Author Topic: Any hiking regrets?  (Read 2215 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Any hiking regrets?
« Reply #15 on: 11:33:55, 15/04/20 »
I have had a few, but then again, too few to mention

My regrets would be that I haven't walked more. To misquote, I haven't travelled each and every byway.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:00:42, 15/04/20 »
Life is too short for regrets. Sometime you miss a goal, there is always a reason why. Take each for what it is, accept that and set new goals.  O0

So to answer the OP no.  ;)

Edit:
One thing I now recall.  Back when I was a young apprentice TIFF on HMS Ajax.  I was selected at short notice, to join a joint expedition with an RAF team from Gibraltar, to climb the high Atlas Mountains in winter.  I had no climbing boots on board and standard issue boots won't take crampons.  I tired every shop in Gib but nothing to fit my feet.  I tried to get mine shipped, but not enough time.  I was then told, you can still come as far as base camp.  I withdrew at that point, a choice that I delivered on for some years afterwards, as it may have led on to other opportunities.  But no regrets. it was the right decision at the time. As a fit young lad, I needed to know/feel I could go all the way if asked and the wrong boots would have a stopped that.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:05:26, 15/04/20 »
Sad but true but I really do regret it.

I did learn from it though and since then, when exhaustion sets in, I know from personal experience that it's often not the best time to make important decisions. Nowadays, when I'm having an exhaustion day or any other 'down' day, I find a spot, erect my tent, get comfortable and just sleep, rest and blank off and wait for morning! I've found by doing this I'm less likely to give in to negative thoughts or to make stupid moves which I might regret later.

Pitboot

« Reply #18 on: 12:07:47, 15/04/20 »
A few life regrets but no hiking regrets, every moment was precious.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:30:53, 15/04/20 »
Life is far too short & precious to have regrets GWM. What’s happening in the world now should show you that.

If you felt weary & that led you to make the decision to do the shorter route, then it was most likely the right decision.
It’s simply about ‘acceptance’.
Accept the decision you made at the time & why you made it....& then move on. :)
I guess it depends what meaning you freight onto the word regret.

If asked I still regret the thing I posted up thread. But I hadn’t thought about it for years. So I seem to both regret it and have been able to move on.

I regret only buying 2 bottles of wine on Saturday. I haven’t move on from that.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:34:56, 15/04/20 »
I regret only buying 2 bottles of wine on Saturday. I haven’t move on from that.
You could drink to forget, but you would regret it in the morning.
Solvitur Ambulando

Warbler

« Reply #21 on: 15:45:56, 15/04/20 »
In the early 70's when I was 14 or 15, myself and a few mates walked the Cleveland Way. Other interests took hold after this, and it wasn't until about 10 years ago that I rediscovered hiking.

So that's 30+ years of regret.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:14:20, 15/04/20 »
You could drink to forget, but you would regret it in the morning.
;D

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:28:23, 15/04/20 »
Pitboot, I wouldn't dare to attempt to write up my life regrets!

Booga

« Reply #24 on: 16:39:55, 14/07/20 »
I regret that I didn't get into walking earlier in life!
There have also been times where I've looked at a map or somehow discovered that I've previously walked past something interesting and not known about it.

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #25 on: 22:55:11, 15/07/20 »
My only walking regret is not making time to do more.  Life work kids career seem to have gotten in the way for me a little, making a concious effort to start to do something about it this year.  Wont mention Covid and shielding ggrrrrrr
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 06:24:06, 16/07/20 »
Mt regret is putting weed and feed on my lawn before going off to walk the Camino Frances!

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #27 on: 13:22:24, 16/07/20 »
Mt regret is putting weed and feed on my lawn before going off to walk the Camino Frances!

Lol, love it.  Come back to a hay meadow 6 feet high i take it  :D
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy