Author Topic: Safety whilst coastal walking alone - GPS device or ViewRanger BuddyBeacon?  (Read 5853 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Wandering away from the subject a bit aren't we?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I have the answer Beth!  Get 2 tin cans and some string.  Attach one end of the string to the base of a tin can and give it to someone you trust.  Set off on your walk maintaining a decent tension on the string as you go. If you get into difficulties, cut the string and attach it to the base of the other tin.  Now give the string a couple of sharp tugs to attract your friend's attention then yell your message into the tin.  That way your friend will know what's wrong and if they follow the string they will be able to find you.  Low cost, no phone app, no batteries needed, no phone signal required, no radio operator's certificate required, what could possibly go wrong?
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Thanks for the clarification, Alan. Things have obviously moved on.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Beth FF

Wow, thanks for all the replies! My options seem to be:

1.  Send regular texts to someone, saying where I am. Needs a mobile signal though.
2. Pay for something like Garmin InReach, which relies on signals via satellite rather than mobile phone masts
3. Use a Spot device. It requires a yearly subscription but as it works on satellites and has a panic button
4. Get a dog tracker eg Tractive Dog GPS Tracker. But needs a mobile signal
5. Go for a Personal Locator Beacon which I can activate if I'm in trouble.
6. Use Viewranger buddy beacon and have battery pack backups.

My main concern is getting into difficulties and not having a phone signal to get help. I’ve been in places where even texts don’t send, so relying on my mobile makes me rather uncomfortable, as does battery drain. I can see the merits of sending regular texts though as it’s the simplest solution. Good to hear that I can expect to encounter people on the SWCP, even in poor weather/the winter, because some areas are many miles from the nearest road.

I don't know who you are, but I am getting the feeling you are doing 'Something Significant'.  So why not tap into that and get sponsored by a company that sells these devices?
I suppose I am doing something pretty big, I’m walking the coast of Britain to raise awareness and funds for the RNLI and Lowland Rescue. I gave up my home and started walking from Tower RNLI station, Westminster on 3rd October and have walked continuously since, covering the coast of Kent, Sussex, Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, and Dorset up to Poole. Getting sponsorship would be ideal so I’ll try your suggestion.

I have the answer Beth!  Get 2 tin cans and some string...
Nailed it!  ;D

taxino8

So this thread has got me thinking that I might need one of these, I’m a fit 60 year old but you never know if you’ve got something about to give in on you at this age and maybe I should get one as I tend to walk solo, mainly in the North Lakes.
Of course you aren’t usually far from people walking there and there is some mobile coverage, particularly if you are high up.

That’s got me looking at the Spot X and both of the Garmin InReach models.
So which one do I go for (if I decided to go ahead) as there are many conflicting reviews about each and every one?
Cost isn’t really an important factor I just want to know if they work effectively.

Can anyone who owns one of these devices tell me the pros and cons of their own particular device.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
So actually what do the Spine racers use.
They seem to be proven technology.

Can they be used by individuals? Or are they only for mass usage?

Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I may be wrong but I think 10 Tors use Spot.
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member

Can anyone who owns one of these devices tell me the pros and cons of their own particular device.

I have the InReach SE,

Pro's,
Two way text communications.
SOS alert.
Route tracking.
Reasonably long battery life between charging.
UBS battery charging.

Con's
Expensive.
Needs a subscription but this can be suspended when not in use. 
Extra weight. 240g, + Anker powerpack 197g, Solar panel ~ 300g.

Whether you really need one for the North Lakes is up to you.

taxino8

I have the InReach SE,

Pro's,
Two way text communications.
SOS alert.
Route tracking.
Reasonably long battery life between charging.
UBS battery charging.

Con's
Expensive.
Needs a subscription but this can be suspended when not in use. 
Extra weight. 240g, + Anker powerpack 197g, Solar panel ~ 300g.

Whether you really need one for the North Lakes is up to you.
Thanks for your info, it all helps.
I’m a bit of a gadget nut too so I can see me buying something like this in the New Year but I’d like to get the one that is the most reliable.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy