Author Topic: Wearing a Woollen Hat  (Read 2763 times)

myxpyr

Wearing a Woollen Hat
« on: 15:53:35, 27/02/20 »
In case of encountering cold conditions on a walk I usually carry a woolly hat - I think some people call them beannies.

My problem is that, when I do wear it, the bloody thing never seems to stay on my head properly. I pull down to my ears and to begin with it sticks to the contour of my head. Then, withing a few moments, it's starting to ride up my head and I finish up with what looks like a silly pointed pixie hat. Does anyone else have this problem or a solution to it? >:(

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Wearing a Woollen Hat
« Reply #1 on: 16:23:48, 27/02/20 »
A little while ago I bought a very nice cheap (about £5) merino beanie from Aldi, or was it Lidl? If I wear a merino baselayer it makes me itch but this beanie didn't, I lost it last week.  :( Mine always stayed on my head because I always pulled it over my ears, If I didn't I experienced the same problem as you. Other than fitting a thin piece of material or elastic to go under your chin that's all I can think of. I've done this with my Sprayway hat and this solves my problem if I left it as it came when I bought it I would have lost it long ago.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:26:46, 27/02/20 »
In case of encountering cold conditions on a walk I usually carry a woolly hat - I think some people call them beannies.

My problem is that, when I do wear it, the bloody thing never seems to stay on my head properly. I pull down to my ears and to begin with it sticks to the contour of my head. Then, withing a few moments, it's starting to ride up my head and I finish up with what looks like a silly pointed pixie hat. Does anyone else have this problem or a solution to it? >:(
  A bigger hat.
Try a fleece hat rather than wool, less elasticity in them
« Last Edit: 16:41:38, 27/02/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:41:08, 27/02/20 »
Definitely sounds like it's too small, and gradually eases itself off. Either that or your head's growing  :D

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:31:05, 27/02/20 »
I have the same problem with hats. The only problem is that almost all hats are too small.  I have a Tilley in the largest size they do and that does fit, but it it isn’t really designed for keeping the head warm.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:57:12, 27/02/20 »
  A bigger hat.
Try a fleece hat rather than wool, less elasticity in them
Don't tell the Piskeys that.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:28:52, 27/02/20 »
I'm looking for a new fleece hat as my old one is thinner and less 'fluffy' than it used to be.
Found a lined Thinsulate one I really liked on Amazon this evening, at the bargain price of £4.49.
Plus £3.99 postage  >:(

Then I found the same or a similar one on eBay and that seller has a physical shop in Covent Garden (Jungle in Earlham Street), so they're likely to get my money. No delivery charge for me, I have a free travel pass so it'll just cost me two hours of my time getting there and back on the Tube.

UPDATE: I messaged the Amazon seller asking if they had a store. No, was the answer, and with no offer of a postage charge more proportionate to the size and price of the item, he can go to the taxidermist.
« Last Edit: 09:00:21, 28/02/20 by fernman »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:43:00, 27/02/20 »
As a glasses wearer, I try to avoid wearing a hood if possible so I tend to wear my Tilley hat year round.  Rain in the face is usually worse than cold lugs.  It is also good for keeping snow off my glasses too.  If conditions are extreme enough, I have a fleece beanie that does the job.  It comes into its own out skiing.
I used to have a Cousteau style red woolly hat that my wife knitted.  It was warm and had a grippy headband that resisted slippage.  It looked the part too, when I was out tea-bagging in the boat.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:56:33, 27/02/20 »
In-keeping with my dislike of things on my head, I have a fleece hat which spends most of its time wrapped around my flask as extra insulation.

On the rare occasions I do wear it, it does stay put.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:58:11, 27/02/20 »
tea-bagging
Tea-bagging may mean something else to other people.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:10:19, 27/02/20 »
I have lead a blameless and innocent life.  In my world it means being dangled in water on the end of a piece of string.  Mind you it usually involved dressing in rubber  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:10:53, 27/02/20 »

So glad you said that  ;D   

It certainly has nowt to do with boats where I'm from  :-X

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:21:51, 27/02/20 »
 Nowt to add  :-X

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 07:07:36, 28/02/20 »
My 'Arctic Fox' fleece/thinsulate hat fits me well, keeps my head and ears toasty warm, and has lasted decades. My 'go to' hat for winter conditions - anything less and I'll probably just use a 'buff'.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

watershed

« Reply #14 on: 07:35:52, 28/02/20 »
 I Too find that hats don't quite cover enough on windy days and have found a buff handy.
I mentioned this to my mother, who is 90Years old. The next week she presented me with a Shetland traditional hat/Beanie that she knitted with an extra row added.
 It is ideal and it is now my go to hat.
She had previously knitted me a Shetland patterned head band that I wore when I walked the TGO challenge across Scotland.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy