Poll

So 100 mile socks (of various brands) are they worth it?

Yes
6 (50%)
No
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: 1000 mile socks. Worth it?  (Read 5546 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
1000 mile socks. Worth it?
« on: 22:36:37, 08/11/07 »
Having only recently tried these.

Definitely yes.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

titaniumdude

Re: 1000 mile socks. Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 23:32:58, 08/11/07 »
I used to love these.  Great blister prevention kit (nothing personal Mr Blister :)).  Have they changed them somewhat recently though.  Bought a couple of pairs and (dunno if it was the combination of new socks and new insoles) found that my foot was sliding forward too much in my boot so that on a downhill path my toes were banging against the front of my boot.  This was very uncomfortable.  Experimenting, I have found the perfect sock(s) for me to be bridgedale liners with bridgedale endurance hikes or smartwool hikers.  Not a single blister on the PW with this combination.

So I'll give them a thumbs up cos I've had some good use out of these before the above problem.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

locuschoi

« Reply #2 on: 23:55:14, 08/11/07 »
those socks makes my foot fit to my shoes..

so it is much easier to walk and I can avoid hurting from it.^^

it is more expensive but it is cost effective..
hi~ though I'm in Korea.. but I like walking so much
and want to be your friend

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:07:24, 09/11/07 »
Not tried these, so can't vote yes, I'm afraid.

I'm willing to be converted though, so let's have some brand names ..

I'm obviously doing something wrong.  My 'new' Johnscliffe boots, while fine for short walks (up to, say, 10 miles or so), tend to cause blisters on anything greater.  I'd be interested in these socks ..  ;)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:37:13, 09/11/07 »
I'm a recent convert, my walking mate bought two pairs and I tried one of them whilst we were in Yorkshire.

Definitely worth it, although there's lot sof different types so can be confusing.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

kkm

« Reply #5 on: 21:51:53, 09/11/07 »
after the amount of blisters i got on the pw, i'd be happy to try anything.........open to advice on socks. tried some seal skin ones as well which i found good, but  not totally waterproof on me, but hey, if i will fall in rivers upto my waist........

just to  note - my boots got binnedwhen i got back. i decided to go back to my old and faithfuls.....

titaniumdude

« Reply #6 on: 00:56:57, 10/11/07 »
after the amount of blisters i got on the pw, i'd be happy to try anything.........open to advice on socks. tried some seal skin ones as well which i found good, but  not totally waterproof on me, but hey, if i will fall in rivers upto my waist........

just to  note - my boots got binnedwhen i got back. i decided to go back to my old and faithfuls.....
There's a lot of experimenting with socks you can do  that can work out as an expensive 'hobby'.  Try the 1000 thingies, but the bridgedale combo I mentioned above is well tried and tested and works for me (not a single blister on the PW this year).
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

locuschoi

« Reply #7 on: 03:32:24, 10/11/07 »
if you want to avoid the blisters..

put a milk pack cut for the size of your shoes in shoes back..

it works..^^

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:11:31, 10/11/07 »
Lets just say, they were willing to sponser me on my walk......... O0 Until they relised is was actually walking a 1000 miles????????????????? :knuppel2: (1252 to be fair)

For me Brigdales and Xs as liners. Or white spirit and zinc tape  ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

kkm

« Reply #9 on: 23:12:11, 10/11/07 »
believe me when i say i'll be willing to try anything to avqid those blisters again.

will give your suggestion a go sumitzero - cheers!

locuschoi

« Reply #10 on: 13:26:05, 11/11/07 »
I cheer too.. ;D summitzero ^^

muymalestado

« Reply #11 on: 10:31:42, 14/11/07 »
How do you vote "medium" on this pole?

I wore them (thin, two layer black jobs) on 8 x 25k walks in 8 days in Spain without problem with the feet, but the socks developed 'runs'.  On their plus-side they dried out each day after a wash, and that is a must to reduce weight.

I cannot believe they would be wearable at 500 miles let alone 1000.
I think this next one will be the top ...

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:23:45, 14/11/07 »
The only thing I noticed about these are they slip at the front of you're foot as they have a liner in them.  Which to me doesn't work well  I have tried different socks as well and to be honest hear I do like the bridgedale both me and my partner like these he does have a combination of putting bridgedale txs I think and liners together were  me I just like the really think ones as I feel the cold a lot more but yeah bridgedale do it for me or a combo of two one liner and sock.  I now use my 1000 miles for work which are OK well at least they keep my feet warm.  And to be honest have worked well.  I have noticed that they stopped slipping at the front >:-/ 
« Last Edit: 12:32:39, 14/11/07 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:56:17, 14/11/07 »
Walkinggirl,

I've found they've actually reduced this for me. Multi layers is what I used to do and my feet slid more.

Well this weekend they'll be getting a serious workout, so the acid test as it were.
Dazza
--------

locuschoi

« Reply #14 on: 16:10:43, 20/11/07 »
blisters are made when your feet don't fixed in your shoes when you walk..

so wearing a thick socks will be helpful..^^

and wearing a soft coushioned shoes makes your feet comfortable and

don't make blisters because it's bottom is soft

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy