Author Topic: Hadrian's Wall Path: Trip report  (Read 2189 times)

FTSTTLB

Hadrian's Wall Path: Trip report
« on: 18:14:25, 18/02/19 »
So I've finished translating my Hadrian's Wall Path blog to English. It has a description of the 8 stages, from Wallsend to Bowness-on-Solway, including historical trivia and info about food and accommodations.For one reason or another I thought it might be interesting to use a personal star rating system, to show potential enthusiasts which stages are more remarkable than others (of course IMHO)
So it might be interesting for people who have walked HW path, who are planning to walk it or just fellow hiking/history entusiasts
https://seatothelandbeyond.wordpress.com/hadrians-wall-path-2/

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Hadrian's Wall Path: Trip report
« Reply #1 on: 19:51:11, 19/02/19 »
I read a bit of your blog this afternoon. I read it with great interest because I was born in Newcastle and have lived within a few miles of Hadrian's Wall my whole life. We always referred to it as The Roman Wall when we were children. I now live in Cumbria but still within a few miles of the wall.

There are parts of the wall that can be seen in Newcastle before you get to Heddon but they are off the official path, at Denton Burn on the West Road. It is a shame you missed the wall at Heddon, it is on the eastern side of the village, not that far from the path.

I will read some of your blog later, thanks for posting a link to it  O0

Edited to add a pic of the Wall at Heddon
« Last Edit: 19:58:27, 19/02/19 by April »
Hate will never win

FTSTTLB

« Reply #2 on: 21:48:47, 19/02/19 »
Oh no, we missed the bit at the absolute beginning, but we did saw the one in Heddon, but visited that on the second day (probably because we were too tired after the first one).I briefly talk about that part in the post about Heddon to East Wallhouses.

Must have been great growing up near the Roman Wall.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:43:34, 20/02/19 »
I should have read a bit more of your blog before posting  :)

I will read more of it this lunchtime. I walk along the wall path quite a lot because it is so close by  :)
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:38:47, 20/02/19 »
I have now read your whole report. I enjoyed it very much and I learned lots of things I didn't know about an area I walk quite a lot  :-[

It is a great read and I hope you post more reports about your other adventures  O0
Hate will never win

FTSTTLB

« Reply #5 on: 12:45:23, 20/02/19 »
I have now read your whole report. I enjoyed it very much and I learned lots of things I didn't know about an area I walk quite a lot  :-[

It is a great read and I hope you post more reports about your other adventures  O0
Thank you very much! Glad you enjoyed it. I'm going to start with Offa's Dyke (Prestatyn to Knighton) soon.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:19:21, 20/02/19 »
A thorough and detailed report, well done.  O0
It rekindled my interest in doing the trail but I still struggle with the logistics of wild camping the whole route, especially the western end.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:26:16, 20/02/19 »
I still struggle with the logistics of wild camping the whole route, especially the western end.

I know people do wild camp here sometimes but I have never wild camped near Hadrian's Wall. It is sort of, not the done thing. There would be places away from the wall path but good water sources may be a problem, there are farms dotted about all over. As you say, the struggle with the logistics of it makes it more difficult.
Hate will never win

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:55:00, 21/02/19 »
A timely entry for me to read. Thank you. I'm going to the 'meet' at Buttermere in April and once done I'm thinking of hiking to my son and his wife in Edinburgh, but I'm only thinking about it at the moment! A possible route for me is to walk from Buttermere to the Cumbria Way and then on to Carlyle. I could then walk east along Hadrian's Wall and when I get to the Pennine Way I could then turn north to Kirk Yetholm and then onto Edinburgh. Looks good, I've just got to decide if this is really the one for me?

FTSTTLB

« Reply #9 on: 18:06:55, 21/02/19 »
What would make it the one for you? (or not the one for you)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:45:32, 21/02/19 »
I think its all to do with the weather, will I feel fit and well enough to do it and would I at that moment have the motivation? I anticipate it would take me around two weeks. I could also consider another option, going to Penrith on the bus and joining the Pennine Journey at Kirkland and then walk north until it merges with the Pennine Way and just follow that to Kirk Yetholm. I will decide eventually, but nearer to the Borrowdale 'meet' date.

It does appeal to me because when I get to Edinburgh I can sleep at my son's place and when I'm ready I can just fly back to Southampton Airport and my wife will pick me up.

FTSTTLB

« Reply #11 on: 13:34:29, 22/02/19 »
Well, it all sounds wonderful to me. It's quite annoying to live in Belgium, especially Flanders, with the landscape being as it is, with a lot of population density, a terrible environmental and urban planning and no way of rights, which means you often have stretches of roads to walk... I'd love to be just able to head out and stroll the UK hills, but ah well.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:17:17, 22/02/19 »
I was hiking on Gran Canaria recently and at Cruz de Tejuda I met a Belgian mother and her 22 year old daughter and they told me more or less the same thing. The young woman got a fright when we were all walking towards the local hostel. A small flock of sheep, about 15 of them, followed herand when she moved, they moved, when she stopped, they stopped! It freaked her out and the shepherd had to 'rescue' her!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy