Author Topic: TR - Itchen Way from Winchester  (Read 1039 times)

Warbler

TR - Itchen Way from Winchester
« on: 17:14:06, 04/08/20 »
I took a train to Winchester yesterday. Well, 2 trains actually. It was my first use of public transport since March. The first one was on a local line into Southampton Central, on which I had a carriage to myself. The second was very different. This was on the mainline to London Waterloo, and consequently very busy indeed. I stood near the doors and away from the masses. It was only a 15 minute ride, but I was glad to get out at Winchester.

The plan was to walk home, mainly along the Itchen Way, following……….the River Itchen.

The Itchen Way is a 31 mile long path from it’s source near Cheriton, to Woolston, Southampton where it flows into Southampton Water. I was covering the second half of the trail.

First up was the touristy bits in Winchester.

Winchester Cathedral with a war memorial to the right

King Alfred

And so onto the Itchen Way. There were a lot of people about, which is to be expected while basically still in Winchester, but a nice stroll on a lovely day.

Moving away from the city the path becomes more rural, but that didn’t mean there was a reduction in the footfall. It was still very busy, and the narrowness of the path didn’t help with distancing. Progress was slow at times with having to step aside to allow large groups to pass.

There were some lovely houses and cottages along the riverbank on this section of the walk. By the time the owner had finished mowing this lawn it would be time to start again.

I think this swan was following me. It’s the same one from the previous photo…….a testament to my slow progress.

I sat and had a snack rest just above the weir with my bare feet dangling in the water…….bliss. However, I didn’t stay long as there was a group of about ten young lads turned up and started jumping in and out of the river only about 50 yards downstream. They come here, all happy and enjoying themselves……how dare they? :o

Climb or crawl? I chose the former.

Shortly after passing beneath the thunderously noisy M27 I entered Riverside Park, a large open green space in Southampton, and not surprisingly, lots of joggers, dog walkers, cyclists, skateboarders etc.

Ahh, the smell of seaweed, the squawking of seagulls, and the vociferous arguments of an Eastern European family………….nearly home then.

I ended my walk here and caught another local train home. I didn’t have my own carriage this time but there was still plenty of space.

It really is a lovely riverside walk on a nice summer’s day, and it's been on my "to do" list for a long time. But………it was far too busy for my liking. Literally hundreds of people about.

Thanks for viewing.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Itchen Way from Winchester
« Reply #1 on: 18:22:24, 04/08/20 »
That looks smashing  :)   Bits of all sorts and grand weather, what's not to like? 

I think I'd have gone under the fallen tree.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:26:50, 04/08/20 »
Lovely pics Warbler  O0

I would go over the tree, like you did  :D
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:33:24, 04/08/20 »
Great photos    :)    Love riverside walks

I'd probably have gone under the tree    :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:41:11, 04/08/20 »
Lovely pics.
Another vote or over the tree.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:18:39, 05/08/20 »
That brings back memories. I first walked the Itchen Navigation fro Riverside Park to central Winchester as a Scout in the 1970s. It was much quieter then.  I remember walking on the carriageway of the newly completed, but not yet open, M27. The M3 had also not been built back then, but the A33 was still busy. We made a short detour outside Winchester up St Catherine’s Hill which has the remains of an Iron Age hill fort. I repeated the walk a few times over the years and always enjoyed it, even the time when parts of the path were inundated or breached with water flowing between the river and the navigation canal. The Itchen is a good river to walk beside once you get away from the city. I have also walked parts of it further north on the Wayfarers Walk.

My parents have lived in Woolston for over 50 years.

Warbler

« Reply #6 on: 15:27:34, 06/08/20 »
That looks smashing  :)   Bits of all sorts and grand weather, what's not to like?

I think I'd have gone under the fallen tree.

Cheers Mel.

".....what's not to like?"...……………….only the ridiculously high numbers of people on the path, mainly at points where a road crosses the river and gives access to the path, and there are lots of those. I saw a lot more humans splashing about in the river than I did wildlife.  ???

Apart from that it was great  :)

Lovely pics Warbler  O0

I would go over the tree, like you did  :D

Cheers April.

It was a close call for me. It was predominantly my dignity that swung it  ;D

2 - 1 to the climbers.

Great photos    :)    Love riverside walks

I'd probably have gone under the tree    :)

Thanks Dovegirl.

That's 2 - 2.

Lovely pics.
Another vote or over the tree.

Cheers Ridge.

Climbers take the lead, 3 - 2

That brings back memories. I first walked the Itchen Navigation fro Riverside Park to central Winchester as a Scout in the 1970s. It was much quieter then.  I remember walking on the carriageway of the newly completed, but not yet open, M27. The M3 had also not been built back then, but the A33 was still busy. We made a short detour outside Winchester up St Catherine’s Hill which has the remains of an Iron Age hill fort. I repeated the walk a few times over the years and always enjoyed it, even the time when parts of the path were inundated or breached with water flowing between the river and the navigation canal. The Itchen is a good river to walk beside once you get away from the city. I have also walked parts of it further north on the Wayfarers Walk.

My parents have lived in Woolston for over 50 years.

Happy to oblige with an episode of "All our Yesterdays".

More to the point though BM - Climb or crawl?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:44:56, 06/08/20 »
Definitely climb for the tree.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:23:28, 07/08/20 »
Under - if only to prove my limbo dancing days are not quite over
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:24:08, 07/08/20 »
Under - if only to prove my limbo dancing days are not quite over
I can easily limbo dance as long as there is 6.5 feet of clearance  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy