice day) or a total slug fest through overgrown paths.  I'm intending to do the Whinlatter circuit over Xmas and quite like the idea of extending it and keeping off the steep route, just meandering through the forest then out on the tops - it's all open access land?
the forest path was quite nice but it was a nice day when we did it a couple of years ago ( a few pics HERE ).
What i would recommend is a visit to Seat How which i thought was a lovely little top and as a bonus if you are doing the round including Lord's Seat,  Broom fell etc you only have to walk the very muddy path from Barf once :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:18:42, 12/12/19 »
Nice pics Squeaky, and good to see you taking April and Beefy out in their winter clothes again  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:19:06, 12/12/19 »
the forest path was quite nice but it was a nice day when we did it a couple of years ago ( a few pics HERE ).
What i would recommend is a visit to Seat How which i thought was a lovely little top and as a bonus if you are doing the round including Lord's Seat,  Broom fell etc you only have to walk the very muddy path from Barf once :)

Thanks both of you - and Karl, enjoyed the pics, seemed you did get a good day even if the first few pics were looking a bit dubious.  Do think it is one of the better rounds, great access, short walk in and a nice mix of walking through woods and a few tops with views.

Quote from: April
It is, except for the smallish areas around Darling How and Lakeland View properties. There are a few mountain bike routes that are off limits to walkers but these are well signed.
The colour coded routes from Whinlatter are quite nice to do even if you don't do the tops. The blue route is one of our favourites and we walked part of it on Saturday.

Sounds pretty good, I'm tempted to have a look at them when I'm next there.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:36:53, 13/12/19 »
Great pics & report April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:35:39, 13/12/19 »
Nice pics Squeaky, and good to see you taking April and Beefy out in their winter clothes again  O0

Squeaky here,

I'll be taking them out tomorrow, so I can stalk sheep and roll in dead birds or other smelly stuff  :)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:25:21, 13/12/19 »
It is Richard. We will be doing low level walks this weekend, I've just got to think of somewhere new to go!

The forested hills between Dumfries and Dalbeattie are worth a look, April. Some good coast walking too. Not too far from the north of Cumbria.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy