Author Topic: WHW Inveroran to Kinlochleven  (Read 3592 times)

RuthW

WHW Inveroran to Kinlochleven
« on: 18:18:56, 23/01/18 »
Hi, I am looking at doing the WHW in summer. It is looking very much as if Kingshouse will be closed for the forseeable future, so I am considering walking from Inveroran to Kinlochleven in one go.
I'm a middle-aged (female!), reasonably fit walker, although not impressively so. I can comfortably do a few consecutive days of 14-16 Pennine Way miles. So I think I am able to do the 18-20 miles needed. However, what I am wondering is will it be such a long slog that I will not be able to enjoy it? I know that's a bit of an imponderable, depending on plenty of other factors, but I'd welcome your experiences.

The alternatives are obviously to get transport down the valley to Glencoe, or to stay in a lodge at the ski resort, but I don't like the idea of worrying about transport (reassure me?) and the lodge would be expensive for one person (although I'm not necessarily on a tight budget).
Opinions welcome!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: WHW Inveroran to Kinlochleven
« Reply #1 on: 18:34:29, 23/01/18 »
my advice would be to get a bus from the main road near the Ski Centre and take it to Tyndrum. In Tyndrum there is a place called Bytheway which has a few Camping Cabins. For 1 person it was around £25 for the night to have the cabin to yourself. Pretty basic, a bunk bed, heater and plugs for the electricity but there is also a shower block and kitchen if you want to cook your own food (shop in village).

Then get the bus back next day (about 8:30am)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:46:16, 23/01/18 »

I think Bricam has the best solution.  That bus is pretty reliable, go onto the Scottish Citylink website for timetables.  If you book it ahead they will be looking out for you, and you can be reassured that it won't be full. 
As well as camping cabins Tyndrum has b&bs, a pub, a couple of hotels and an excellent café, or 10 minutes further along Crianlarich has hotels, b&bs and a youth hostel.  Depending on where you are staying the night before, you could maybe book 2 nights in the same place and carry a bit less that day.
I think the bunkhouse at the Kingshouse is still open, I know I spoke to someone who stayed there last year and spoke highly of it.
Otherwise, get up early and go for the long day!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:18:26, 23/01/18 »
The Bunkhouse at Kingshouse has now also closed as has the cafe. I contacted them last week to ask about the cafe and they replied with that info. Bytheway in Tyndrum also has a bunkhouse and campsite as well as camping cabins.

I'm starting the WHW on Sunday so was looking to drop in for a snack on my way instead of the slight detour to the Ski Centre.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:22:54, 23/01/18 »
That's a shame.  It makes quite an accommodation gap on the route.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:06:58, 23/01/18 »
That's a shame.  It makes quite an accommodation gap on the route.

Usually I walk from Bridge of Orchy to Kinlochleven so don't need the accommodation but I know how popular it was. No idea how long it will take to renovate the Hotel but I get the feeling that it won't ever be the same....sadly.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:08:11, 23/01/18 »
As far as I know the Kingshouse bunk house will be open on or B4 Easter. Re-getting the bus back to Tyndrum. Glencoe village with accomm is nearer; same bus route obviously. If your fitness is ok, then Inveroran to K'leven should be ok to do in a day.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:14:05, 23/01/18 »
The owners of the Kings House hotel, Black Corries estate, await planning permission for their development plans.
If granted, looks like it will be quite an upmarket hotel. The 'modern' part of the current hotel has been demolished,
planning permission granted for that. Certainly won't be open this year.............

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:26:13, 23/01/18 »
As far as I know the Kingshouse bunk house will be open on or B4 Easter. Re-getting the bus back to Tyndrum. Glencoe village with accomm is nearer; same bus route obviously. If your fitness is ok, then Inveroran to K'leven should be ok to do in a day.

The email I got from the Manager this week says.... "We will re open the Hotel and Bunkhouse,  when The Hotel is re developed"

By what you say Bill, that could be a while and certainly a pain for WHW walkers who don't know about local villages and transport options.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

RuthW

« Reply #9 on: 22:29:46, 23/01/18 »
Thank you for your informative and knowledgeable replies. I hadn't realised you could book the bus - I heard you had to wave at the driver (what if he doesn't stop? Another 2 hours?) but that might be more reassuring! I hate feeling that I am not in control!
I'm still um-ing and ah-ing.
The extra stop is appealing, so that I am not pushing myself and can take the time to enjoy it.
How early would you advise booking? If there's a possilbilty of the bunkhouse reopening by Easter, I could hang on to make the decision - or book the SYHA and cancel if circumstances change! Just seen bricam's reply above - that's what I had heard too.
Can you see me thinking as I type???

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 05:59:25, 24/01/18 »
Perhaps Blackrock Cottage...Ladies Scottish Moutaineering Club cottage would be worth considering?
Situated between the Ski area start and the road to Glencoe that you have to cross etc.
On Line booking and all of that.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:40:10, 24/01/18 »

The WHW gets very busy in the summer, I would book sooner rather than later.  Having said that, I can usually get into Crianlarich YHA as long as it isn't a weekend, booking a few days before.
I use that bus regularly (being the proud possessor of a Scottish bus pass I can go all the way from Skye to Glasgow for free!) and always book.  In the summer it can fill up. You can book online on the Scottish Citylink website, or by phone.  Or if you are passing Buchanan Street bus station on your way to Milngavie book it there.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:36:07, 24/01/18 »
When I was late middle aged (now officially old :() we walked from Bridge of Orchy to Kinlochleven without any problem.
We had booked into Kingshouse but as the weather was poor had walked faster so arrived at lunchtime and it seemed too soon to stop. Even in those days I was only a 10-15 miler normally.
As you are going in the summer there will be plenty of daylight and if you're booked ahead no worries about accommodation.
Hope you enjoy the walk. I won't mention the M word >:(
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

rambling minster

« Reply #13 on: 12:22:13, 24/01/18 »
i did this stage over two days in 2010 with a stop at Kings House Hotel, but i don't recall them being long, hard days (even though it was raining), so i imagine that they can be done on one go without too much trouble

It all depends on the fitness of the individual walker, I suppose, but if you've done a few days on the Pennine Way then i should think it would be ok.

scottk

« Reply #14 on: 14:55:08, 19/02/18 »
I stayed at the mountain resort but I was camping. The lodges looked ok but were about £50 night-good if there are a few of you. The bar was very busy and a great atmosphere.
The walk to Kinlochleven would be ok I think. The stage across Rannoch is fairly level and you don't really notice the gradient but it is quite hard on your feet. Coming down past the mountain resort to Kingshouse was, I found, harder as its downhill on a tarred road. From there until the Devils Staircase is pretty much tarred and I was pretty sick of roads by that point! The climb up is not difficult and then there is a long path down and back up until the final steep descent to Kinlochleven when I was very glad to have walking poles. To give you an idea, my time for the section from Kingshouse to Kinlochleven was 3 hours and I wasn't going fast. Had a great bacon roll and coffee at the ice factor before moving on.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy