Author Topic: Sponsored Paths?  (Read 2881 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Sponsored Paths?
« on: 13:08:09, 22/03/18 »
Same story?  Different Views

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43475030

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/03/22/historic-walking-trails-prime-sponsorship-says-natural-england/

The latter link requires an account to read the full story but the gist is that 13 National Trails could be sponsored by business perhaps in  return for a company logo incorporated into the path signage.  The McDonald's Ridgeway anyone? The Irn Bru West Highland Way?

(I thought about adding the text of the article but I think the forum may be done for a copyright infringement)

Solvitur Ambulando

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Sponsored Paths?
« Reply #1 on: 10:35:03, 23/03/18 »
What would the money go towards? Would it really help maintain paths?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:19:37, 23/03/18 »
What would the money go towards? Would it really help maintain paths?
I think that was the idea Natural England were looking at. Company donates money towards path maintenance in return for logo on sign posts.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:47:21, 23/03/18 »
There was something about this on BBC Breakfast yesterday.  The impression I got was that landowners may be given a "pot" of money specifically to keep RoWs maintained or create new ones.  The perk would be they could put their name/logo to it.

I'm assuming (if I understood right) that the "pot" of money would be auditable and the recipient would have to show it had been spent on improving the RoWs and not their new car  ;D

Tin

« Reply #4 on: 19:09:31, 23/03/18 »
There was something about this on BBC Breakfast yesterday.  The impression I got was that landowners may be given a "pot" of money specifically to keep RoWs maintained or create new ones.  The perk would be they could put their name/logo to it.

I'm assuming (if I understood right) that the "pot" of money would be auditable and the recipient would have to show it had been spent on improving the RoWs and not their new car  ;D

I'd would say it is the landowners duty to maintain the right of ways on their land, without getting extra cash to do what they should be doing anyway.

Edit: Hit post too quickly.

Maggot

« Reply #5 on: 18:02:33, 24/03/18 »
We have already got sponsored paths, The Butcombe Trail , is across the Mendips and sponsored by a local brewery.  I bet a couple of minutes on Google would find us more in a few minutes.

If companies putting their names to paths encourages more people to get out and walking outside, then that's all good isn't it?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy