Author Topic: The Joys of the Quantock Hills  (Read 6124 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
The Joys of the Quantock Hills
« on: 18:20:21, 14/09/19 »
Having recently decided that the Quantock Hills were within striking range we have now had 5 trips in the area, two to the southern end and three to the northern part.  I have to say they are well worth a visit.  There are the tops with views across to Wales and along the English coast line as well as to Exmoor in the west and over Somerset Levels as the Mendips in the E.  Then within minutes you can be plunged into deep woody combes with streams crisscrossing your path before climbing back up on the tops again for more views. Here are 3 pictures from my mobile that sort of sum it up the contrast.
From this:
Higher Hare Knap looking SW.

Same hill looking NE.  That's Hinkley Point in the distance.

15mins later, Slaughterhouse Combe.

Solvitur Ambulando

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: The Joys of the Quantock Hills
« Reply #1 on: 21:09:59, 14/09/19 »
Been there twice recently..walked from the CP at Dead Womans Ditch down to Kilve beach, along the coast to East Quantoxhead and the long pull up to the trig point and then along the tops to the CP. Great walking country.
It's all uphill from here.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:37:00, 14/09/19 »
My local hills. Love them.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:40:21, 15/09/19 »
My local hills. Love them.
  Yes - seen your footprints in ViewRanger!
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:12:17, 15/09/19 »
I thought when I saw this we were going to be treated to a ninthace TR but alas you haven't embraced the dark side. It does look and sound nice there, it looks nicer round here going the small sample of photos but if I'm ever in the area I'll go find out what it's like.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:18:30, 15/09/19 »
I thought when I saw this we were going to be treated to a ninthace TR but alas you haven't embraced the dark side.
No Rob, still part of the Rebel Alliance I'm afraid and still rarely read TRs unless they are from an exceptional area.  I normally only take a picture on a walk if I want one to accompany a ViewRanger route and I see something worthwhile. I was just quite taken by the Quantocks as they are ideal for half day walks.so I broke my habit on my last trip by taking 2 extra pictures.  If I see something really odd or picturesque I might take a picture on my mobile to share with the family via Whatsapp when I get home.  To be honest, if I took more pictures on my walks I am not sure what I would do with them.  I have an odd memory in that I can recall walks in a fair degree of detail just by looking at the trace on a map.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:09:49, 15/09/19 »
Nobody on my walking group takes photos except me either.

I was going to say I wish I had your odd memory as well as your vocabulary, knowledge, resources and experience. Then I remembered what Mel said about comparisons and realised people might think that's some sort of dissatisfaction or envy, it's not, I admire these things except the financial resources, that would just be nice to have. I like your style too though I don't wish to have it. Hopefully it's great being ninthace, seems pretty good from here.

Personally I love taking pictures. I like the aesthetic aspect for my own personal enjoyment and sharing the aesthetic pleasure with others and I like getting supportive or admirational reactions from others (I don't go out of my way for them but do sometimes look for them as a byproduct of a choices I'd have made anyway if the choice felt like an achievement or is something others appreciate) and I like that they keep a record of where I've been that I can refer to as a reference, timestamped, dated and with GPS location data.

You may not partake in the seeking of indulgent reactions from others but you could share the aesthetic pleasure of more of your experiences if you posted more pictures!

As for TRs for me they give aesthetic pleasure and provide a short story to read. They also inspire me. Some of them are better than others. I don't read all the TRs, if they're not engaging I just flick through the pictures. Putting one together is more trouble than it's worth to me so I appreciate that you don't, even if they'd be well received.

I doubt you'll be at the planned meet Oct 13th given it's distance from you but if you did go it would be great to find out what you're like in person.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:49:17, 15/09/19 »
Nice photos, particularly Slaughterhouse Combe O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:51:39, 16/09/19 »
lol, slaughterhouse combe is a great name  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:50:20, 16/09/19 »
Lovely woodland.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:59:45, 16/09/19 »
Blimey  :o  Ninthace doing a sort of trip report!  You feeling okay?  ;)

Nice pics - the slaughterhouse one being my fave too  :)   

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:34:33, 16/09/19 »
Blimey  :o  Ninthace doing a sort of trip report!  You feeling okay?  ;)

Cheeky young lady, and after I offered to chip in for your new jacket too!  Not sure 3 pics and no narrative constitutes a TR.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:25:00, 16/09/19 »
 :D  well, you went for a walk, you wrote some words and posted some pics on the relevant regional board on here so, in my world, that constitutes a trip report  :P 

Just noticed Slowcoach's comment about Dead Womans Ditch and then there's you posting about Slaughterhouses .....

... the Quantocks sound a lovely area....  :o

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:08:39, 16/09/19 »
There's also a Knacker's Hole  - they're a colourful lot over in Zummerzet.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:49:50, 03/10/19 »
Looks like good walking country.  Great photos. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy