Author Topic: Trip Report Ben Nevis 9th April 2008  (Read 4386 times)

KellyLouise

Trip Report Ben Nevis 9th April 2008
« on: 18:58:50, 17/04/08 »
First things first, ive never done a trip report before so bear with me!

Second things Second... I made it to the top!!

We set out from our holiday cottage in thick fog and enjoyed the 30 minute drive full of anticipation to the visitors center. Parking the car we could not see the mountains just across the river, but decided to go ahead and start, with the hope of the fog clearing. Luckly within 30 mins it had started to clear, making the start of out walk, very beautiful and atmospheric.

It didnt take me very long to be all out of puff, and feeling the strain, and thinking i may have taken on more tha i was capable of. This was actually only the second long length walk i had done. However i perservered up the continuos uphill stone track...(taking pictures along the way!)

By the time that i was around 2 1/2 hours through the walk, we had reached snow and the only part of the path that was not uphill, and i had some major problems. An old hip injury had resurfaced and i was in alot of pain. Pain that was only to get worse as i approached the hardest part of the track. I took some painkillers, but as you will see in the pictures i started to struggle.

[imghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j271/kelzunique/rt.jpg]http://[/img]

However, determined that i had not come all this was for nothing, i made it to the top, (although i have to say im not quite sure how i made it back down again. By the time i reached the car i was unable to move my right hip, which made the drive back very interesting. here are my pictures from the top. Hope this report has been ok!!

"Thus, though we cannot make our sun stand still,
Yet we will make him run!"

www.facebook.com/fromawanderingmind

muymalestado

Re: Trip Report Ben Nevis 9th April 2008
« Reply #1 on: 19:29:57, 17/04/08 »
Well done, you've got nice pics to prove it.  Hope the whole holiday was good.
I think this next one will be the top ...

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:53:57, 17/04/08 »
Excellent.  There's only about 60 days a year you get a view from the summit so well done on that front too! How's the hip now? I find that poles help a lot with my creaking frame. Especially on descents.

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:56:05, 17/04/08 »
Its a cracker! Well done and congrats - I hope you've celebrated this success in a suitable fashion.  O0

Lorra snow up there isnt there? I like the pics - and  its quite useful to see recent pics of Ben Nevis to see what the conditions are like....

What's next on your list of hills to bag?
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

KellyLouise

« Reply #4 on: 21:02:02, 17/04/08 »
Thanks for the comments! There was shedloads of snow!!! And i was cursing it towards the end!  ???

The whole holiday was amazing! I'm gonna put a few of my favorite pics in the pictures section. We did a walk every day except thursday, for obvious reasons, and came home on the friday. My hip has now just about recovered and ive got a vigorous fitness plan sorted from next week to get me ready for the summer, when im gonna give nevis another go with my brother!  ;D

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:20:51, 17/04/08 »
Great report Kelly, brings back a few memories. I found the first but (elevator) the killer. Looks amazing in the snow, i maight have to return again this year if a get time.

greenman

« Reply #6 on: 13:00:40, 18/04/08 »
Great job, looks brill in the snow. :)
greenman

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:24:37, 22/04/08 »
Absolutley Brilliant report, and photo's....im so jealous, well done KL  O0
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

KellyLouise

« Reply #8 on: 08:53:57, 22/04/08 »
thanks darksky!

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:43:34, 22/04/08 »
 Great photos! Last time I climbed it in June 2001 it was clear until the last half mile and then it clouded and started to snow! Its quite a slog up that path,seems like it is never going to end.A good route is from the north along the ridge and up the steep boulder slope,but you do need quite a good head for heights as its a little exposed in places but the views of the north face are awesome.

kkm

« Reply #10 on: 09:48:08, 22/04/08 »
well done!!!! photo's are fab  O0

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:16:17, 23/04/08 »
Congratulation's Kelly.  The snow looks awesome...  Good report there...  and the pictures look every more challenging once again well done  O0
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy