Author Topic: Daily 20 minute walk outdoors boosts wellbeing  (Read 9177 times)

Ralph

Re: Daily 20 minute walk outdoors boosts wellbeing
« Reply #15 on: 13:36:08, 14/04/19 »
I seem to come across rubbish like that more and more in the last year or so. Also noticed that it gets added too if not removed by the council quickly. It may seem harsh but offenders who use vehicles to dump it should be fined and get 6 points on their licence when caught. I don't know what the answer is but it has to be stopped.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:40:47, 14/04/19 »
It may seem harsh but offenders who use vehicles to dump it should be fined and get 6 points on their licence when caught. I don't know what the answer is but it has to be stopped.

Google says:

Fly-tipping is a criminal offence punishable by a fine of up to £50,000 or 12 months imprisonment if convicted in a Magistrates' Court. The offence can attract an unlimited fine and up to 5 years imprisonment if convicted in a Crown Court.

I doubt a standard sentence of life imprisonment would stop it because the likelihood of being caught is low.

Ralph

« Reply #17 on: 13:49:22, 14/04/19 »
Google says:

Fly-tipping is a criminal offence punishable by a fine of up to £50,000 or 12 months imprisonment if convicted in a Magistrates' Court. The offence can attract an unlimited fine and up to 5 years imprisonment if convicted in a Crown Court.

I doubt a standard sentence of life imprisonment would stop it because the likelihood of being caught is low.
And I thought I was being harsh. As you say the chances of being caught are low.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:17:11, 14/04/19 »
Any vehicle used to fly tip should be confiscated. The same penalty should apply to those using a phone while driving- confiscation of phone and vehicle in this case.

Ralph

« Reply #19 on: 17:21:58, 14/04/19 »
Any vehicle used to fly tip should be confiscated. The same penalty should apply to those using a phone while driving- confiscation of phone and vehicle in this case.
I agree with you. I also think that some councils changing to fortnightly bin collections made things worse, no excuse though for Fly-tipping.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 23:30:29, 14/04/19 »
That's one thing I preferred about the South Downs to the Lakes, less people! On the other hand it's interesting to talk to the people in the Lakes about the area.

Depends where you go in the Lakes, Rob, as you get more experience you will find that the lesser known fells are generally quiet,and all the fells are quiet around dawn, which is why I walk very early. 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:51:38, 14/04/19 »

Depends where you go in the Lakes, Rob, as you get more experience you will find that the lesser known fells are generally quiet,and all the fells are quiet around dawn, which is why I walk very early.
  Yes, apart from the odd wild camper, you can get most fells to yourself if you make an alpine start.  And you can enjoy watching all the red faces still going up as you come down.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 00:13:27, 15/04/19 »
I'm generally more of a night owl, frequently don't go to bed until 3am. It was bad enough getting up at 7:45 yesterday (think I only got 3 hours sleep despite going to bed at 1 am) for Loadpot Hill, Alpine starts might be a bit of a daydream though it's possible I suppose after a period of adjustment.

FTSTTLB

« Reply #23 on: 08:17:18, 15/04/19 »
I do have my 25 minute walk during my break at work. It works wonders. But I also try to do most things on foot in town, and can get the same sense of relaxation. But it doesn't surprise me at all that it reduces stress. I used sports and walking as well when I was having anxiety issues.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:02:49, 15/04/19 »
I find walking around town stressful. Everyone walks too slowly, changes direction or stops without warning or has their head down looking at a phone. I usually have a bit of fun leaving my avoidance measures until the possible victim is on the point of being trampled by the human equivalent of a hippo  :D

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 21:18:59, 15/04/19 »
I usually have a bit of fun leaving my avoidance measures until the possible victim is on the point of being trampled by the human equivalent of a hippo  :D

The kind of walker if I haven't avoided earlier I turn+step sideways at the very last second to slide past.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:53:35, 15/04/19 »
Walking round town isn't a pleasure for me.... the noise, the fumes, the litter, the beggers, the "we're just conducting this survey"-ers, the knife crime, the murders, the spice-zombies.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 22:08:41, 15/04/19 »
Walking round town isn't a pleasure for me.... the noise, the fumes, the litter, the beggers, the "we're just conducting this survey"-ers, the knife crime, the murders, the spice-zombies.

Maybe you should move! It's quite nice walking around here as town walks go. Probably too expensive if you wanted to stay near friends/job/etc though. I'm glad I grew up in a city and I like cities but the worst thing that happens here (outside of the horse fair) is some kids threw something at a bloke, it even made the news. Plus you get more home for it's value (my largish flat is worth around £100k) and I've got sheep out of my living room window.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 22:19:19, 15/04/19 »
I don't live in the town (city) but I do have to go to the city regularly for work.  Luckily where I do live is a much nicer, quieter place.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 22:35:46, 15/04/19 »
Maybe you should move! It's quite nice walking around here as town walks go. Probably too expensive if you wanted to stay near friends/job/etc though. I'm glad I grew up in a city and I like cities but the worst thing that happens here (outside of the horse fair) is some kids threw something at a bloke, it even made the news. Plus you get more home for it's value (my largish flat is worth around £100k) and I've got sheep out of my living room window.

Do you have any tips for getting sheep out through the window?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy