Author Topic: Prices for camping  (Read 5499 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Prices for camping
« Reply #15 on: 09:50:15, 07/07/14 »
If you are carrying a small tent etc. wild camping isn't a problem along this part of the SWCP. There are plenty of spots on the cliffs outside the farmland and as distances between refuelling spots are not long it's easy to replenish food and water supplies. Don't miss the Compasses pub at Worth Matravers. It's a mile inland but worth the visit on a longer stretch without other refreshment.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:50:20, 07/07/14 »
Yet again its all about greed. Prices going up, facilities going down. Couldn't help noticing one local owner in his bright new Discovery (£60,000)
Its a field with a toilet block on it.  >:(
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:37:03, 07/07/14 »
Yet again its all about greed. Prices going up, facilities going down. Couldn't help noticing one local owner in his bright new Discovery (£60,000)
Its a field with a toilet block on it.  >:(

This wouldn't be in Horton would it? Lol
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:16:02, 07/07/14 »
The YHA website has it at beds from £17.

I agree youth hostels and camp sites are shocking value for money which is why I only use them if there is no alternative.

A much better approach is to join the major mountaineering clubs who have properties all over the UK.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:04:13, 08/07/14 »

The YHA website has it at beds from £17.

£10 at Grasmere (£13 minus £3 YHA members discount)  :)

Paul_G

« Reply #20 on: 13:13:15, 22/07/14 »
My son is currently walking the SWCP and camping/bivvying. he has learned to avoid anything that says "Holiday Park" or has a swimming pool, children's play area or upmarket restaurant etc. in order to keep the price down. Farm campsites a mile away from the coast are often £5/6 per night, even in high season. One tip worth passing on is to phone up around 5 PM to confirm availability for an 8 PM arrival and ask what their "backpacker price" is. Obviously, the campsite owner realises that if the price is too high my son has three hours to find an alternative. It seems to focus their attention. To give some campsites their due, some do list lower backpacker/cyclist rates.

Stube

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:02:02, 22/07/14 »
I backpacked the SWCP Exmouth to Poole section in late May 2012.

The typical prices then was £10 for a one man backpacker tent. Range £4 - £14. 

Cheap sites:

Exmouth, Pratthayes Farm £4
Axmouth, Axmouth C/S  £5
Langton Maltravers, Tom's Field £5

All these are full service sites.

The NT St Gabriels Campsite was £2. Water tap only - no toilets.

Prices are considerably higher in high season - June thru mid September.

South coast prices are always much higher than those in the north. Double would be a good working guide. - This applies to B&Bs (and beer) as well. Mountain huts don't exist and any independent hostels charge more than the YHA.

Wild camping is (just) possible but requires great care - the NT has a blanket ban, and they own all the coast which isn't built on or is a caravan park!

It may be grim up north, but rambling is a lot easier and cheaper!!

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:16:40, 22/07/14 »
Aye y're right tis grim up north...

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:09:13, 22/07/14 »
Six quid for a backpacker on the site in Barmouth, which has cracking facilities this weekend (although don't go if you're grumpy about bucket-and-spade holiday makers and their offspring and doggies - and nine quid and they looked after my car for four days at Cwm Nantcol at Llanbedr whilst I went off on a wander - and the facilities are good, although not quite big enough for the numbers of weekend campers
Llanbedr was reasonable ( and very friendly) and Barmouth was cheap.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:05:21, 24/07/14 »
When on the SWCP I think I was only once asked to pay more then £5. Most people asked if I was a back packer and the response was £5. When I was doing JOGLE for a charity and the owners found out I was  often not charged so I put that into the charity pot.

My recent experiences on our tour of Wales were (wild camping excepted) £5 to £12.

Some cheeky sods charge extra for the Dog- in one place in the South West of England £5 ( :o) even though he gains no benefit - does not use the bog or shower and there are no facilities for him. The usual Dog charge is £1-2 but he is often let off the charge because of his smile, it does not work for me.

gatebuilder

« Reply #25 on: 02:22:03, 09/08/14 »
{f you are solo the camping and caravan club are reasonable once you join and facilities are spot on

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy