Author Topic: TR Red Pike, Starling Dodd and Great Borne Sun 13 May 18  (Read 1817 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Day 2 of our White Pike camp

We awoke to blue sky and sunshine, what a glorious day. It was cold out of the tent despite the sunshine. It had rained a bit overnight but I was fast asleep and hadn't heard it.

Beefy on Red Pike

We chatted to 2 blokes who were at Red Pike when we got there. They had pitched at Bleaberry Tarn, nice fellas, north easterners, they were off doing the High Stile Ridge and Haystacks.

The view eastward from Red Pike

Beefy on Little Dodd top

It had seemed to take forever on the descent from Red Pike. We were pleased we didn't carry on to Starling Dodd the night before, we would have been absolutely knackered by the time we got here, never mind Starling Dodd!

Starling Dodd is next up

Beefy on Starling Dodd

Great Gable, Pillar, Scoat Fell and Haycock from the route to Great Borne

Beefy on Great Borne

Thank you to the nice man who let us get a shot of the summit  O0 He had got to the summit the same time as us. Apart from the 2 blokes on Red Pike, we had seen a fell runner, this man but then nobody else until we reached Crummock Water later on. We climbed over the fence and found a spot out of the cold wind for our lunch. It was still quite cold in the wind, out of the wind and in the sun it was lovely and warm.

Close up of Eel Crag, Wandope and Whiteless Pike from our lunch spot

Starling Dodd, Red Pike and High Stile from our lunch spot

Lunch finished we descended down a trod for a while toward Red Gill but this petered out and it was make your own route up. We were getting the bus to Keswick from Lanthwaite Green and we were walking through Mosedale to get there.

Great Bourne and Floutern Tarn

The waterfall on Red Gill

Mosedale ahead

It was rough and boggy walking at times getting to Mosedale, it reminded us of Moffat!

Whiteside and Grasmoor from Green Wood

A look at the time gave us a shock, we would have to shift to catch the bus at 2.34 from Lanthwaite Green; we had 35 minutes.

Across Crummock Water to Rannerdale Knotts

We raced around the shore path and into Lanthwaite Wood getting hotter and hotter with the sun beating down on us. We got to Lanthwaite Green at 2.30, 4 minutes to wait for the bus. We needn't have rushed, it was 20 minutes late  ;D Caught up in traffic no doubt, what will it be like if the Honister Zip Wire goes ahead, they might as well throw the bus timetable out of the window.

Day 2 was White Pike - Red Pike - Little Dodd - Starling Dodd - Great Borne - Red Gill - Mosedale - Green Wood - Lanthwaite Wood - Lanthwaite Green 14.9km with 464m ascent.

Our luck was in when we got to Carlisle we caught the bus we normally just miss and didn't have the extra mile and a half to walk to get home. A very good weekend, looking forward to the next one. Only downside was I noticed I had a tick on my leg but only after I had been in the bath. Not the best thing to do to a tick, immerse it in hot water for half an hour  :(
Hate will never win

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Red Pike, Starling Dodd and Great Borne Sun 13 May 18
« Reply #1 on: 21:41:51, 16/05/18 »
Tremendous views and not another walker in sight  ;D  Well done April  O0

Shame about the tick, did you manage to extract the little critter?

Regards Keith

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:53:52, 16/05/18 »
More fantastic pics  O0
What a great weekend this was

I'm not drinking single malt again  ;D
I woke up with the inner zip half open and my cameras outside
Thankfully they were under the flysheet  out of the rain  :o
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:50:22, 17/05/18 »
Hope you are OK after your tick encounter.
You were lucky to meet so few people on such a glorious day.

Stunning pics  :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:48:24, 17/05/18 »
Stunning day - love the shot looking east from Red Pike (Red Pike is one of my Clagwrights and needs to be revisited)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:35:26, 17/05/18 »
Shame about the tick, did you manage to extract the little critter?

Hope you are OK after your tick encounter.

I did remove it, it was dead I think. I am checking for the rash or any signs of Lyme disease like I had to the last time this happened  :(

I'm not drinking single malt again  ;D

Bleddy alki

@ pdstsp lol @ Clagwrights. Beefy has a few of them to revisit as well  :)
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:14:44, 17/05/18 »
Beefy awoke to his zip half open? the mind boggles.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:15:32, 17/05/18 »
Pleb  :o
Oh really !!!
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:16:15, 17/05/18 »
Lovely pics from a really fine weekend O0
I do feel for that poor tick though. Drowned in your mucky bathwater, although if he drank any of your 90% proof blood he died happy :)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:49:45, 17/05/18 »
Lovely photos April    :)   What a great view from your lunch spot
Hope you're OK after the tick episode

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:41:13, 17/05/18 »

Well your mind is always boggling

I do feel for that poor tick though. Drowned in your mucky bathwater, although if he drank any of your 90% proof blood he died happy :)

;D The bath water was a bit mucky.

I didn't drink any of that single malt (horrible stuff) so my blood was only about 13.5%  :D

Thanks Dovegirl, no sign of any rash or owt, I'm checking every day and will for a while  :)

Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:28:59, 20/05/18 »
More fantastic pictures, April  O0   Nice to see Grasmoor and surrounding peaks from across that side of the valley - I haven't been across there and it's always great to get a new perspective.

Not ideal to have soaked the tick as you say, but at least you spotted the little beggar and know to keep an eye out for symptoms. Hope all turns out fine, I'm sure it will.  :(

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:05:24, 20/05/18 »
Lovely photos & report April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:21:37, 20/05/18 »
Fantastic report and photos April O0  Can I ask if the descent route from Red Pike to neighbouring summits is straightforward? Also Great Borne to Red gill descent to Mosedale - is that straightforward or are there alternative descents? Thinking of doing these summits this year. Thanks, Henry

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:07:37, 20/05/18 »
Not ideal to have soaked the tick as you say, but at least you spotted the little beggar and know to keep an eye out for symptoms. Hope all turns out fine, I'm sure it will.  :(

This is the second time I have had a tick, not noticed and soaked it in the bath  ;D

Thanks Sunnydale   :)

Henry, the descent from Red Pike toward Starling Dodd is loose stones but only if you use the path. I always descend on the grass, much easier.

The route down Red Gill is pathless for the most part but there are a few trods about if you can find them. Mosedale is a bit wet and boggy too. There is another descent from Great Borne down Steel Brow, it is steep though and then a bit of a hike back if you are returning to Buttermere.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy