Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292233 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #735 on: 19:01:26, 15/05/19 »
I find the midge nets a bit claustrophobic, but they do work, even though they don’t stop the midges swarming around you.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #736 on: 19:43:02, 15/05/19 »
I have paid out to an online firm but I'm worried that I might have fallen for a scam? I ordered a Rab Vital Hoody for £24.64 on the 5th May, seemed to be about £50ish everywhere else.

It's now 15th May and doubts are now creeping into my mind that my desire for a cheap price has possibly dropped me in it? I've emailed the firm twice and they send me a copy of my invoice each time but nothing else.

I won't name the firm yet, for all I know my suspicion may be way out of order as it might turn up tomorrow. I've never had to wait this long for a delivery before and to date I've never been caught out by an internet purchase but as they say, there's always a first time.

Their delivery section said it was going to be delivered by something called 'Best Way?' I almost bought a down blanket from another firm the other day but on seeing that they too were offering 'Best Way' delivery I decided not to purchase again until I have clarity about my Rab hoody purchase.

Simple golden rules to follow for all online purchases.

Does the website in question list a full UK address including postcode and a UK landline telephone number? Is there an email address listed rather than just a few text boxes to fill in?

Is the website secure? Depending on the web browser being used it usually shows a little padlock or something similar in the address bar.

If the answer is no the chances are that you've been scammed.

If the price seems too good to be true the chances are it really is too good to be true and you've been scammed.

Engage brain and pay special attention when buying anything online!  ::)

Worse still I'm assuming that they now have your full name and address together with your card details.

My advice would be not to wait any longer! Take immediate action and contact your card issuer with the details and your concerns and to check if there's been any unauthorised expenditure on your account.

Feel free to name and shame to warn others who may be tempted.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #737 on: 20:44:56, 15/05/19 »
Google will show you that there is a valid, genuine "Bestway" delivery company.
If coming from Europe then you may need to wait  another couple of days, and if from China at least another week.

Too little, too late, too bad......

taxino8

« Reply #738 on: 07:17:27, 16/05/19 »
Osprey Exos 38.
I’ve just got a real bargain off Amazon, new for £63.74.
I’ve posted the link in the bargain thread.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #739 on: 16:04:27, 16/05/19 »
My 1974 Showell Styles copy of walking the Rhinogs.

Ive been looking for a copy for yonks, but i had to go to book finding service to get hold of one.

£22 was not a bargain, but its a rare publication, and like his others in the Snowdonia District Guide books series,  its worth the investment.

Their still amongst the best books ive got on the different areas of the National Park.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #740 on: 15:07:56, 25/05/19 »

A TrekMate Polar Choob for £10, for my planned winter campaign in the Lake District (if my house move goes according to plan, that is).

Just like a Polar Buff, but £17 cheaper.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Litehiker

« Reply #741 on: 22:24:35, 25/05/19 »
OSPREY ATMOS 65 backpack. 25% off at $199. on sale at REI, a US membership based co-op company.

I got it B/C it weighs 4.6 lbs. and am selling my 25 year old, 70 liter Dana Terraplane pack which weighs 7.5 lbs.! Recently I discovered people will pay $200. for this pack as it has become a "collector's item". Good, that pays for the Atmos 65.

I'll the Atmos 65 is only for winter and hunting season to haul out quartered deer, etc. My 2.5 lb. Osprey EXOS 58 is my 3 season pack.

The Atmos 65 is even more comfortable than the EXOS 58. With a vertically sliding shoulder harness thermos series can be made to fit very well. And the belt is also very adjustable in the hip area.

Eric B.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #742 on: 08:37:34, 26/05/19 »
4.6 lb?

That'll be almost 2.2kg - not as light as I would expect for a modern backpack.

My 30 year old Karrimor Jaguar 65 weighs 1.8kg, by way of comparison. Still in use (just back from a wild camp on the local clifftops).

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #743 on: 08:42:43, 26/05/19 »

@ Eric - If you want a pack for serious load carrying, I recommend the Tatonka Lastenkraxe.

https://www.tatonka.com/en/Backpacks-Trekking-Backpacks-Lastenkraxe/1130

Used to use these for hauling awkward loads up to lighthouses (fire extinguishers, lighthouse lanterns, jerrycans etc). Without doubt the most comfortable pack that I have ever worn.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #744 on: 09:49:58, 26/05/19 »
GUNWHARFMAN You are the master of suspense. Did your Rab Vital Hoodie arrive or not?

Too little, too late, too bad......

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #745 on: 10:44:06, 26/05/19 »
A full length Neo Air thermarest, I've been using a short Neo Air for a few years but it's tapered from the shoulders down and I find I keep rolling off. The new one isn't tapered as well as being longer. Hopefully I'll stay on this one. It's actually only a few grammes heavier that the short one.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #746 on: 15:28:43, 26/05/19 »
NO, my Rab Vital has never arrived. I've written to the firm 4 times now and all I get back is an email showing me what I ordered and that I have paid for it.

The site is called 'On Line Store' and the site is www.prakashjiwadarts.co.uk. My item was ordered on the 1st May 2019, paid for by credit card.

The courier firm is identified as EMS.

This is the first time one of my internet orders has failed to arrive.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #747 on: 16:02:25, 26/05/19 »
The site is called 'On Line Store' and the site is www.prakashjiwadarts.co.uk. My item was ordered on the 1st May 2019, paid for by credit card.
One of my tests for if I will order on line is that there is a postal address and landline phone number.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #748 on: 16:21:53, 26/05/19 »
I don't think you will be getting your Rab Vital at all, Gunwharfman, it looks like a dodgy site.
The is no address or phone number on the website and no information about the company.
The URL is not secure, it is http instead of https.
The name of the company would be enough to deter me from ordering from them, my prejudices plays some part part in this I know, but it would make me doubly cautious. There are also typos and grammatical errors in the FAQ.
Do you recall if there was a padlock symbol in the address bar when you placed your order?
It's time, I think, to report it to ActionFraud (a toothless organisation, but you might as well) and to contact your card provider to get your money back.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #749 on: 16:24:53, 26/05/19 »
I think my desire for such a cheap price overruled sensible judgement!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy