Author Topic: ViewRanger OS subscriptions  (Read 1080 times)

Percy

• Veteran Member
ViewRanger OS subscriptions
« on: 17:37:25, 10/12/19 »
Has anyone noticed a change in how OS map subscriptions work with ViewRanger?

I used to have the whole of the country downloaded onto my phone at 1:25k. So I could roam freely with my phone on airplane mode and always see maps.

This seems to have changed - I was out in the Peak District this weekend and suddenly fell off the map  :(

Luckily there was a decent signal when I turned airplane mode off so was able to download the relevant tiles.

In the app I can see how to download a particular area but not how to download everything which seems a real faff. To download an area at 1:25k I have to be zoomed in at that level - it’s then showing a very small area - so it’s even more of a faff.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Am I missing a way to grab everything?

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: ViewRanger OS subscriptions
« Reply #1 on: 17:45:39, 10/12/19 »
I’ve sort of answered my question with more fiddling about. Still a bleeding faff but less so. ;D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:28:18, 10/12/19 »
Not sure what problem you are having.  I have it downloaded. I also have the satellite views of any route I want to take downloaded. Never needed to go online whilst out. Or have I just been lucky.

(I did get a flat battery once, due entirely to the fact that I am a dimwit, which taught me a very important lesson)
Too little, too late, too bad......

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:12:57, 11/12/19 »
Not sure what problem you are having.  I have it downloaded. I also have the satellite views of any route I want to take downloaded. Never needed to go online whilst out. Or have I just been lucky.

(I did get a flat battery once, due entirely to the fact that I am a dimwit, which taught me a very important lesson)
Are you sure you have it downloaded? I thought I did too but was wrong.

If you have a minute I would be interested for you to try this: put your phone on airplane mode to mimic having no signal, open ViewRanger and go to a part of the country you have never used the app in. When you zoom right in do you see the 1:25k mapping?

When I first took out my subscription there was a single button to download the whole of GB. Now it seems you have to scroll round the map downloading it in drips and drabs. It took me 20 minutes to get just the Peak District, in 5 or 6 chunks with associated scrolling, zooming and multiple clicking. Lord knows how long the whole country would take.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:59:03, 11/12/19 »
Checked in airplane mode. All the OS premium maps are there. I seem to remember that I bought the biggest memory card possible for my last phone plus one just as big for my simless phone ( I use this cheap larger screen one for dedicated gps use.)

Now the thing is that if you don't download to your device then all your purchased maps etc are held in VRs servers and are therefore only available online. Which has its benefits when sitting at home online planning stuff, maybe. However you have got to physically download any premium and some free ones to get offline use, not only download but download to the actual device you are going to use. Some maps are only available online such as Bing Aerial. I never realised that they had a single button to download, must have missed that, then again, I probably did use it at the time.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:38:31, 11/12/19 »
How do you download the entire country at 1:25k in one go? That is my question. You used to be able to do that but it seems you no longer can.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:44:45, 11/12/19 »
How do you download the entire country at 1:25k in one go? That is my question. You used to be able to do that but it seems you no longer can.
Never noticed that you could in the first place.

I had already purchased a load of os map tiles prior to being one of the first to take out an annual subscription.

I do remember sitting at my PC for hours poring over the Maps.
OS are so much better than IGN.

I must have used the no longer existing button.

Have you thought to contact VR for help. They are extremely good at customer queries, which is something important I will include in my personal comparisons to other apps over the next month or so.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy