Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276241 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1005 on: 17:38:42, 26/02/20 »
Kentmere Pike and Harter Fell in full on winter conditions. Some of the toughest snow conditions that I have ever encountered. Epic.

Knackered!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1006 on: 17:51:41, 26/02/20 »
We could do with a bit winter round here!  Last time I wore snowshoes was to go to the shops during the Beast from the East.  A trip up and along the ridge South from Cross Fell on the PW or along Maize Beck from Great Rundale Tarn to High Cup Nick in full on winter with snowshoes is great fun.  The ridge would also be great on skis.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1007 on: 19:20:24, 26/02/20 »
I noticed that the northern Pennines didn't seem to have that much snow on them, which I thought a bit strange, given that the Lakes fells were plastered.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1008 on: 20:16:54, 26/02/20 »
We had a few inches of snow in inland Aberdeenshire on Monday. This made for a tricky drive home from work, but the mountains look good.

Yorci

« Reply #1009 on: 20:54:45, 26/02/20 »
Unfortunately this week I'm working, but I did manage to get out last week for a wee bimble around Wharram Percy Wold and Burdale Tunnel, then to Thixendale. Had a bit of sleet and rain on the way out of Thixendale. But not an unpleasant easy walk.
Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1010 on: 21:39:21, 26/02/20 »
What is this snow you all speak of?
Is it the same as something called sunshine, have hear it happens the other side of the Tamar, but don't believe it.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1011 on: 22:32:53, 26/02/20 »
After the snow, we have had several days of blue skies and sunshine. Last weekend was a mixture of blizzards followed almost immediately by clear blue skies, without a cloud in sight. This has been an unusually dry winter, with little snow. We have had some cold temperatures and strong winds, but nothing like the west coast. People will be flocking to Aberdeenshire for its climate next.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1012 on: 08:03:23, 27/02/20 »
This has been an unusually dry winter, with little snow. We have had some cold temperatures and strong winds, but nothing like the west coast. People will be flocking to Aberdeenshire for its climate next.

Dry winter? You must be in the only part of the country that is dry. Wet and mild would be my description. Please send your dryness in a southward direction and you can have my rain in return. Fair exchange ;D
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Little Foot

« Reply #1013 on: 08:34:20, 27/02/20 »
Forgot to post about my jaunt last Friday. My son and I walked from South Cave to Market Weighton which was about 11.5m. We were very lucky with the weather in that it didn't rain and that the wind wasn't fully against us.

We weren't very lucky with wildlife spotting which is a bit disappointing as it was one of the ways I coaxed my son out, the fact we would see between the bare trees and maybe spot deer. We only saw a live bird of prey. I figured it'd be a kestrel, but I watched an Abbie Barnes video of her at the same spot saying she'd seen buzzards, so perhaps it was one of those. The only other animals we spotted were dead ones. A roadkill pheasant and dead partridge that had only the fleshy parts of its breast eaten by an animal. My son didn't like that at all. I might remind him of it when we tuck into the chicken crown tonight.  ;D

The earlier part of the walk went through a valley which would be lovely in spring. I will return with my dog later in the year. The rest of the walk was mainly farmers fields with limited views really. I'm looking forward to the next stage though.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1014 on: 08:53:34, 27/02/20 »
Walked from Penzance to Mousehole and back yesterday.
Was pretty quick as it was on pavements, but the wind was behind me on the way out, then swung around to the SW for the journey back.  Calm sea and hardly any rain for a change.  Good way to walk nearly 7 miles and kill two hours.
Robbed for £2.50 for half a cup of undrinkable coffee.
Do we have a thread of good and bad cafes?

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1015 on: 10:35:05, 27/02/20 »
There's been white stuff falling out of the sky down here this morning, the first I've seen this winter, not settling fortunately. Today was my second choice of day for a walk after the earlier one got postponed due to the weather.  :(

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1016 on: 10:47:07, 27/02/20 »
We only saw a live bird of prey. I figured it'd be a kestrel, but I watched an Abbie Barnes video of her at the same spot saying she'd seen buzzards, so perhaps it was one of those.

If it helps you, a buzzard has big, broad, rounded wings and tends to soar in the sky while a kestrel is a much smaller bird with slender wings and a noticeably long, narrow tail, and is often seen hovering in one spot.

Little Foot

« Reply #1017 on: 11:08:28, 27/02/20 »
If it helps you, a buzzard has big, broad, rounded wings and tends to soar in the sky while a kestrel is a much smaller bird with slender wings and a noticeably long, narrow tail, and is often seen hovering in one spot.

Well that settles it then, it was a kestrel. I wasn't sure if buzzards hunted the same way, by hovering. Glad I got that right lol. Thanks for the info.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1018 on: 14:10:55, 27/02/20 »
We went for our usual walk round the Devon lanes today as the footpaths are still impassable in anything less than waders.  On the plus side, this means we can walk in shoes rather boots.  At the highest point of the route we came across this:

This what, in layman's terms, we call a show stopper
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1019 on: 14:24:45, 27/02/20 »
We went for our usual walk round the Devon lanes today as the footpaths are still impassable in anything less than waders.  On the plus side, this means we can walk in shoes rather boots.  At the highest point of the route we came across this:

This what, in layman's terms, we call a show stopper
Had the same problem.

But should be OK tomorrow at the same time.
https://ibb.co/n6KMcNP

Penzance to Marazion, along the coast path, an easy, but cold on the way back, 7 miles, and a much better coffee, for less money, half way.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy