Author Topic: Saving money on train journeys.  (Read 1752 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Saving money on train journeys.
« on: 17:00:36, 23/07/19 »
In April I tried split ticketing for the first time and managed to get a low price from Portsmouth to Penrith. I was playing around on the split ticketing site yesterday and tried Portsmouth to Barnstaple, I managed to find prices ranging from £40 down to £20. The £20 price surprised me because that was early in the morning, the after 10.00hrs price was higher, even using my Senior Railcard.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Saving money on train journeys.
« Reply #1 on: 17:47:58, 23/07/19 »
In April I tried split ticketing for the first time and managed to get a low price from Portsmouth to Penrith. I was playing around on the split ticketing site yesterday and tried Portsmouth to Barnstaple, I managed to find prices ranging from £40 down to £20. The £20 price surprised me because that was early in the morning, the after 10.00hrs price was higher, even using my Senior Railcard.

Ticket splitting can make an amazing difference to price.

To take an example of a journey I often do...Chesterfield to  Birmingham..it is nearly always much cheaper to buy a Chesterfield to Derby return, and a Derby to Birmingham return than a Chesterfield to Birmingham return.

All Chesterfield to Birmingham trains stop at Derby anyway so you can still catch exactly the same train. (NB Chesterfield sells Derby to Birmingham tickets, no need to buy them at Derby.)

The wheeze that is even stranger is buying tickets for destinations beyond where you are going. For example, Chesterfield to York can often be done by buying a ticket for places beyond York and just getting off at York, (Unless they have been put in recently, York has no ticket barriers,)

A good general tip is to go to local ticket office (when they are not busy!) and say “Can you tell me cheapest way to get to....” Most are very helpful..and know all the tricks.

Ralph

« Reply #2 on: 19:53:30, 23/07/19 »
One of my regular journeys is from Nottingham to Edale via Worksop. By splitting the ticket for Worksop onwards it is around £4 cheaper, that's a good saving. Never asked at a station, I just do it and book online, but I have the time. The £4 just about pays for a pint in the Nags Head at the end of a walk.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:09:07, 23/07/19 »
Another couple of general tips:-

1/ Anyone who does more than a minimal amount of train travel:- if you qualify for a discount card...student, senior railcard, or 2 for 1...get the discount card double pronto. It costs in very, very quickly.

2/ For married couples over 60 that qualify for both senior discount cards and 2 for 1 cards I suggest getting two senior discount cards (rather than one 2 for 1 card) UNLESS you always travel together. Yes..more expensive initially..but also more flexible. And you can use the senior discount card on a fair number of journeys where 2 for 1 card can’t be used...such as journeys in peak hours.)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:17:08, 23/07/19 »
For anybody with a smartphone downloading Trainline app is worth thinking about. In my experience it’s pretty reliable, makes buying electronic tickets easy..avoiding queues to buy physical tickets.

And it gives fast useful real time info...a few times, for example, I’ve used it to check train times and got info a particular train is running late..so made my way to station to catch it..where without that info I would have just “killed time” before making way to station for a train scheduled to run later.

Stube

« Reply #5 on: 12:53:46, 25/07/19 »
I you regularly shop at Tesco's and have a clubcard. Then £10 worth of clubcard points buys a discount railcard online. That's a third of the usual price for a one year card.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:06:31, 25/07/19 »
That's how my wife bought mine. How are you Stube, well I hope.

LostBoy84A

« Reply #7 on: 19:32:52, 25/07/19 »
When buying tickets online it is always cheaper to buy direct from the train operator you are travelling with as you will pay no booking fee's. Third party ticket sales agencies such as the aforementioned Trainline just sell other companies tickets and will charge you the booking fee's to make a larger profit and pay for their mass advertising. Train running information also tends to be more accurate from the train operators also.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:42:03, 25/07/19 »
When buying tickets online it is always cheaper to buy direct from the train operator you are travelling with as you will pay no booking fee's. Third party ticket sales agencies such as the aforementioned Trainline just sell other companies tickets and will charge you the booking fee's to make a larger profit and pay for their mass advertising. Train running information also tends to be more accurate from the train operators also.

Buying through the Trainline mobile phone app on the day itself usually avoids booking fee.

But yes good tip...because I nearly always buy ticket via app on day itself..I never realised Trainline typically charges booking fee in most other cases.
« Last Edit: 19:48:05, 25/07/19 by pauldawes »

Doddy

« Reply #9 on: 16:20:21, 27/07/19 »
Anyone come up with a way of avoiding a walk up train price at the end of a multiday/week walk. I am never sure of my finish date and want to avoid booking a return ticket and then use accommodation and have to hang about waiting for the return date.

Ralph

« Reply #10 on: 18:26:34, 27/07/19 »
Around 5 years ago I was in the Lakes based in Windermere having got there on a one way ticket for £23. After 5 days non stop rain I decided to return to Nottingham, asked at Windermere station for the cheapest way home. It took 15 minutes for the chap behind the counter to work it out but the outcome was  4 trains, the first 2 were 1st class, the connections were great. Believe it or not the cost was £17. I always risk it but this is my best example. Never failed, be adventurous.

Ralph

« Reply #11 on: 18:30:56, 27/07/19 »
Sorry but forgot to mention that I have a railcard, but add a third onto the prices and its still very cheap

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:45:23, 27/07/19 »
I've often had the problem of trying to get a reasonably priced ticket to get home. I usually start to look online about two days before my walk finishes. I've only managed to get one once.

I've been looking at split ticketing a lot this last week, it looks like this may be my best option next hike? Unfortunately, I can never seem to get a good price from here in Portsmouth to Penrith. A single to get back is usually worse.

When I compare my three years ago journey from Perpignan to Paris on a TVG high speed train, just under £60, to trying to get to Penrith, even with my railcard above £90! How can Boris make Britain great again with such attitudes about transport in our country!  :-\

Doddy

« Reply #13 on: 14:20:50, 08/08/19 »
I live very close to a small airport - I can walk there; nearly always I can be walking in the Netherlands or Germany quicker and cheaper than travelling by train to South West England or Scottish Highlands. Advance train tickets could change this I am a senior and look for a good weather window and decide quickly to travel and hike. I do sometimes fly to Aberdeen and get a train into the Highlands much better than enduring hours of poor train passenger behaviour.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:58:33, 08/08/19 »
If you wear hearing aids you can get a Disabled Persons rail card for £20. It also entitles the person travelling with you to the same discount. There is no minimum ages for this card

https://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/the-benefits/
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy