Author Topic: Shetland Finished as a Wilderness Destination  (Read 2969 times)

watershed

Re: Shetland Finished as a Wilderness Destination
« Reply #15 on: 20:15:06, 27/07/20 »
Thank you April, unfortunately it seems nothing can be done now.
The whole process was corrupt from start to finish.
All is to be built on an active Carbon sink.
The process that they went through is very well explained in the link to the presentation Jame Mackenzie gave to a planning in democracy meeting in Glasgow in 2015. He is the vice Chairman of Sustainable Shetland which helped coordinate objections to the development. Unlike the Developers he is a genuine Green.

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2020/07/13/letters-its-breaking-my-heart/

They started digging before getting the go ahead from Ofgem. Sadly I can't even encourage you to come next year if/when travel restrictions clear, because the damage will already be done and you will be wasting your money.

I fear they will have started a new version of the highland clearances here.
Incredible the damage a few greedy people can do by working the system and exploiting the grants and subsidy systems.
Very Sad

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:35:17, 27/07/20 »
I fear that the rush to become “Carbon neutral” by building ever larger wind farms will cause as much damage as it alleviates. As in most planning applications the initial planning is just a Trojan Horse for a much bigger later development. Clashindarroch Forest currently has 18x 2MW turbines and phase 2 wants to add 14x 6MW turbines with a blade tip height of 180m. This is one of the few areas where wildcats still live and I am not sure that I would put my trust in the environmental assessments and hazard management plans that are meant to protect them.

Let’s all save the environment by destroying it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:30:52, 28/07/20 »
From your comments, I Absolutely Understand where you are coming from.

Having seen them I could have advised that Shetland would definitely not be a place for you to visit.

Blackpool is meant to be quite a nice visit, well signposted, not to far from Wales, and have arcades and fun fairs for the kids.

The walking is quite easy too.

I gather they also sell some nice resin figures for the mantle piece as well:) 

In fact the Tower is almost exactly the same height as the 100 pus windmills that are coming here.

Gosh that might attract you back!

I agree that Orkney is a great place to visit though, and it would take a long time to visit all of its 50 plus Brochs and 3000 Neolithic sites.

I know that as I haven't really scratched the surface of Shetlands 80 plus Brochs or 5000 Neolithic sites.

Priceless post!  ;D ;D ;D O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:30:33, 21/08/20 »
I fear that the rush to become “Carbon neutral” by building ever larger wind farms will cause as much damage as it alleviates. As in most planning applications the initial planning is just a Trojan Horse for a much bigger later development. Clashindarroch Forest currently has 18x 2MW turbines and phase 2 wants to add 14x 6MW turbines with a blade tip height of 180m. This is one of the few areas where wildcats still live and I am not sure that I would put my trust in the environmental assessments and hazard management plans that are meant to protect them.

Let’s all save the environment by destroying it.

Precisely.  It's always surprising that the SNP are not hit harder when it comes to their policy on exploiting these wild spaces.  I've walked through mile after mile of these 'national paradise' areas which seem now to be covered in access tracks, turbines and scoured land.  Presumably if it can be converted into a revenue stream the landowners will do it, and under the guise of 'eco sustainability'.   Well, what of the sustainable existence of these wild places?  It seems quite the oversight, or likely intentionally so.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy