Author Topic: Ridge walks?  (Read 5644 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Ridge walks?
« on: 22:58:28, 13/04/06 »
We all know about Striding Edge but there must be some more classic ridge walks.

Crag Rat

Re: Ridge walks?
« Reply #1 on: 13:03:56, 28/07/06 »
Not sure if you'd class the Fairfield Horseshoe as a ridge walk but it's certainly a classic!!   I'm planning to do it in September during my week long stay in the Lakes. 

I'm on a mission to complete all 214 Wainwrights and so far I have done 8.  The good thing about the Fairfield Horseshoe is that I will double my Wainwright total in 1 day!!  :)
« Last Edit: 12:37:40, 31/07/06 by Crag Rat »
....because it's there....

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 23:19:59, 30/07/06 »
Fairfield horseshoe is indeed a classic. There are some delightful ridge sections down to Ambleside. When I went about 4 years ago, there was a bloke doing the circuit on a mountain bike, who we met on the summit of Fairfield. Now that was one thing I was not expecting to see at the top. We saw him again as he passed us at some speed on the descent and I'm not sure if he was fully in control or not, but it was hilarious watching him being bounced around like a rag doll along the rocky path.

Dunno if he should have been up there. Is it bridleway?

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:50:43, 18/09/07 »
We all know about Striding Edge but there must be some more classic ridge walks.
Blencathra via sharp Edge from Scales!
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

peter60

« Reply #4 on: 08:07:08, 19/09/07 »
I think the Snowdon Horseshoe (Crib Goch, Carnedd Ugain, Snowdon and Y Lliwedd) is the best ridge walk South of the Scottish border. Drama, excitement, exposure, scenery, danger - it has the lot.  8)

I've just realised - it just doesn't happen to be in the Lakes! Silly me! :idiot2:
« Last Edit: 09:14:59, 19/09/07 by peter60 »

peter60

« Reply #5 on: 09:19:32, 19/09/07 »
Getting back to the Lakes...  ;)

The Buttermere Round is a very fine Lake District peak bagging walk. May not strictly be a ridge walk, but one that I've always wanted to do.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:36:14, 21/09/07 »
Getting back to the Lakes...  ;)

The Buttermere Round is a very fine Lake District peak bagging walk. May not strictly be a ridge walk, but one that I've always wanted to do.

:-\which peaks do you bag on this trekk?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

peter60

« Reply #7 on: 16:00:24, 21/09/07 »
Dodd, Red Pike, High Stile, High Crag, Haystacks, Dale Head and Robinson. Check out the link I posted above, it has a route, map and photos.  :)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:40:38, 21/09/07 »
Crib Goch a classic walk knife edge ridge lovely!!!(NOT!!!) as I s1ht myself up there for it was going to be a piece of cake, I kid you  not I made it a cross. We stopped for a break at the top, I suffer from vertigo really badly and had a bad time one snowdonia last time I was up there, so of we set managed it really well no vertigo sit had break  next thing I could feel it coming on so I said to my little self your fine clam down this is no time to have vertigo I was scared stiff next thing I heard this guy say "people have died up here" well I wanted to push him of believe me I went vertigo come back , So I decided to look down at the Lake to see what I was like, I could not believe it , it was the most beautiful I saw that day, and from them on I every second of it fab..       
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Wandering Aengus

« Reply #9 on: 22:35:26, 25/10/07 »
If you want a classic ridge walk in the style of striding edge, there is none better than Sharp Edge on Blencathra. A superb ridge with lots of exposure but always just the right side of terrifying. Best place to start is the car park below Mousthwaite Combe on the gated road from Scales. Climb steeply up to the lovely Scales Tarn, gain the ridge above then enjoy the sheer exhilaration of a clean rock arete to the top of what Wainwright described as the 'loveliest object in Lakeland'.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:01:45, 26/10/07 »
 O0 Excellent photos..,i'd love to do Sharp Edge one day. And i will.

Phil_M

« Reply #11 on: 15:19:15, 29/10/07 »
Sharp Edge is a classic lakeland ridge, but to make a great day even better ascend Blencathra via Hall's Fell ridge from Threlkeld and then descend via Sharp Edge. Absolutely fantastic, classic lakes walk thoroughly recommend it.  O0
Don't waste time...........jump to conclusions.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:12:16, 05/11/07 »
Blencathra is one the best for me, think i spelt it right  :-\
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:13:18, 05/11/07 »
Sorry, Also i wanted to say a big hello and welcome to all the new forum members  O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy