Author Topic: Sleeping mats- fold or roll?  (Read 1659 times)

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping mats- fold or roll?
« Reply #15 on: 18:53:02, 24/04/20 »
I always fold & roll my NeoAir mattresses in exactly the same way as they came when I bought them and they seem to survive well that way. The way I pack my backpack, there is not really much space to win folding them in a different way.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Pitboot

« Reply #16 on: 19:13:31, 24/04/20 »
I think that the OP is worried that by folding his mat, rather than storing it the way it came from the factory/shop, would in some way damage it over the long term. I would argue that so long as you don't over stress joints and welds in the plastic it does not really matter how it is stored. If you are concerned just fold it in as many different ways as possible, and have a small repair kit handy.
I have a Thermarest that is kept rolled in my pack, but it very often got folded, stuffed, scrunched, and generally mistreated and it's still going strong.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:09:35, 24/04/20 »
I think that the OP is worried that by folding his mat, rather than storing it the way it came from the factory/shop, would in some way damage it over the long term. I would argue that so long as you don't over stress joints and welds in the plastic it does not really matter how it is stored. If you are concerned just fold it in as many different ways as possible, and have a small repair kit handy.
I have a Thermarest that is kept rolled in my pack, but it very often got folded, stuffed, scrunched, and generally mistreated and it's still going strong.
Not worried as such, just curious, too much time on my hands at the moment and youtube has a lot to answer for.    Some interesting videos on long distance hiking, the kit carried and how to pack it.  Not really interested in the ultralight stuff, but have had several ideas or rethinks on how better to pack my equipmentmy bag.  I can't see me ever having to do it myself but it was interesting to see the thermarest packed flat rather than rolled, was just interested to think whether there would be any damage caused over time from packing it this way.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy