Author Topic: Recommended Campsite?  (Read 6642 times)

Dave Wood

Recommended Campsite?
« on: 22:43:03, 04/06/08 »
I am planning my first ever trip to Snowdonia next month where I intend to take in the delights of Crib Goch, Tryfan, Glyder Fawr etc. Can anyone recommend a campsite to use as a base for day walks that will give fairly easy access to this area and ....(this is important)..... is within staggering distance to a decent pub serving Guinness and good grub?

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
Re: Recommended Campsite?
« Reply #1 on: 10:44:52, 05/06/08 »
If you mean within walking distance, this might not be easy. The closest to pubs was Riverside Camping in the centre of Betws-y-Coed, but I was in the area about 3 wks ago when I saw a sign at the end of the road to the site, saying it was closed for renovation. There's another camp site on the western end of the village but I've never used it.

I very highly recommend Rynys Farm as a camp site, £5 per person per night, it's off the A5 near Conway Falls but this is about 2.5 miles south of Betws-y-Coed and there's nothing near the site.  There are 3 pubs in the village - I thought the food portions at The Stables were a bit small, the Pont-y-pair looked a bit pricey and I haven't tried the 3rd one at the other end. I don't know whether any of them do Guinness, don't like it myself, but generally speaking the choice of beer in North Wales pubs is very limited.

There's a big Wetherspoons in Llandudno, might serve Guiness, and the food could be worse, but there are no camp sites close. I drive there from Conwy Touring Park, it is inexpensive, has lots of facilities, but they make everyone use numbered pitches which can get rather muddy. It is on the B5106 about 2.5 miles south of Conwy.

The other one I can think of is the Forest Enterprise site off the main road 1.5 miles north of Beddgelert. The site has good facilities, but is a bit pricey and can get crowded. The village has 3 pubs which do meals. Once again, I don't know about Guinness.

Check out the sites at www.ukcampsite.co.uk which has user reviews.

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #2 on: 14:32:12, 06/06/08 »
I've booked myself in here:

http://www.gwynant.com/

for the end of June.

Centraly positioned, seems quite laid back, by the river... I'll report back after the stay... they let you have an open fire, that's what sold it to me.
Any Moel's a goal.

Mozz

« Reply #3 on: 19:55:37, 15/06/08 »
Being local and having just finished the 15 peaks, you need the campsite in Nant Peris (3 mls south of Llanberis). You can see Crib Goch & Snowdon from the site and also the Vaynol Arms which is literally over the road, serving Guinness and 2 or 3 real ales plus food. £4/night & no need to book, basic but watch the midges! The Glyderau are accessible from here, including Tryfan but would be a long day if walking from the site. Easier to drive around to the Ogwen valley - about 25 mins.

Enjoy yourself

Hwyl

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 09:27:19, 16/06/08 »
I know it's not camping, but I'd go for the additional comforts of the YHA at Pen y Pass.    It rests under the Glyders, with Snowdon accessible simply by crossing the road, so either of these can be reached without getting in  your car.   Tryfan is too as long as you don't mind getting there via the Glyders.   You can go up Snowdon by either the Pyg track or the Miners' track from here and of course Crib Goch is very accessible, again without getting into your car.

Pen y Pass is also one of the more civilised hostels in that it's not just licenced, but also has a bar and a restaurant.   When I stayed there both the beer and the food was good.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy