Author Topic: West coast?  (Read 2250 times)

Pitboot

West coast?
« on: 21:09:38, 02/12/19 »
It looks like I need to take some holiday in Feb and I think I would like to introduce Mrs P to Scotland. We both like walks on the coast so can anyone recommend locations with good beaches, dramatic scenery, hills nearby, and ideally a cottage or accommodation we can rent for a week?
I know there are lots of places that fit the bill but personal recommendations wold be most welcome. We live in Kendal so distance is not really a problem.
Not too sure about taking a ferry, I'm no sailor.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: West coast?
« Reply #1 on: 21:39:10, 02/12/19 »
We normally base ourselves in Shieldaig (the Torridon one, not the Gairloch Shieldaig). There is plenty of walking, both Munros and lower level walks. There are some good beaches on the Applecross peninsula (Sand has great views). There are also good beaches at Gairloch, Firemore near Poolewe and Mellon Udrigle  - the only east facing beach on the west coast (turn off at Laide). Just before getting to Mellon Udrigle is a walk to the abandoned village of Slaggan and its beach, which is likely to be deserted. The Shieldaig peninsula walk can have some great views and is not too difficult, with the chance of seeing eagles, deer and wild goats.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:18:23, 02/12/19 »
There are also some good easier walks from Applecross House and a walk to 2 ‘coral’ beaches staring from just after a right turn after Culduie on the Applecross to Toscaig road. We have seen otters, large numbers of seals and a big flock of swimming mergansers when walking here. From experience, I would try walk8ng between the 2 beaches along the shore. It is further than it looks and very rocky, with large, loose and slippery rocks. There is a path between the two father back from the shore. There is also Red Point beach at the mouth of Loch Torridon. This is quite a long walk in.

We have stayed at 2 different cottages in Shieldaig and 1 on the north coast of Loch Torridon. There are also cottages on Applecross.

Pitboot

« Reply #3 on: 22:26:10, 02/12/19 »
Thanks Mike, we will look into those suggestions. O0

Patrick1

« Reply #4 on: 10:31:14, 03/12/19 »
Torridon's a good suggestion, but the beaches mentioned at Applecross or Gairloch are both a fair drive away (getting on for an hour, maybe?).

An alternative spot to consider would be between Arisaig and Mallaig - famous for its beaches and sunset views across to the Small Isles and Skye. Plenty of mountains either by driving a short way back down the "road to the isles" towards the Glenfinnan viaduct - various munros can be accessed from there - or, if you're feeling adventurous, taking the foot ferry across to Knoydart and the big and remote mountains there.

Patrick1

« Reply #5 on: 10:52:16, 03/12/19 »
Just noticed the time of year you're suggesting. Obviously have no idea of your level of experience, but just thought it worth pointing out that certainly the bigger Scottish mountains have a reasonable chance of being in full "winter mode" in February, with the need for appropriate winter mountaineering skills. But maybe that's something you're fully aware of - maybe its even the reason you're going!

andybr

« Reply #6 on: 11:26:50, 03/12/19 »
We often go up to Assynt during the winter as there is a good mix of low and high level walking and it is easy to find a cottage in our preferred area around Lochinver. The weather is always going to be a gamble but we generally get as many good days as bad. One thing to be careful of is having to drive in the dark at this time of year. There are huge numbers of deer on the roads at night and caution is needed.

Pitboot

« Reply #7 on: 16:48:18, 03/12/19 »
I'm fully aware of winter risks, thanks, see my profile picture. I learned to drive a car in a German winter, snow and temps down to -25C. I would not place myself knowingly at risk and always go properly equipped for likely conditions. Scotland in February is not new to me as I have attended various joint services winter courses at Ballater and Ballachulish, and Glencoe.
Just fancy a week away from the Lakes somewhere that the wife and I have often discussed but the opportunity to escape has not arisen before.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:49:43, 04/12/19 »
Some good low level walks in the Assynt area, both coastal and inland. And the hills are amazing, despite their modest height. Suilven, Quinaig, Cul Mor.....

The Stoer peninsula walk is particularly fine, as are the beaches at Achnahaird and Achmelvich.

And do check out the pie shop in Lochinver!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy