Author Topic: Karrimor - 20K jackets  (Read 19185 times)

pfrench74

Karrimor - 20K jackets
« on: 14:34:47, 27/12/16 »
Afternoon All,
Sports Direct have some new (I think) jackets in which are Karrimor 20K Waterproof (believe the model is 'Ridge') for £64.99.  These aren't 'branded' fabric (eVent or Goretex etc) but their own brand WTX. 
They are actually really nice jackets in terms of style and fit, but I always feel a little suspicious about Karrimor to be honest.  Just looking for others' experience or thoughts.  I am probably over thinking it, and I'm a "budget" walker (not someone who'd ever blow £300+ on the latest Montane shell as much as I'd love to :)).

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Karrimor - 20K jackets
« Reply #1 on: 16:50:35, 27/12/16 »
but I always feel a little suspicious about Karrimor to be honest.

Probably with good reason as the Karrimor brand name has virtually been destroyed since Sports Direct bought it and now use it to peddle their cheap foreign made tat under the Karrimor brand name. The quality of the current Karrimor branded goods is definitely a far cry from that which was produced and sold when Karrimor used to be a market leading British manufacturing company selling top quality outdoor goods before they went bust.

I assume this is the jacket that you're looking at? http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-ridge-jacket-mens-442030 and as long as you've had a very close look at it and examined it for any evidence of poor stitching and the quality of the taping on the seams it will probably be OK but I'm not sure how long it would stay that way in regular use.

If it was me I would up my budget by £10 and compare it closely with the eVent based Karrimor Alpiniste jacket http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-alpiniste-jacket-mens-442151 or by £25 for the Karrimor Phantom jacket http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-phantom-jacket-mens-442129 which should both be better performing jackets than the Karrimor Ridge.

The one thing that really annoys me with Karrimor is that you will find it really difficult to find independent reviews - surprisingly there's none at all on their own website. When a company finds it necessary to take steps to hide the evidence provided in honest customer reviews showing examples of poor quality and poor customer service that alone should ring alarm bells and probably tells it's own story and is probably all you need to know to permanently cross them off your shopping list.

Another option for you to consider....you may find that you can get much better value for your money if you look at buying a second hand Paramo jacket or smock from eBay.

pfrench74

« Reply #2 on: 17:13:25, 27/12/16 »
Hey there, really appreciate the lengthy reply there. I checked out the Alpiniste one as well and that seemed ok as well. Makes you laugh though when they have the rrp at 300 for it 😀.
I'll have a proper look shortly

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:22:56, 27/12/16 »
There is no reason to be suspicious about Karrimor.
They may now be catering for the cheaper end of the market, but if the jackets look well made, and are a good fit, why not get one.
Karrimor never ventured anywhere near the clothing market when they were in their heyday, of the 1970s and 1980s.

They were alway's associated with the manufacture of very high quality reck sacs, until the company went into administration some years ago.

SportsDirect bought the company, and now use the name to market their own adventure gear.

If truth was known, these affordable jackets are probably made in the same factories in the Far East, that make clothing for the big brands, but are sold to a different clientel, where cost is an issue.

Ive got two bumbags made by Karrimor, purchased several years ago, and the quality is second to none.

What would you rather, spend several hundred pounds on a waterproof, that probably will not outlast this Karrimor, or £65 on a perfectly functional waterproof.

I no longer care, of having the right brand logo on my clothing, if the jacket performs well in the rain, that's all that really matters, and cost is no longer an issue for me, now that ive retired.

Just think, that £200+ youve saved on not buying the latest Goretex, could be spent on one cracking weekend away in your favourite haunt.

It would almost pay for expert tuition at Plas Y Brenin in Capel Curig.

If the jacket looks good, and is a good fit, get one, because really we should be thanking SportsDirect for making decent quality clothing at a sane price.
« Last Edit: 18:30:56, 27/12/16 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:40:19, 27/12/16 »
Irrespective of cost or quality, I will not purchase anything from Sports Direct given the recent expose of their employment policies.

Similarly I will not buy anything from Sir Philip Green's retail empire

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:45:48, 27/12/16 »
That's personal choice, and i respect you for it, but i do not like getting ripped off by the major sports shoe manufacturers.
Only recently i bought a new pair of New Balance running shoes for £25 from Sports Direct.
I tried all day looking for a competitor selling the same shoes at a similar price.
The cheapest on the internet, were nearly £20 more expensive.

Mr Green may be not everyones favourite businessman, but if he saves me money, then i thank him for it.

pfrench74

« Reply #6 on: 20:10:46, 27/12/16 »
There is no reason to be suspicious about Karrimor.
They may now be catering for the cheaper end of the market, but if the jackets look well made, and are a good fit, why not get one.
Karrimor never ventured anywhere near the clothing market when they were in their heyday, of the 1970s and 1980s.

They were alway's associated with the manufacture of very high quality reck sacs, until the company went into administration some years ago.

SportsDirect bought the company, and now use the name to market their own adventure gear.

If truth was known, these affordable jackets are probably made in the same factories in the Far East, that make clothing for the big brands, but are sold to a different clientel, where cost is an issue.

Ive got two bumbags made by Karrimor, purchased several years ago, and the quality is second to none.

What would you rather, spend several hundred pounds on a waterproof, that probably will not outlast this Karrimor, or £65 on a perfectly functional waterproof.

I no longer care, of having the right brand logo on my clothing, if the jacket performs well in the rain, that's all that really matters, and cost is no longer an issue for me, now that ive retired.

If the jacket looks good, and is a good fit, get one, because really we should be thanking SportsDirect for making decent quality clothing at a sane price.

Another cracking post. I think the suspicion is borne from the fact that its not Karrimor anymore and therefore it's no longer a stamp of quality at all. You need to try their gear and see what the fabrics and build quality is like and take it on its own merit.  For budget I've always gone for Regatta, Trespass,  or Tog 24 as at least (rightly or wrongly) it had some 'branding' attached to it. I think I'll get one and give it a go. Was really impressed with the fit, that's what really got me (I'm funny with sizes and not many coats really fit me well haha)

pfrench74

« Reply #7 on: 20:16:54, 27/12/16 »
SD actually have two different 20K jackets at the mo in store , the ridge one I mentioned in original post and a 'Hot Rock ' one. Plus a couple of others that aren't in the one by me but you seem to be able to get online (the Alpiniste and the Phantom - which are eVent rather than WTX)

hiho

« Reply #8 on: 22:06:27, 27/12/16 »

Mr Green may be not everyones favourite businessman, but if he saves me money, then i thank him for it.

Just bought a sabre45 bag from them, but £70+ is better in my pocket than some one else's

ps SD is owned by Mike Astley not Green of BHS
« Last Edit: 00:57:20, 28/12/16 by hiho »

Cyberhiker

« Reply #9 on: 22:24:57, 27/12/16 »
I can vouch for the Karrimor Alpiniste Event jacket, which I bought from SD a few years ago. It's extremely light and very breathable and served me very well on a number of long distance hikes. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:14:04, 28/12/16 »
I knew the owners of Karrimor, based in north Lancashire.   Their history goes back to cycle saddlebags, made to last for ever, still got one somewhere.  Wonder what happened to the workers in their factory when they were taken over. Where is the gear made now? And they certainly did start to manufacture clothing such as jackets.
« Last Edit: 00:18:30, 28/12/16 by altirando »

nesty

« Reply #11 on: 21:46:23, 28/12/16 »
I had a pair of Karrimor boots back in 2000 and they lasted fine for years. Though when they were a true UK company.
However, now as Kinkyboots says Sportsdirect owns them and peddles crap out under the Karrimor. brand name.
It annoys me displaying a union jack flag to say British build quality, when it's made in china and it;s complete crap.
Looks at the reviews on the KSB boots at £65 all say eyelets break off very easy!

pfrench74

« Reply #12 on: 08:05:01, 29/12/16 »
Regards to Karrimor boots, I've had some good experience lately but seeing the online reviews say the similar things about the eyelets and hooks.
I've had a pair of 'Skido' for almost 3 years (though for general day to day usage rather than hiking) and another pair for a year. 
Currently looking at getting the 'Orkney V' (their brown leather boot with Vibram sole) as a hiking boot.  They do a pair of boots called 'Jaguar' which where the best feeling/fitting boots I'd tried on but they were £80 and the trust just wasn't there (so I ended up going for a 90 quid of Hi tec ones).

nesty

« Reply #13 on: 21:25:39, 29/12/16 »
Regards to Karrimor boots, I've had some good experience lately but seeing the online reviews say the similar things about the eyelets and hooks.
I've had a pair of 'Skido' for almost 3 years (though for general day to day usage rather than hiking) and another pair for a year. 
Currently looking at getting the 'Orkney V' (their brown leather boot with Vibram sole) as a hiking boot.  They do a pair of boots called 'Jaguar' which where the best feeling/fitting boots I'd tried on but they were £80 and the trust just wasn't there (so I ended up going for a 90 quid of Hi tec ones).

I think with any boots for normal walking etc I think Karrimor would be ok. For serious use up mountains on a consistant basis, I would think not!
However out of the Karrimor range if I had to select a boot the skido looks the most durable. Very much like my Peter Storm Langdales with Vibram sole. Now I have solved the insole issue, they ok for usual walking & low level, but I wouldn't take them up Nevis. I have regatta for that! 

Must admit though I grew up with Hi-tec from the 80's. Remember the advert 4WD for your feet! Had a pair of White basketboot boots of theres in 80's and football boots.All lasted years. I currently have a pair of their walking shoes all very good, fit my feet really well!
« Last Edit: 21:30:48, 29/12/16 by nesty »

pfrench74

« Reply #14 on: 06:45:49, 30/12/16 »
I think with any boots for normal walking etc I think Karrimor would be ok. For serious use up mountains on a consistant basis, I would think not!
However out of the Karrimor range if I had to select a boot the skido looks the most durable. Very much like my Peter Storm Langdales with Vibram sole. Now I have solved the insole issue, they ok for usual walking & low level, but I wouldn't take them up Nevis. I have regatta for that! 

Must admit though I grew up with Hi-tec from the 80's. Remember the advert 4WD for your feet! Had a pair of White basketboot boots of theres in 80's and football boots.All lasted years. I currently have a pair of their walking shoes all very good, fit my feet really well!

I *think* the Skido and Orkney boots are pretty much the same except Skido uses their own generic grip sole and Orkney uses Vibram.

I love my Hi Tec boots but not sure where they (Hi Tec) fit on the general order /scale of quality. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy