Author Topic: How much training to do for a long distance walk?  (Read 4378 times)

Binka

Hi everyone.

I shall be doing the c2c next summer with a friend and we’re wondering about training as we’ve never done a long distance walk before.  We will be having our bags transported for us so no heavy backpacks!  Will be doing it in 13 days.

We’re both quite keen gym goers and run 5-7k twice a week, do body pump classes a couple of times a week and a spin class and a body combat class.  So I think our general fitness is ok.

I’m used to walking a fair bit.  I go to the Lakes 3 times a year for a week’s walking each time.  Was there last month and so am used to doing back to back days of walking though admittedly not the distances involved in c2c.  I got to the top of Scarfell Pike in just under 2 hours last month.  But guess I only walk for 4-5 hours a day when in the Lakes.  My friend doesn’t do so much walking.

We went out yesterday for a practice walk locally and did 10 miles in 3 hours.  A bit of up and down, rolling hills But nothing too steep.  How often do we need to be doing those sort of practice walks because from a time point of view I think we will struggle to do it more than once a fortnight?  Is that enough?

We could probably add in some evening gym stuff and crank the incline up on the treadmill or use the stairclimber machine (we’re in Lincolnshire so very flat locally).  Next spring I could potentially walk to work and back a couple of days a week (six miles there on a canal path).

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
Re: How much training to do for a long distance walk?
« Reply #1 on: 08:44:56, 15/08/18 »
Sounds good to me. Mind you I did it over 16 days. I walk and cycle in flattish Northants 3 -4miles weekdays and about 8-10 Saturday and Sunday. If you are used to walking 7 days in the Lakes you will be fine Yorkshire is comparatively easy once you've done the Lake District section. Enjoy it's an amazing experience.

Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:01:38, 15/08/18 »
10 miles in three hours.

I would give my eye teeth to be able to do that.

You obviously have enough strength physically to do the walk, but you need to understand that the mental will power to do up to ten hours a day for maybe thirteen days is also important.  It is what lets most people down. At some stage  you will want to pack it all in. It's the mind that gets you through those days. I just treat it like rain, something to be walked through until it clears up, but it can be hard on those days. Try and work out personal strategies that suit you and that helps your friend on their black days.

Too little, too late, too bad......

astaman

« Reply #3 on: 09:08:53, 15/08/18 »
Given your general level of fitness and activity it sounds to me like you'll be fine. One thing that your current range of activities might not be doing is conditioning your feet and ankles for the level of stress coming from the twisting or torque involved in walking long distances on rough ground so try to walk over uneven terrain whenever you can. Also, closer to the time, maybe try to find time to do walks of the sort of distance you're considering covering every day on consecutive days. Otherwise, I'd just walk as much as you can. It's a walk I've never done but it's on my list.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:29:44, 15/08/18 »
My answer isn't one I can recommend but it works for me.  I don't do any training but I walk one long distance walk a year of between 200-630 miles.  I am reasonably fit and over 70 but that is really just from swimming and gardening.  My body seems to accept that the first couple of days may be testing but after that it seems to know that if I walk at a particular pace then I won't suffer! Happy to start early in the morning if it is a long day but l look to finish by about 17.00 so that I can have a shower, a beer or two with my meal in a pub before getting off to bed fairly early.  The advice I was given at the start of my first LDP, the Pennine Way, was that it is your head and not your feet that will decide whether you complete it - I did!  To back this up when I "ran" my first London Marathon in 1982 I had only run 5 miles twice before. I was knackered by 8 miles but still completed it in just over four and a half hours, there was no doubt that it was my head that got me round - that is not to be recommended as I could hardly walk the next day and had to come down stairs backwards! 

By the look of your general fitness you should have no problem, just think as you walk about lunchtime or the pub in the evening and not that you have still have 100+ miles still to go.  Have fun, a really friendly walk with people from lots of different countries. O0

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:36:47, 15/08/18 »
Your fitness sounds fine. If it would put your mind at rest I’d triy to get a few weekends in - long walks on consecutive days - 15 or so miles both Saturday and Sunday.

However fit you are you’ll never know how your body will take to 10 days of walking until you do it.
« Last Edit: 08:03:05, 16/08/18 by Percy »

BlaBla

« Reply #6 on: 12:00:22, 15/08/18 »
Hello, this is the training program from the danish Makoni walkers
This prepares you for multi-day 30 mi + Long distance walking, around 4 mi/hr on level surfaces
makoni.dk/makoni-2016/traeningsprogram/traenings-forslag/
(The walking event from Copenhagen to Nijmegen (MArch KØbenhavn NIjmegen`/MAKONI 650 km in 11d) has been organized at 5 year intervals 2002-07-12 and 16, ahead of the Nijmegen 4 day marches (another 200 km). next Makoni 2021).
« Last Edit: 19:32:01, 15/08/18 by BlaBla »

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:02:08, 15/08/18 »
As others have said looks like your general fitness will be fine.  Like Percy has said we always aim to be able to do a couple of consecutive days a week or two before the walk of slightly higher mileage than our first two days on the LDP. (This is mainly because we don’t have any hills to practice on!) Even though you are using baggage transfer you will still have quite a heavy daypack so carry that on your practice walks.  Aim to get some hill practice in too if you can and one weekend a fortnight will probably be enough if you start early enough in the year!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:57:02, 15/08/18 »
General fitness is good but two things will stop you if it's going to happen.  Most LDWs are mental rather than physical challenges.  You will have tough times for whatever reason and you need to be able to deal with that. Second kit or associated failures.  You can be as fit as you like but if for example your boots give you blisters you'll have an issue, so you certainly need to get some longer walks in to make sure your kit is up to the task.

Also don't underestimate the pressures that doing the walk with someone else will bring. Ensure you have set guidelines so you've agreed what will happen if one wants to walk faster than the other, or start later, or stop more often etc etc.
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:54:07, 15/08/18 »
My two-penneth's worth is concentrate less on how fast you can cover the miles and more how long can you be on your feet, day after day.  10 miles in 3 hours would see you finishing each stage by lunchtime (or not long after). 

Although the gym work you're both doing sounds brilliant for your overall fitness, an hour's(?) session each time isn't really conditioning your feet to being walked on for any great length of time day after day. 

Of course, if you do a jobs that involves being on your feet all day then this might not be an issue for either of you.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:17:40, 15/08/18 »
Lots of good advice above all of which I agree with.
My additional suggestion would be to wear your boots as much as possible even if you are going for a walk which doesn't justify them.
« Last Edit: 19:31:00, 15/08/18 by Ridge »

dav

« Reply #11 on: 20:49:37, 15/08/18 »
Slogger replying as having to use this old alias due to login problems.
Scafell Pike in under 2 hours, pretty good, mind you from Wasdale Head I used to be up and down in 2.5 hours in my running days, and when leading a group of 10 on the national 3 peaks, we were up and down in the dark in just under 3 hours.
The C2C however shouldn't be a problem so long as you don't try and go at that speed, the majority usualy take 12 days over the route, I average 38 miles per day and get across in under 5 days, once under 4 days on a straighter line.
Of course things don't always go to plan no matter how well you prepare, my last two 5 day attempts ended just after Sunbiggin Tarn and Gunnerside respectively.
During one trip I met a couple of female nurses who had planned the trip some time before, done loads of walks, and then one had developed a bad ball of foot blister during the first day to Ennerdale Bridge and couldn't carry on. The other girl was upset, annoyed and desparing. They ended up spending a few days at her parents in Keswick before re-joining the route in Kirkby Stephen. Their walk already ruined and judging by how the girl with the blister was struggling again on the way to Keld, before I left them, I did wonder if she had to stop again and whether their friendship survived.

Binka

« Reply #12 on: 22:39:26, 15/08/18 »
Thank you for the replies, very helpful.

I think you’re all right that mental attitude will be the big thing.  And the advice to get some long days/hours walking to get used to being able to walk for ten hours is good.  Will definitely wear my boots as much as possible from now on.  I do walk the dog 3 miles most days so will wear them rather than my wellies for dog walking from now on.  Thanks.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 00:10:42, 16/08/18 »
Get your mate to do the same.
Too little, too late, too bad......

The Global Hobos

« Reply #14 on: 09:25:36, 29/09/18 »
Hi
We have walked over 5000 km in the last 12 months and believe that the most important training is consistency, walking everyday. When training we walking 5 to 10 km daily then do a 25-30 km walk on the weekend. It’s a bit of a time commitment but worthwhile have had no walking injuries in the last 12 months. Hope this helps. We are looking at doing the Coast to coast next year. If I can help in any way please email me
Regards
Tanya
The Global Hobos

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy