Author Topic: Hadrian's Wall - Inspired or stupid?  (Read 3739 times)

Waldini

Hadrian's Wall - Inspired or stupid?
« on: 09:50:43, 04/08/20 »
Hi!

I have recently taken up walking for fun. I am lucky enough to live near a canal so have started walking down it fairly regularly, ambling along and feeding the ducks. I sometimes get the train and walk back home from different stations. It's all good fun.

I would like to walk (I've booked accomodation for one night so I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this) the Hadrian's Wall Path in a couple of weeks. West-to-East. I've booked a night in Carlisle but want to camp for a couple of nights. I've got a lightweight, fairly cheap tent with a Hydrostatic head of 2000mm, a quality backpack and excellent boots.

I reckon 15 miles a day (ish) is managable for a relative novice. I have walked this distance a few times already, albeit not five days in a row. I would really like help in looking for good campsites along the way.

Thanks in advance.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Re: Hadrian's Wall - Inspired or stupid?
« Reply #1 on: 10:23:52, 04/08/20 »

If you've never been to Hadrians Wall, your in for a surprise!

I was up there yesterday in lovely weather attempting a wee stroll.

It's a very popular walk, camping_hadrianswall.php

Just thought most people I've met on this walk find accommodation, guy I met yesterday said he was pleasantly surprised how quiet the walk was, but getting accommodation wasn't easy!

It will be totally inspiring!
« Last Edit: 12:11:41, 04/08/20 by Dodgylegs »

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:33:26, 04/08/20 »
Excellent idea! I've only walked parts of it as day-walks, but it is a wonderful walk and easy to camp along the way.

One warning though if you are new to walking with a backpack: You say that you have walked 15 miles before, but it is not clear to me if you were carrying a heavy(ish) backback with several days food and camping gear or not. This really makes a big difference, compared to walking with a small daypack, because your pose is different and you are using different muscles. Don't underestimate that.

It is going to be a wonderful walk, enjoy!

My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:46:12, 04/08/20 »

I took this picture in 2011. Good weather on the Roman side, bad weather on the barbarian side :)
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:05:07, 04/08/20 »
It's a route well worth doing, especially if you have any interest in the history - although there will be difficulty in finding good camp spots around some of the sections and you may need to put your tent up last thing before dusk and move on early.  Not sure as to the situation of many of the camp sites being open at the moment, I'd suggest some web searching and giving them a call before you begin the walk.

On the upside I'm expecting quite a few of the pubs to be open at this point in the summer so you can likely get a few decent meals as well as take advantage of the government scheme this month.  The real interest is in the centre section so try not to blaze your way through this and enjoy the scenery.

Waldini

« Reply #5 on: 13:30:08, 04/08/20 »

I'm a history teacher who likes walking. Win!I've booked a room in Carlisle but will camp the other 4 nights. I'm waiting to hear back from Quarry Side (Banks), and Winshields near Bardon Mill.
I have booked Fallowfield Dene in Acomb and High Hermitage near Prudhoe for days 4 and 5 respectively. Meeting a friend in Wallsend than then getting a v late coach back down to Milton Keynes.

Also got my train and coach tickets. I'm doing it!  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:38:54, 04/08/20 »
If you have not done so before, and have some time before your walk, get in a couple of non-flat 15 mile days back to back carrying your kit just to reassure yourself that you will be OK.

Waldini

« Reply #7 on: 13:47:41, 04/08/20 »
If you have not done so before, and have some time before your walk, get in a couple of non-flat 15 mile days back to back carrying your kit just to reassure yourself that you will be OK.

This is fantastic advice. I should also work out how much food and water I need. Thank you.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:48:59, 04/08/20 »
To state the obvious, walking alongside a canal is not the same as walking up and down beside Hadrian's Wall with a rucksack.
« Last Edit: 14:15:22, 04/08/20 by harland »

Waldini

« Reply #9 on: 14:13:36, 04/08/20 »
To state the obvious, walking alongside a canal is not the same as walking up and down beside Hadrian's Hall with a rucksack.

Fewer ducks?

Hopefully giving myself 6 days means that I am not overdoing it. Finger's crossed!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:49:13, 04/08/20 »
I suggest you trawl around the forum to look at some of the kit lists esp wild walking's blog to see the essentials but also how little you really need to be carrying.

Have fun :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:36:53, 04/08/20 »
Wild camping is not really the "done thing" along the wall, although people do wild camp it. Using the campsites would be my choice for accommodation if I was doing the wall path so I hope you get booked in. The middle bit is the hardest with the ups and downs the start and end are easier. Good luck and we want pics!
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:56:43, 04/08/20 »
Good luck with your walk - but I'm not sure about the suitability of Hadrian's Wall for wild camping - you'll have to be very discreet, I suspect, given the current climate.

Also, if your tent is new, try to get out for a night or two beforehand, just for the practice, both in carrying 10kg+ and in pitching and living in the tent.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Waldini

« Reply #13 on: 10:20:12, 05/08/20 »
Thanks people, this is all good advice. I was going to ask about 'wild camping' - the Gospel according to St. Google told me that this was illegal, but I wondered if it was tolerated... I am a bit of a stickler for rules though, and am happy to report that I am fully booked in everywhere. No walks longer than 15 miles a day, plenty of time to amble along and look around. I will pitch my tent tonight and sleep in it for the experience (my standard festival tent is a full-size VW replica and not something I want to carry around!) and attach it to my backpack for more practice of walking.

Currently researching food options - once I leave Carlisle I may be limited on what I can buy (I'm vegan, obviously I have to tell you ;) )

I'm not taking a cooker so it will be lots of dry stuff. Water at every campsite - late August - should be plenty of walkers around - I'll be fine. I'm looking forward to this.  

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:49:16, 05/08/20 »
Currently researching food options - once I leave Carlisle I may be limited on what I can buy (I'm vegan, obviously I have to tell you ;) )

I am vegan too so you obviously have to tell everyone  ;) ;D

When you say no cooker will you have access to boiling water? We don't "cook" when we go camping just rehydrate food. We have vegan noodle bol using these.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/tinned-meals/granose-soya-mince/910002482226

https://groceries.asda.com/product/recipe-mixes/colmans-spaghetti-bolognese-recipe-mix/910000455345

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300455826

The noodles we buy are 14p and in a packet, can't find them on Tesco website but they are the same make. 1 packet of mince and sauce feeds both of us, don't use the curry powder sachet in the noodles, pour on boiling water wait about 10 mins, noodles take 5 to soften, drain the noodles, that is it. We take nuts, homemade banana bread, flapjack etc too. Peanut butter would be a good option because it doesn't go off.

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy